Caroni tillers-forward or reverse rotation?

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Tarter has been supplying Tractor Supply implements for a few years now.

http://tarterusa.com/tarter-products/rotary-tiller/

Watch the video on the link -- that is a TSC implement. Look in the background of the video and you see lines of "County Line" implements. You can pay a whole lot more than TSC charges for tillers, but you won't be buying a better product. Made in USA as well -- Caroni is made in europe. TSC regularly sends out 10% off coupons.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Tarter has been supplying Tractor Supply implements for a few years now.

http://tarterusa.com/tarter-products/rotary-tiller/

Watch the video on the link -- that is a TSC implement. Look in the background of the video and you see lines of "County Line" implements. You can pay a whole lot more than TSC charges for tillers, but you won't be buying a better product. Made in USA as well -- Caroni is made in europe. TSC regularly sends out 10% off coupons.
While what you say is possible it is also possible their production line is divided. Lower quality (cheaper to manufacture) units come out one spot and and higher quality out another. Each one gets painted according to brand.. yellow lower quality and powerdcoated gun metal grey or bright yellow the higher quality.

Have NO CLUE if this is how it is...... it's just a possibility to consider

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
The orange units are the cheaper units (still tarter). The yellow units are Tarter with a county line sticker (has tarter stickers as well). It's easier and typically cheaper to manufacture all of the same product -- economies of scale. Yellow TSC units are gear driven and reversible. The yellow unit in the video tilling blocks and asphalt is the unit available at TSC (yellow). TSC carries both yellow and orange tarter implements.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
May take a road trip to TSC (to look at their version of the KK) and ASC (to look at the Caroni). Also, not too far away is a KK dealer. I'm giving some reconsideration of the Caroni. I want to be able to cover my tracks so will have to go with a 7' KK that doesn't shift (TSC). The largest Caroni is 67", but can be shifted 6" to the right. The rear wheel width is around 76". This will allow me to cover the tracks (barely) plus I can get it between the fenders on my trailer (83"). I'll use it mostly for customers who want their garden tilled or small deer plots. I don't get much other work during late fall and winter, so trying to get some income then. Since it's a business investment I've got to at least try to make the numbers work.
I appreciate the comments.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
May take a road trip to TSC (to look at their version of the KK) and ASC (to look at the Caroni). Also, not too far away is a KK dealer. I'm giving some reconsideration of the Caroni. I want to be able to cover my tracks so will have to go with a 7' KK that doesn't shift (TSC). The largest Caroni is 67", but can be shifted 6" to the right. The rear wheel width is around 76". This will allow me to cover the tracks (barely) plus I can get it between the fenders on my trailer (83"). I'll use it mostly for customers who want their garden tilled or small deer plots. I don't get much other work during late fall and winter, so trying to get some income then. Since it's a business investment I've got to at least try to make the numbers work.
I appreciate the comments.
TSC carries Tarter now -- not KK. As far as I know Tarter doesn't own KK and vice versa. I've heard many times that KK couldn't keep up with TSC demand and so they switched. Tarter units are rock solid, gear driven, reversible, and self-sharpening tines. There are 6 blades per tine set, and all of them are slightly offset from the previous making a helical shape on the tilling shaft for a constant and smooth power draw on the machine. It's the best unit for the money at any price point as far as I'm concerned. I run a 60" w/ a 38hp tractor and it doesn't load the engine up at all. Just chugs along and if it was for the occasional rock getting thrown out the rear, you wouldn't really know it was back there.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
... I want to be able to cover my tracks so will have to go with a 7' KK that doesn't shift (TSC).
The largest Caroni is 67", but can be shifted 6" to the right... This will allow me to cover the tracks (barely) plus I can get it between the fenders on my trailer (83")...
So you really need a 7' (or half a foot wider), but how would you trailer it? Lift it above the rails, or modify your trailer.

For business use, I can't see how you could get by with having to switch the tiller every row or every two rows unless it is ridiculously easy. (Could you lift the Caroni, shift it to the opposite side, and drop it in the 5 or 6 seconds it would take you to make a turn?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
BotaDriver, what part of North Ga do you live in? Just curious, unless they have change my TSC still has KK and County Line implements. I haven't looked in a few months though.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
TSC carries Tarter now -- not KK. As far as I know Tarter doesn't own KK and vice versa. I've heard many times that KK couldn't keep up with TSC demand and so they switched. Tarter units are rock solid, gear driven, reversible, and self-sharpening tines. There are 6 blades per tine set, and all of them are slightly offset from the previous making a helical shape on the tilling shaft for a constant and smooth power draw on the machine. It's the best unit for the money at any price point as far as I'm concerned. I run a 60" w/ a 38hp tractor and it doesn't load the engine up at all. Just chugs along and if it was for the occasional rock getting thrown out the rear, you wouldn't really know it was back there.
Ok, I guess I'm a little confused. I thought what TSC carries (County Line) and KK were pretty much the same. The description and photos look very similar.....some small differences.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
So you really need a 7' (or half a foot wider), but how would you trailer it? Lift it above the rails, or modify your trailer.

