Bx2816 snowblower

Wales919

Equipment
BX2816
Dec 16, 2023
Wales,ma
What kind of chain lubricant is everyone using? Also, I haven’t adjusted my chain because it seems to be alright. It’s not loose, wondering if it’s to tight.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Chain and bar oil is what I have used for years successfully. To access the chain for checking the adjustment, there is an 8" or 10" through bolt that goes from right to left (or left to right) on the cover. You take that bolt loose, and the cover will lift up. It is somewhat of a pain to get it back through into the other side, but it is doable if you have patience. To adjust the chain there are two bolts and nuts that need to be loosened on the bottom side of the metal fixture that slide up and down. I would leave them just slightly loose, and then tap the steel plate with a hammer till I had the desired setting of not too loose or too tight. If you hit a large object that breaks the shear bolt and brings the snowblower to a sudden stop, there is a good chance of damaging the chain to the point that it will be bent and become trash. This is why you should check the driveway before the snow for any errant rocks, pieces of wood, or newspapers that are going to ruin your day. I speak from experience and any of those items can cause expensive damage that will take a lot of time and effort to repair. Also, make sure that if you break a shear pin you have your augers properly "clocked" as the decal on the inside of the snowblower on the right side shows.

Reactions: 1 user

Wales919

Equipment
BX2816
Dec 16, 2023
Wales,ma
Chain and bar oil is what I have used for years successfully. To access the chain for checking the adjustment, there is an 8" or 10" through bolt that goes from right to left (or left to right) on the cover. You take that bolt loose, and the cover will lift up. It is somewhat of a pain to get it back through into the other side, but it is doable if you have patience. To adjust the chain there are two bolts and nuts that need to be loosened on the bottom side of the metal fixture that slide up and down. I would leave them just slightly loose, and then tap the steel plate with a hammer till I had the desired setting of not too loose or too tight. If you hit a large object that breaks the shear bolt and brings the snowblower to a sudden stop, there is a good chance of damaging the chain to the point that it will be bent and become trash. This is why you should check the driveway before the snow for any errant rocks, pieces of wood, or newspapers that are going to ruin your day. I speak from experience and any of those items can cause expensive damage that will take a lot of time and effort to repair. Also, make sure that if you break a shear pin you have your augers properly "clocked" as the decal on the inside of the snowblower on the right side shows.
The chain seems tight and there is no play in it what so ever, so I should loosen it then so there is a little play?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've used the green lidded Rustcheck for a few years. It's the thicker version seems to stay on better.
My BERCO blower is 20 years old, never replaced the chain yet. Course NOW that I've said that.........

Reactions: 1 user