BX2755HD gear oil fill plug is seized. 11mm bolt, rusted solid. Used blower I dont think the gear oil was ever serviced

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I know the vet cap on neighbour's blower (2816 ?) is REAL FRIGGIN TIGHT, probably due to unecessary Locktite. As others have said LOTS of heat to loosen the Locktite, then it'll come out.
if not, weld a nut onto it, let cool, then try again.
If it still doesn't come out, you're in for a real treat, TOTAL teardown as you'll have to DRILL it out.

Rob18530

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 13, 2023
Cornwall Ontario
Got it free - three days of penetrating oil and impact driver and these "stripped bolt remover" sockets. It's out... now $37.00 for a new vent fill bolt... OUCH

Now into repairing the plastic cracked front support bracket.... I'll post some photos of this peice of crap.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Got it free - three days of penetrating oil and impact driver and these "stripped bolt remover" sockets. It's out... now $37.00 for a new vent fill bolt... OUCH

Now into repairing the plastic cracked front support bracket.... I'll post some photos of this peice of crap.
Glad you were able to get it out. That sucker was pretty chewed up!!!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

I recommend teflon tape on the new one.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I recommend teflon tape on the new one.
Why?

Instead of recommending teflon tape, I would recommend not trying to remove the vent, and use it as a fill port. 😁

Just sayin...;)

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Why?

Instead of recommending teflon tape, I would recommend not trying to remove the vent, and use it as a fill port. 😁

Just sayin...;)
Glad you got it out!

If you overfill, there’s a risk of damage due to expansion and the gearbox does collect a little bit of water to add to the volume.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
too late to buy this instead ??

$4 USD.

"1/8" NPT breather vent"

Google that ,see what you can find, sad thing is a have a minibin full of them from past projects.....

BTW real happy you got it out ! Maybe 'flush' the box 'just in case'

No need for Locktite.. maybe teflon tape but NPT ftg don't need either.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
At this point, the hex of the vent is damaged. The hex is installed at the factory with Loctite and you must put heat on it to break the bond. I have a very expensive Snap-On stud remover ($350.00) that grabs onto studs and removes them without putting any side tension on the stud. Since you don't have access to that type of tool, I would use a Vice Grip Brand vice grip. There is a quality difference between the "made in China" tools and those made in the US and Canada. Don't worry about crushing it, just about getting it out. Use a plumber's acetylene torch for the heat. YOu will need to get it quite hot, but not hot enough to melt the aluminum gearbox case. The worst case is you will need to disassemble the front of the snowblower and take the gearbox to a machine shop to remove the vent if you don't feel comfortable attempting it yourself. Ruining the gearbox is something you don't want to do since a replacement is about $600 US. I have turned wrenches for over 70 years, and there are times I just rather pay someone else to do the work than mess it up myself. This might just be one of those times if I didn't have the correct tools to accomplish the task.

Rob18530

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 13, 2023
Cornwall Ontario
too late to buy this instead ??

$4 USD.

"1/8" NPT breather vent"

Google that ,see what you can find, sad thing is a have a minibin full of them from past projects.....

BTW real happy you got it out ! Maybe 'flush' the box 'just in case'

No need for Locktite.. maybe teflon tape but NPT ftg don't need either.
I'll be ordering some of these. Thanks for the tip

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The snowblower is made by a company in Canada that makes them for all the tractor manufacturers. You can shop around, however, if the vent is still good, I would just put some pipe dope on the threads and put it back. You can check it by pulling up on the small tip and seeing if it still pulls out against the spring. If it does, no need to replace it. Why spend money on something that still works?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
argh not only locktite but aluminum case/ steel fitting ! Any moisture will cause RUST to form, binding up the threads real good( Nature's Locktite ).
Sounds like everyone who has these blowers needs to remove all 3 plugs every season.
In RCW's post #11, it looks like the vent has been painted over ?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They are all painted over at the assembly plant. They used to just about dip the entire blower in paint, however, now they are using powder coat on almost all surfaces of the blower. The problem with powder coat is that once you have a chip in it, and the moisture gets under it, it will rust under the powder coating until it loses its bond and flakes off completely.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
They are all painted over at the assembly plant. They used to just about dip the entire blower in paint, however, now they are using powder coat on almost all surfaces of the blower. The problem with powder coat is that once you have a chip in it, and the moisture gets under it, it will rust under the powder coating until it loses its bond and flakes off completely.
Yeah, that’s the issue with the hydraulic cylinder on my front hitch. Peeling like a Paper Birch.

It will be a repair for another day, preferably in July…..😉