For business use, I can't see how you could get by with having to switch the tiller every row or every two rows unless it is ridiculously easy. (Could you lift the Caroni, shift it to the opposite side, and drop it in the 5 or 6 seconds it would take you to make a turn?
Shaun, I may be able to get a 7' positioned behind the trailer fenders....depends on my weight distribution. If not I'd have to put something on the fenders to cushion the tiller sitting on it or back it on the trailer. Really wouldn't want to put that weight on the fenders though.

With the Caroni I may have to shift it to load it on the trailer. Tilling with it shifted right, I'd just have to return to the starting point on each row. Definitely wouldn't shift each row. If it's a small area it wouldn't be that big a deal....otherwise it might.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I wouldn't want one that didn't cut my tracks out. It makes you work twice as hard because nobody wants tracks left if their garden. Just my thoughts but it would really limit what you could do.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
BotaDriver, what part of North Ga do you live in? Just curious, unless they have change my TSC still has KK and County Line implements. I haven't looked in a few months though.
SW of Calhoun -- I've seen reports of TSCs from all over the country having tarter units, not just those around me. In the video I posted that's at the link to tarter mfg you will see in the background several hundred countly line implements (maybe even into the thousands).

Last edited:

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Took a 5 hr road trip yesterday. Had a job to estimate and then it was off to look at implements. Visited the local TSC in Monticello, FL then up to Valdosta, GA to see the Agri Supply store (ASC). Never been to an ASC store, it was a nice surprise..like a TSC on steroids!

ASC had Caroni and King Kutter (KK) tillers. Had a good inventory though not a 7 ft model. Caroni looked well built. They looked lighter than the KK, but comparing similar sizes there not a lot of difference. I liked the gear drive of the KK. Prices weren't on the implements so went inside to check them out and ask if what I wanted had rust/faded paint would they give a discount. Service lady said yes, 5-10% depending on condition. I asked about warranty and what would happen if I had a problem. She said just bring the part back and they would replace the part or if major would exchange units. Of course they don't repair them. They have a good supply of most of the Caroni parts. She said their finish mowers basically fly off the shelf. I can't find anyone that works on Caronis, but KK has dealers. Looking at them, taking parts off doesn't look like that big a deal ..a pain maybe. After that I cruised the store. They have nearly everything a farmer could possibly want. A surprise was that in the implements category they had some large ones; disc harrows in the 10-12 ft range and very large rotary mowers. Prices were: Caroni tiller 6 ft $1800 and the KK 6 ft was $2400, KK 7 ft was $2700. KK 7f ft from ruralking.com was $2500 including shipping. I am wondering what type of truck would deliver it. If it is an open trailer I can unload it with my M5140 and loader. If it is enclosed I may need the truck with a lift...extra $.

At TSC they had about 4 or 5 tillers. None of them I looked at had the County Line badge. Some of their other implements did, but not the tillers. If you looked closely you would find a small decal saying this unit is made by Tartar Manufacturing. These units looked very much like the KKs. The paint looked like powder coat. The Caroni and KK I looked at had standard paint. The price of the 6 ft Tartar was $2000, the 7 ft was $2300.

I measured my outside rear tire distance and came up with 74 inches. That would leave me 2 inches or so tire print on each side with a 6'. Would not bother me, but gardeners may not like that.

So for now I've got some info to mull over. Its several months before I would use it so in no hurry. May check some of the dealers in the area that carry KK.

Sorry to be so long winded, but thought it might have some usefulness.

Last edited:

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Attachments with slip clutches makes max HP ratings moot. ;)
I see your point, but don't necessarily agree. All things being equal I'll take the larger capacity gearbox.... within reason. That being said the gearbox and implement should be matched with the tractor. If I hooked up a 30 hp rated mower (with slip clutch) to my 52 hp tractor my guess is it would spin the clutch a lot, especially in some thick grass.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Finally pulled the trigger and picked up a Caroni 67" tiller. Ended up with a good deal. It was in the yard for a while (faded paint) so they dropped the price. Looks well made. Will report back once I get some time with it.

Attachments

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
Took a 5 hr road trip yesterday. Had a job to estimate and then it was off to look at implements. Visited the local TSC in Monticello, FL then up to Valdosta, GA to see the Agri Supply store (ASC). Never been to an ASC store, it was a nice surprise..like a TSC on steroids!

If you ever get the chance, check out their store in Garner NC. It is the original store and almost everything ordered from them is shipped from there. The place is huge compaired to their other stores. I feel like a kid in a toy store every time I go there. I'm an Agri Supply customer for life!
Another good place to check for implements is www.everthingattachments.com located in Newton NC. They even have options for free shipping.