Canopy / sun shade

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
With the heat of recent weeks I have been thinking about a canopy of sorts for my machine. I would use it primarily when I mow because that is when I cannot avoid the sun as much as I would like. However I do not put up the ROPS when mowing so I can get under trees. I would hope I am not the only one who does this. Obviously I do put up the ROPS whenever using the loader.
OK, back to the point. Does anyone know of a canopy than can attach to the ROPS when in the down / folded position? The top of the folded ROPS is near the level of my head so I would need a canopy that would attach to the ROPS yet extend a few inches to give me clearance in the seat.
Anyone have success with this idea or use such a canopy?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’m kind of in the same situation as you, my rops is always down except when I have the backhoe on. I would love a cover but i feel I would rip it off with the trees.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I built one for my L4240 just last week. I had been thinking about it for a while, and had been scrounging parts/ideas, but when the temp soared I decided it's time to get moving.

I wanted something light weight so I could easily remove it. My tractor won't fit into the area I keep it with the ROPS up. So on hot days I can simply insert the canopy and go to work, then easily remove it to store tractor. Maybe even adapt it to fit another tractor also.

I can take a couple of pictures tomorrow, but it's simple, and somewhat crude. Took about 3 hours to get completed.

With the ROPS down there are rubber (rectangle) plugs that fit in to open end of the folded down portion. I removed the plugs. I had some 2" dia. exhaust pipe. I formed the end in my vice and worked it until it would slide into that rectangular opening. Made one for the other side. They stick up about 6". I didn't really care how far up they would reach, I just cut the piece of pipe in two equal pieces and that was the result. And needed some head clearance when in the seat.

Then I had some 3/8" x 3/4" steel tubing. It was from one of those umbrellas folks put up around their pick-nick table. It had been destroyed by the wind, but the metal is strong and it was straight. That formed my frame. I then had some canvas which I cut and used tie straps to attach.

Then I went off and mowed the patch I posted in the thread my neighbor can use his zero turn...

Here are a few pictures I had on my phone. They show the material I used.

Attachments

philip53

Equipment
L3301 with 525 FEL
Jul 26, 2019
Jonesboro, Louisiana
Hey Missouri, I too have the same issues with a canopy for my L3301. I found two companies that make quick release/attach mounts for their canopies. The best appears to be the Westendorf Dura Poly canopy at 45" X 52" long. It is the priciest at $510 plus frt for my tractor, but has the best quick release method (watch video--it's pretty slick). The most economical is the RhinoHide at 37" X 45" long. It is the least expensive at $315 including frt, and has the most variations in mounting heights. It seems a little small in my opinion. The Rhino canopy is made of HPDE and the Westendorf is Dura Poly, which I can't really figure out what that is, but their video shows it to be very durable.

Please post back your findings if you put some sort of canopy on your tractor, as I will.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Bought a Femco Tuff Top for my OS M9. Wife and I assembled it in about 20 minutes and it's 2 knob quick release so it comes off easily. It's a nice canopy, I roaded the tractor last cut with it on and it saved my bald head from getting cooked and at 270 bucks, shipped, wasn't a bad price either and it matches my orange tractor perfectly.

Like a cab you do have to be cognizant of stuff overhead but my other tractor is a cab model so I'm used to that.

Very well made, all the hardware and brackets are powder coated and all the bolts have nylon insert nuts.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
+1 to what Flip said. I have the Femco as well. No issues along the tree line with branches. This product is very well built. You do have to have the ROPS up to use this product.