chain breaking

ray

Equipment
B7610, B48ca, and snowblower
Sep 11, 2010
Stilesville, N.B.
I have a B48ca rototiller (kubota) and struck a rock which in turn caused the chain to break. No problem to repair although I would like to know if there some type of device such as a shear pin in the drive shaft that should have broken first thus preventing the chain from breaking? There are slip clutchs on some tillers and movers. On this tiller there are two plates bolted together with a rubber set in between same; however that would appear to be more of a vibration damper rather than a clutch.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Does the pto shaft pin to the gear box or does it hook up on a 6 spline shaft like the tractor has? If it pins on it may have a bolt that is to hard to shear.

vino

Equipment
rotavator
Mar 9, 2011
ireland
Hi,I recently bought a rototiller and second time using it the chain broke.There is no model no.visible,only10807 stamped on plate and 5708D stamped on gearbox.The tilling width is approx 4'6" and there are 30 tines,it looks very similar to the one in the video on the site.Problem with the chain is that nobody here in Ireland stock a chain which is 7/8" pitch.Can anyone give me info on chain or tiller please?
regards vino

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
Many towns have places that will stock and sell all kinds of chains and/or belts. You rarely have to buy an OEM chain or belt for anything - just bring the old one. They usually have names like 'Industrial motion' or something like that.

With respect to your question, yes, something should have sacrificed itself for the chain. Its not unusual for a rototiller to encounter something which will stop it dead in its tracks. My tiller is a 'professional duty' one and it has a slip clutch PTO, so when the tiller encounters a rock or something the PTO turns, but the clutch slips to save its various bits and pieces. I don't know if non-ag duty tillers use that or shear bolts.

vino

Equipment
rotavator
Mar 9, 2011
ireland
Looked at mcmaster web site but cannot see any chain with 7/8"pitch.Any idea what model rototiller I have?
vino

Mingy

Equipment
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
Also, McMaster Carr usually will not ship to new customers outside the US anymore. They cite 'homeland security' as the justification.

No telling what damage you could do with a chain and master link ...

The idiots

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
i,ve been a millwright and mechanic all my life and have never come across
any 7/8 pitch chain. for this chain to be 7/8 pitch it would have #70 stamped
on it. i,ll bet it has #60 stamped on it , 60 means six 1/8 =3/4 pitch. now a
well worn #60 chain streched out could measure 7/8. look at the side links
for the #
Louis

vino

Equipment
rotavator
Mar 9, 2011
ireland
Here are a few photos of my rototiller inc.one of the brocken chain.If you can see the measuring tape it measures 7/8".On the outside link OCM is stamped,on the inside link 6E is stamped.The pitch is definitely 7/8".Anyone identify rototiller or chain please.
vino

Attachments

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a B48ca rototiller (kubota) and struck a rock which in turn caused the chain to break. No problem to repair although I would like to know if there some type of device such as a shear pin in the drive shaft that should have broken first thus preventing the chain from breaking? There are slip clutchs on some tillers and movers. On this tiller there are two plates bolted together with a rubber set in between same; however that would appear to be more of a vibration damper rather than a clutch.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
They are pricey ($160 at my local Tractor Supply), but you could always get a slipper clutch for it. They even have complete drive shafts, with the clutch included, for $199.

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
that is oddball all right. is there much wear in the chain. like push together and pull. hard to tell by the pic, the top sproket looks worn. i wish u luck
finding a new chain.
Louis

vino

Equipment
rotavator
Mar 9, 2011
ireland
Not much wear in chain and chain was continuous,no connecting link.Any idea what model rototiller is?
vino

Mingy

Equipment
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
You might look in to simply replacing the sprockets and the chain if you can't find a replacement. Sprockets aren't that expensive.