cant remove hst fan pulley

jay87t

Equipment
B6000
Aug 4, 2013
Niagara Falls
Im in the process of rebuilding my HST on my TG1860. Im having a Issue removing the fan/pully from the HST. I removed the nut and cant seem to pull up the pulley, its as if something is blocking it. I do have a bit of play in the pully I can pull it up slightly but it stops as if something is preventing it from going up anymore. I tried a Puller but its just bending the pulley sides. Any Ideas?

Thanks for any Input.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There isn't anything holding on besides the nut, gently use 2 bars under the pulley up against the HST case to pop the pulley up. ;)

jay87t

Equipment
B6000
Aug 4, 2013
Niagara Falls
yeah tried that, just being suborn wont pop up at all, oddest thing, no matter I cracked open the hydro gear with it on. doesn't have to come off, found the motor cylinder block has a piston bore very worn out lots of slop in the piston, already had a new motor/pump on order, its really not that big of a job, not sure why the dealers make such a big deal about rebuilding hydros.

jay87t

Equipment
B6000
Aug 4, 2013
Niagara Falls
my Hydro is made by hydro gear. so I was able to just look up the parts from hydro gear and bought them on ebay. pump was 55 and so was the motor block. its amazing the markup kubota puts on the exact same part. colemans wants 130.00 for each.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got a TG1860 gas and one diesel. When I got the gas (it has a Kawasaki water cooled engine) two years ago many of the engine parts were not available from Kubota. They had like two camshafts in their total inventory and could not guarantee I could get one. I did not want the other small parts if I could not get the camshaft.

Turns out I can take the engine number and serial number and go to a Kawasaki dealer and get any part I need. And much less cost than Kubota quoted.

Kubota, John Deere and others all used the engines from Kawasaki and then entered the parts into their system and assigned their part numbers to each one. Making it seem like the only place you could get parts was from your specific dealer.

Sometimes you just have to out think them!!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah tried that, just being suborn wont pop up at all, oddest thing, no matter I cracked open the hydro gear with it on. doesn't have to come off, found the motor cylinder block has a piston bore very worn out lots of slop in the piston, already had a new motor/pump on order, its really not that big of a job, not sure why the dealers make such a big deal about rebuilding hydros.

You're right it's not that big of a job....but labor intensive. As old as the TG1860's are getting, and considering labor rate of $100/hr on average, they aren't real keen on doing them unless the owner is willing to pre-pay for some of it ahead of time. I certainly don't have any problem doing them. Just have to watch out for that spring & ball under the filter. It can fall out. And Hydrogear's stuff doesn't (or didn't the last time I looked) show where it goes. Hydrogear is notorious for this sort of thing. What I DO have a problem with is a tech (myself or otherwise) putting a few hours into one and then the owner never coming back to pick it up. Then we're stuck with a mower that isn't worth what they put into it in a lot of cases. That and personally I absolutely HATE the electric power steering. It "works" but they seem to wander all over the place making it nearly impossible to cut a straight line. I had one that was abandoned at one point, paid the boss for it (had 49 hours on it when I got it) and kept it for a total of 2 months before I sold it and bought an old G2160-48RS, which I hated as well (the EPS AND the rear discharge), sold that and bought a well-used G1900-S which I still have, 3 years later. 3 years is a long time for me....I usually mow a few times and then dump it for something I like better but this little G1900 is perfect for my yard.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've got a TG1860 gas and one diesel. When I got the gas (it has a Kawasaki water cooled engine) two years ago many of the engine parts were not available from Kubota. They had like two camshafts in their total inventory and could not guarantee I could get one. I did not want the other small parts if I could not get the camshaft.

Turns out I can take the engine number and serial number and go to a Kawasaki dealer and get any part I need. And much less cost than Kubota quoted.

Kubota, John Deere and others all used the engines from Kawasaki and then entered the parts into their system and assigned their part numbers to each one. Making it seem like the only place you could get parts was from your specific dealer.

Sometimes you just have to out think them!!
Kubota and Kawasaki had a falling out, so Kubota said we're done. But what's odd is that they still offer a Kawi engine on some of their mowers. But similar to Bad Boy, Exmark, Hustler, and a bunch of others, if you need an engine part...or an engine-related warranty, you have to go to a Kawasaki engine authorized dealer, and hope that the issue isn't related to the manufacturing process....because that can become a nightmare. BTDT on both the consumer end and on the dealer end.

Sometimes if you enter a kawasaki engine model number into their system, it'll have "SSO"....which is "self-servicing OEM"...meaning you might get lucky with a couple parts, but for the most part, SSO engines are serviced by the manufacturer of the mower. John Deere is notorious for this. Occasionally when you look up a certain part for an SSO engine, it'll be different than any other Kawasaki model. Especially crankshafts since everybody needs a different length and diameter PTO end.

The 1860 engine is notorious for breaking the camshaft gear teeth. So are a lot of the V-twin liquid cooled kawasaki's (early Mules, John Deere, etc). Usually due to overheated and poorly maintained crankcase lube oil.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The replacement camshafts were updated with a metal gear. The heating/cooling cycles helped harden the plastic, I'm sure.

Like the alum. plug the the old Kubota engines falling out after enough cycles.