BX2680 mower deck vs. rear finish mower

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
I picked up a used BX2680 last year. 2019 model and was used by an older couple for their small property with some horses. It came with both a 60" mower deck and a Del Morino 60"/5' rear finish mower. I didn't get a chance to ask when they used each mower.

At this point, I don't need either, though I'm going to keep one of them. I have a Deere GT that I use for mowing. Also, I just purchased an IronCraft flail mower for the BX. The flail mower with the BX and the Deere GT will handle all of my mowing needs for now.

So the question is what to keep, the BX mower deck or the rear mount finish mower. I'm leaning towards the mower deck. I have tried out the finish mower and I think for maneuverability, the mower deck would be my preference if I started using it. The finish mower is big, it's 3 blade, but still 5' beyond the 3 pt lower links. Wide open spaces I guess no problem with that. Other issue is storage, I like to keep everything (tractor + implements) stored indoors and the rear finish mower will take up a fair amount of my limited space. I don't used the BX in the winter, so I could store the mower deck mounted or I could stand upright on edge and secure against the wall.

The only advantage I see with the rear finish mower is the 3 pt mount which is easier than installing/removing a mower deck. This would definitely be a consideration if I planned to use the BX for finish mowing routinely.

Any feedback on my thought process, am I missing something, especially from anyone who would keep the rear finish mower over the Kubota mower deck?
Thanks in advance for any comments.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
If you don't have a lot of obstacles to mow around, the RFM would be my preference. I've had a RFM, but I have too many trees and other stuff to mow around so the MMM is what I use on my 2380. FWIW, the only time I take the MMM off is for maintenance on the deck. (Changing blades can be done with the mower still on the tractor.) Some folks complain about the MMM and doing dirt work or working in the woods, but I do very little digging with the FEL and no woods work with it. If you're happy with the GT for mowing, sell the MMM and the RFM. Personally, I'd hang onto the MMM. No need to take the MMM off for winter storage IMO.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I picked up a used BX2680 last year. 2019 model and was used by an older couple for their small property with some horses. It came with both a 60" mower deck and a Del Morino 60"/5' rear finish mower. I didn't get a chance to ask when they used each mower.

At this point, I don't need either, though I'm going to keep one of them. I have a Deere GT that I use for mowing. Also, I just purchased an IronCraft flail mower for the BX. The flail mower with the BX and the Deere GT will handle all of my mowing needs for now.

So the question is what to keep, the BX mower deck or the rear mount finish mower. I'm leaning towards the mower deck. I have tried out the finish mower and I think for maneuverability, the mower deck would be my preference if I started using it. The finish mower is big, it's 3 blade, but still 5' beyond the 3 pt lower links. Wide open spaces I guess no problem with that. Other issue is storage, I like to keep everything (tractor + implements) stored indoors and the rear finish mower will take up a fair amount of my limited space. I don't used the BX in the winter, so I could store the mower deck mounted or I could stand upright on edge and secure against the wall.

The only advantage I see with the rear finish mower is the 3 pt mount which is easier than installing/removing a mower deck. This would definitely be a consideration if I planned to use the BX for finish mowing routinely.

Any feedback on my thought process, am I missing something, especially from anyone who would keep the rear finish mower over the Kubota mower deck?
Thanks in advance for any comments.
IMO a mid mount beats the heck out of a 3pt mower of the same size.. The one exception to that is tight spots and banks where you can back the 3pt mower into areas that you cannot drive over.

Dan

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too am in the camp of MMM - easier to see WHAT you are cutting, typically a better cut too.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
If you have obstacles or banks, the MMM is better suited.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard! You have a great opportunity to try both and know firsthand that you picked the best one for you.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
For me I guess it would sort of depend on why wanting to keep one? Backup for your normal mower? Or have land you want to clear out / open up? Or thoughts of more property down the road? I don’t think there is a wrong answer…just depends on what plan to do with the machine / implements. You could always put a price on all of them and let luck thin them out for you.

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
Thanks for the comments, MMM is probably my better choice to keep. Now, let's see what I can get for the Del Morino rear finish mower.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
The MMM are more expensive when purchased new. Selling the brand specific MMM might be more difficult and may not net a decent enough price. If you resell the tractor having the MMM would potentially make it more attractive also. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
Thanks, good point on the MMM and resale, I hadn't thought much of about that. I know from experience with my Deere GTs that finding good condition used equipment/attachments is tough, especially mower decks. Having a MMM for the BX probably would help quite a bit on resale and open it up to potential buyers that want to mow with it.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I'll just tell you my story.
I have 5 acres, I mow about 2-3 of that in the rocky, bumpy Ozarks.
I had a Cub Cadet tractor which gave me a backache every time I mowed.
I then bought a B2320 with a RFM and it was great.
Faster and no grass or dust blowing back in my face.
I would trim with the Cub, the use the Kubota to finish my job.
But I ran into one hiccup. Here in the Ozarks, the ledge rock is predominate and much of my yard is a fairly thin layer of soil. When there is any moisture in the ground, the Kubota will just tear up the yard.
Those times left me cutting once again with the Cub and suffering the backache.
Moving ahead, I wound up buying a zero turn and the seat and the style of the machine made my backaches a thing of the past when mowing. And the inherent design throws the clipping 6-8 feet away from the mower......well clear of my face unless extreme windy conditions.

So here's my opinion. RFM would have been my choice if my yard and conditions allowed it to be.
Sorry for the long winded answer...hope it helps.

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
Thanks for the perspective Missouri, I almost bought a B2320 instead of my BX - just couldn't come to agreement on a price. I think the B2320 had the same 1L engine that my BX2680 has.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
When I bought my property, I also bought a JD 3005 with a 5 ft bush hog to clear it. After it was cleared, and I was mowing grass I bought a rear mount finish mower for it.

After a few months of trying to mow around trees and other yard obstacles, I gave up, and traded it in for a zero turn mower.
I soon discovered that although the zero turn was faster at mowing, it was very job specific and wouldn't do the things I needed doing like moving trailers around the property and other things that property owners do with a tractor.

So, I traded the zero turn mower in for a tractor that has a MMM. Life is good again.

The point is, if my 1st tractor had a MMM on it, I would have never sold it.

Keep the MMM.