Chain saw advice

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I appreciate all the replies. Ended up going with a Stihl 170. I'm sure the Echo would've been good but the Stihl was 2" longer and $20 cheaper. Thanks again!
You'll be pleased. Ive never owned a 170 but did have a 180 years ago. It was a heck of a saw for the price. I cant remember exactly why I got rid of it unless it was to upgrade to larger saw.

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
I am planning on getting a Stihl, if I live long enough to outlast my 1977 McCulloch ProMac 650. It just keeps running. It's heavy, but it eats wood with relish. About ten years ago, it became hard to start- then I realized it still had the original spark plug. Bought a new plug, & it fires right up. The saw pictured below isn't mine- mine looks like new. I did have to put a new starter rope on it a few years ago; maintenance is killing me.:D

I have a Pro Mac 650 as well. It was my first real chain saw. I also have two Stihls which I love as well. But that 650 is like an Alaskan sled dog, it has an eagerness to destroy wood and just runs like a champ!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Stihl makes just as many crappy box store saws as any other brand. .
Sorry, you are 100% wrong.
Stihl only sells through dealers who can service. If by chance a "box store" has a service center within it then yes, you can find a Stihl there.....but that possibility is very slim.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
If you go on the arborist forums this argument goes on and on and on...i have Stihl. I had some issues right out of the box. Pretty much starting it was a PITA. After two dealer trips and call to Stihl the only thing that help with the starting issue was thanks to a youtube video. The youtube video pretty much said the starting instuctions were wrong :eek: every since then i have started the saw up per the video and have not had a problem since. Starts everytime!

If i'm going to buy another saw i might look at someone of the more professional brands other than stihl. There was a better more servicable saws recommend on some of the other forums that I will probably consider if i need another one.

workhorse

Jan 14, 2016
Alden, franklinville, boston
Wow, I thought mine was the last one still around.:)
Finally got my dad to set his down and get a new saw. Ended up with a husky XP. Twice the power and a quarter of the weight.

If I had a nickel for the storys about that mcullah I've had to listen to.... Hands down an awesome running saw, but it's like holding a cinderblock !!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk