Cannot remove Injection Pump on D1803 engine (L3240 tractor)

Walter Alexander

Equipment
Kubota L3240 w/LA514 Loader
Dec 31, 2023
Ashville, Alabama
I am hoping to get some help... I am really stuck. The injection pump (high pressure pump) on my L3240 w/D1803 engine is not putting out any fuel. Fuel gets to the pump, but nothing comes out.

So I have disassembled down to the fuel injection pump, but cannot get it out. I have been working on this for weeks and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I have the WSM manual but there is no detail on this removal. I will insert several photos, but one in particular shows a bent "rod" that I removed from the pump area when I removed the threaded thing (sorry, don't know what it is called) that is about the size of a spark plug. I'm guessing that "rod" is not supposed to be bent like that.

I can rock the injection pump back and forth, but it will not come out. It's like something is holding it. I can see another horizontal "rod" (marked in photo with a yellow arrow) that might be what is keeping the pump from coming out, but I cannot figure out how to move or remove it. I would like to remove it so I can clean, test, repair or replace based on what I find or what a shop can perhaps do.

Hopefully my dilemma will make sense to some of you. Thanks so much. --Walter

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
To give you even more accurate answers I need the tractors serial number.

Just tearing into it isn't the best approach to fixing it!
Did you test the solenoid for operation?
Did you test for fuel being delivered to the injection pump?
If neither is right you won't get fuel output from the Injection pump.

If it was running and then suddenly when belly up, it's not the injection pump.

That part that's bent where exactly did it come out?
Because I can't find it on any print?

The idling apparatus, is damaged either on removal or trying to lift the Injection pump up.
You will need to fish out the broken end out of the engine.
You'll need to get a new one.
Should look like this.
1714075804782.png

The pin your pointing to is the rack pin, there is a slot in the block where the rack pin must go to remove the pump.

1714075475299.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Walter, welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will get the answers you need.

Just a comment to help you in the future and others who may look at this thread, always clean the area of the engine you are working on. It should be "clean enough to eat off of" if you're going to open an injection/fuel system.

Walter Alexander

Equipment
Dec 31, 2023
Ashville, Alabama
KUBOTA L3240HST-3 - Serial # 71821

Here's the whole story...

The tractor has about 430 hours on it. I bought it new it 2012.

About 6 months ago the tractor began getting harder and harder to start. It used to crank a few revolutions and then start right up. Then it took 5 seconds of cranking to start. Then 10... then 15.... then 30, etc. My Dad was using it one day and it died as if it was out of gas and it's never started since. Here's what I have done:

- Checked and made sure we had fuel in tank. We did.

- Opened the bleeder knob on the fuel injection pump. Little spurts of fuel blub-blub-blub came out as I cranked the engine. Not sure if volume was normal or not. Tractor crank and crank and crank but not start. Tried with knob (bleeder) both opened and closed - no change.

- Replaced fuel filter element. Tractor still would crank but not start.

- Dumped out all fuel and put in fresh Diesel from the gas station. Tractor still would crank but not start.

- Checked the fuel shut off solenoid. I get the loud "click" noise when I turn on the key. Solenoid seemed okay, but I replaced with a new one anyway. Tractor still would crank but not start.

- Disconnected fuel-out line from lift pump and cranked engine. Fuel spurted out blub-blub-blub. I was not sure if it should be a solid stream, so I replaced the fuel lift pump. Still the same blub-blub-blub Tractor still would crank but not start.

- Disconnected line going into the fuel injection (high pressure) pump. Fuel blub-blub-blub out of that line. Reconnected the line and bled again. Tractor still would crank but not start.

- Disconnected the three steel lines coming out of the top of the fuel injection pump. These are the lines that go to the fuel injectors. Cranked tractor with everything else connected, and no fuel ever comes out any of those three fuel outputs.

- At this point I was thinking the fuel injection pump is not working, so that's how I got to where we are now.

Thank you.

Walter Alexander

Equipment
Dec 31, 2023
Ashville, Alabama
Wolfman, I'm pretty sure I broke the idling apparatus then. That piece in my hand that is bent I believe came from the idling apparatus. I don't know what I can do to get this darn pump out so I can make sure I don't have any other pieces.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman, I'm pretty sure I broke the idling apparatus then. That piece in my hand that is bent I believe came from the idling apparatus. I don't know what I can do to get this darn pump out so I can make sure I don't have any other pieces.
You just need to line the rack pin up with the slot in the picture above, then it lifts straight up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That rack pin should freely slide.

This is a no turning back move, as the pump will have to be completely rebuilt after this:
If the rack will not move, you can remove the lock on the delivery valves (Torx head bolts and plates) and remove them from the pump.
This might free it up enough to move the rack pin.

Walter Alexander

Equipment
Dec 31, 2023
Ashville, Alabama
That rack pin should freely slide.

This is a no turning back move, as the pump will have to be completely rebuilt after this:
If the rack will not move, you can remove the lock on the delivery valves (Torx head bolts and plates) and remove them from the pump.
This might free it up enough to move the rack pin.
Finally got it. I took off the Torx screws and plates, then removed the three delivery valves. That did not help, as the pin would not move left or right. I wound up using a smaller diameter bolt held with some needle-nose Vice-Grips and a hammer to gently persuade the pin to move to the right far enough to get the pump to come out.

The bent piece of metal was indeed the end of the idling apparatus... I will be replacing that assembly.

Now I will move on to getting the injection pump rebuilt. Thanks so much for your help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Finally got it. I took off the Torx screws and plates, then removed the three delivery valves. That did not help, as the pin would not move left or right. I wound up using a smaller diameter bolt held with some needle-nose Vice-Grips and a hammer to gently persuade the pin to move to the right far enough to get the pump to come out.

The bent piece of metal was indeed the end of the idling apparatus... I will be replacing that assembly.

Now I will move on to getting the injection pump rebuilt. Thanks so much for your help.
That was going to be my next suggestion. ;)