Can somebody recommend an air powered impact wrench

243ackley

Oct 8, 2017
Birmingham Alabama
I need an air powered impact wrench for my small farm. It will primarily be used for replacing trailer/tractor/car tires and working on implements.

I don’t need the best just one that can handle occasional loose.

My tractor is a 7060 if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If you have an harbor freight near by, there earthquake model impact guns are pretty stout and reasonably priced. Just oil it before using for the day, and occasionally grease the anvil.

I have an older one for use around the house, that's 12 years old and still kicking. The first 3 years of it's life were constant use on my service truck :D Now it's regulated to changing mower blades and occasionally tightening up a bolt on an implement :D

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
if ya want a mid price but high torque gun for a mid size air compressor?

ive been picking up AIRCATS.... i use the 1150

they are way cheaper than my IR's or snapons... & are VERY strong.

http://aircat.com/

you can get them at HF, northern, tractor supply or buy them direct...

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
B7100, 48" snow blower, woods rear blade, crappy front blade, 64" mower deck
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
Excellent point ^^^, supply air id a MAJOR factor here. 1/4" hoses dont deliver a lot of CFM, but those 3/8" hoses sure do! even on a small tank, the ability to quickly dump it all into the gun is a huge advantage. 38" hoses can be had at Harbor F. for really cheap; the diablo series has worked well so far. the cheaper red one.... lasted about a year.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
I need an air powered impact wrench for my small farm. It will primarily be used for replacing trailer/tractor/car tires and working on implements.

Thanks for your help.
I have an Aircat 1057. Works awesome!

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
I have to go with the Harbor Freight Earthquake too. I bought one last summer after my old Craftsman bit the dust after many years service. I believe the earthquake is stronger than the craftsman ever was. Download a 20% off coupon off the internet before you go though. Makes them pretty good price wise.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

Thanks for your help.
Nothing against air powered, I have them all Snap-on/ Blue Point. But lately I've bee working in the bush so to speak and picked up an Ingersoll 20 Volt cordless. This thing rocks! it will snap 1/2" bolts that are frozen with ease on some of me old Pistenbully tracks, during the maintenance. the portability is awesome.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
243 - -

A couple guys mentioned it.... you should look at your compressor to make sure it can handle an impact.

If you have a pancake, it might not do it well.

I could run my plain-old IR impact with a Craftsman oil-less/15 gallon tank, but it didn't drive it long. Had to give it catch-up time, and be concerned with duty-cycle so it didn't overheat. Usually wasn't a problem unless something was stuck hard.

Both your compressor and any wrench you're looking at should have a spec.

As far as impacts, I think the compact 1/2" Earthquake is my next one. I like the size for getting at brake calipers/caliper brackets...might need one of their higher-torque ones for my old 'Moline later, but both wouldn't be a ton of $$ with HF coupons... a friend bought one last year and likes it.

P.S. - following Tughill Tom's thinking - he has a good point. Don't know specs of cordless impacts, but worth a thought.

I have a set of Milwaukee Fuel 18v brushless tools - after 3 years, love them! Betting they have an impact also. But the 1 tool would probably cost more than both the HF air impacts I have been considering.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Nothing against air powered, I have them all Snap-on/ Blue Point. But lately I've bee working in the bush so to speak and picked up an Ingersoll 20 Volt cordless. This thing rocks! it will snap 1/2" bolts that are frozen with ease on some of me old Pistenbully tracks, during the maintenance. the portability is awesome.
I've been slowly switching my tools over to cordless for convenience. Took advantage of a Mac Tools special and bought one of there 1/2" cordless impacts that is made by Dewalt. Was so impressed with it, a couple weeks ago I took advantage of another sale and bought the 3/8 drive impact, and 1/4 impact driver with quick connect chuck.

Now the only time I pull my pneumatic impact out of my tool box is when I need some extra grunt that the cordless can't handle. :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here is some real world experience between cordless and pneumatic impacts. The pneumatic impact will have more grunt then a cordless with the same specs.

My heavy duty snap on impact is rated for 800 tightening torque, 1100 ft/lbs breaking force.

My Mac cordless was advertised as having 1400 ft/lbs breaking force, 1100 ft/lbs tightening.

I called BS as soon as I saw the specs on the Mac truck. And pointed out there specs were way off. I then talked the tool man on the truck, as well as his boss who was riding with him into a quick demo in the shop. :p It was the tool man's first week on his route, second day on the job :D

I took a loose 3/4" bolt on a flange and tightened the nut with my Snap on impact. Then loosened it with the cordless impact. The cordless struggled for a couple seconds before the nut finally broke loose.

The tightened the nut with the cordless hammering it as tight as it would go, and broke it loose with the pneumatic impact. The pneumatic impact never even sputtered before backing the nut off :cool:

I still bought the cordless impact though. I was impressed with it :D Just pointed out to the tool man that the battery operated ones won't out do a good quality pneumatic impact :D

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
OP asked about air.... so i stuck with that.

but like you guys i use 20v LI-ion dewalt impacts. they are strong enough to twist the 1/4" to 3/8" adapters in to. :)

& they do have a nice 1/2" drive 20v impact.

but i still use my air tools for heavy work & continuous work like rotating tires, tearing down engines & that kind of stuff.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
I would hesitate against rating air tools at "what cfm your compressor puts out." The 1/2 EQ gun is rated at 90PSI/6CFM; 1000lb/ft. My AC will put out 15CFM @ 175PSI, however I wouldn't run a lot of air tools at that.

Similar to taking that old 12V electric drill and running 24volts through it. Yep it'll spin faster...but not for long.