Chaining a B26 on 18' Trailer

jjverb

Equipment
B26, thumb, forks (Bobcat style) and absolutely love them for moving juniper.
Apr 17, 2016
Kerrville, TX
www.jjverb.com
I saw something on this but I'll be danged if I can find it now on the forum.

Just picked up the 18' trailer and got 2 - 20' chains. Can I cut the chains in half and will they be long enough? Seems that one chain longer than the trailer itself can be cut in half and be long enough to connect at 4 points, front and back of the tractor with some to spare.

Will get four G70 hooks to complete the 4 - 10 foot chains.

Am asking because I haven't put the tractor on the trailer yet.

Thanks - John

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Bite the bullet and get more chain. Ya never have all that you need in the long run. Remember chain tighteners also. Usually we try to keep it from going forwards and also not falling off the back.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I just went thru the same thing. I bought 4 ratchet boomers and 2 20' towing chains with the thought if I had to I would cut the chains in half and add hooks. I took my pile of chains and hooks to the dealer to pick up my new 2501 last week and per their direction I use one 20' up front and one 20' in the back and two of the four ratchet boomers I bought. It worked fine but of course I did not wreck so therefore what I did is meaningless. I plan to pick up a couple more chains down the road before I move the tractor again. I was being cheap as I spent over 20K on a tractor, implements, carport, and a trailer and didn't want to push the wife any further. That said I had 2 chains rated at 5800 pounds or more holding down 4000lbs. In theory it should be fine but if I were to have wrecked I am not sure what kind of forces would have been presented to my set up. Since my dealer is very well respected with multiple dealerships I rolled with their set up. If nothing else I have a bunch of 10k ratchet straps so I may use the same chain set up and supplement with my ratchet straps in the future.

OldMasterTech

Equipment
KX057-4, KX121-3, L4630GST, RTV1100, AT60, T1700, T1560, 555E
Mar 28, 2011
Massachusetts
Your B26 is a TLB?
If so to be DOT compliant your front loader and hoe need to be chained as well.
You might need a revised chain budget!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We use two chains and four ratchet binders frequently. No need to butcher the chain.

No pics but a crude drawing. The one end of the chain is taken through an attachment point of the equipment and then through a trailer anchoring point and hooked on itself. Then one ratchet binder is hooked on the chain in two places as shown and tightened. Repeat for the other side. That makes both ends of the chain tight and leaves the slack in the middle.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Make sure after its chained, that the loader and back hoe need to be dropped to the deck and strapped as well. A 10,000 lb rated ratchet strap on the loader bucket and backhoe bucket will meet the dot requirement

jjverb

Equipment
B26, thumb, forks (Bobcat style) and absolutely love them for moving juniper.
Apr 17, 2016
Kerrville, TX
www.jjverb.com
OP here. Thanks a lot for the information. The drawing is especially good using two 20' chains to do the job.

I do have the TLB and fortunately I have two smaller chains and smaller lever binders that I will use to hold down the buckets front and back.

After reading these posts, I went out and figured out and marked where the tractor is going to sit on the trailer. The chains will work with plenty to spare to cross-anchor side to side, both front and back. So I got out the chop saw and made 4 ten footers and ordered 4 G70 hooks on eBay.

All that will be left is to weld on some d-rings for the chains that hold the buckets on.

Many thanks - John