Catastrophic Hub Failure

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
12 ga #6 shot for your little buddy there...
CaBOOM...
Tarantulas aren’t venomous or aggressive. They just walk slowly going about their business and usually run away from people.

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This guy was definitely on a mission- headed straight east. I got in front of him till I could get the camera ready, but he just went up & over my shoe. Could not get a decent photo of him on the ground, so I threw that white rag in front of him & he just motored over it like it wasn't there.

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This guy was definitely on a mission- headed straight east. I got in front of him till I could get the camera ready, but he just went up & over my shoe. Could not get a decent photo of him on the ground, so I threw that white rag in front of him & he just motored over it like it wasn't there.
Seen the biggest ones when our 5th wheel was in Strawberry / Pine, AZ when we were there.
The ones there are harmless, but they still freak me out!

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Those tarantulas get a bad rap, because they are large and mean looking. They are venomous, but not much. Think a mild bee sting. What hurts the most is the fact that the fangs can be as large as wooden toothpicks. Stick a toothpick into your arm, you'll get the idea. Raised a son who had to have a Tarantula as a pet. Got him one. I used to let it crawl over me sometimes. If the sand-sized brain doesn't feel a threat, you're good. Chilean Red I think the breed was called. Leave 'em alone and they'll leave you alone. Whip Scorpions or Vinagaroos are a different story. Harmless but they seem to chase you.

Anyway.

Glad you were able to fix your K, MacGyver style.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Don't see how wheel weights would usually impact a hub - the weight goes from the weight straight down the tires onto the ground. Except the backhoe - when it's in the air on the outriggers then those weights are all pulling on the hub. They do recommend you not ballast the tires on a backhoe equipped tractor, so maybe that also goes for wheel weights? Other than the backhoe I'd say it's not the weights.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Glad your ok.

Like you said, that could have been way worse.

Nice "bush fix" though. (y)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: wheel weights
two ways they can do damage
1) extra mass when starting to roll and stopping
2) if not 100% parallel to rim ,every rotation stresses the hub 'in-out-in-out'

All the mechanical engineers can apply the proper terms

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Glad there was no human injury! Very clever bush fix on your part!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Except the backhoe - when it's in the air on the outriggers then those weights are all pulling on the hub.
I try to always keep the rear tires on the ground when using the BH- more points of contact, more stability.
Sometimes not possible when on some sidehill, but I try.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
re: wheel weights
two ways they can do damage
1) extra mass when starting to roll and stopping
2) if not 100% parallel to rim ,every rotation stresses the hub 'in-out-in-out'

All the mechanical engineers can apply the proper terms
Yep.

I might as well ad: Every time you hit a bump the tractor goes a bit airborne and that extra weight is transmitted to the hub flange.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Your going to make me do at least a visual inspection on mine. I still have to old style. But to have that break while plowing this winter would be a very bad day. Sorry that this happened to you but things like this make some of us look at things we may otherwise not

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Got a chance to study the break a little.
First, to be clear, the weld did not fail- the steel of the 1/2 hex failed.
The weld probably caused a stressor in the 1/2 hex steel, as it fractured right next to the weld.
Tried to take some detailed pics, but not very successful.
In person, it is obvious that one half of the hex steel failed sometime ago, and hammered on itself repeatedly, producing a very shiny, almost peened surface. (the upper portion of the hex in these pics)
The lower half is definitely a much grainier surface, so I think the top half had been broken for a long time, and the lower half letting go caused the sudden collapse.
There was no rust anywhere, but this is Arizona.
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I think your analysis is right on the mark! Stress riser over time was the culprit.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
In looking at picture in post #5 , there isn't a lost of 'steel' where the hub 'disc' is welded to the 'shaft' In section. I'd want a nice thick fillet of weld between the two,or better an additional 1/4" thick 'disc'.