BX2670 tire psi?

buckeyepost

Equipment
BX2670
Apr 14, 2016
Granville
This is my first post on this forum. Just upgraded from a B8200 to a BX2670 and I had a question about tire psi since the tires are a LOT smaller than my B8200. I ran about 8psi front and 5psi in the rear on my B8200 but I think that might be way to loo on the BX especially when using the front loader. It has turf tires and I mow 5 kinda bumpy acres so like the extra cushion the low psi provides, I'll do a little work with the loader here and there. Anyone have advice on this? Thanks!

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Pretty sure the manual calls for 17 (F) and 14 (R) psi with the turf tires. I have been running 19 psi up front as a compromise for mowing AND loader work. As we go back and forth weekly, I could not see fiddling with the pressure so often.

buckeyepost

Equipment
BX2670
Apr 14, 2016
Granville
I think I have about 12 F and 8 R right now and it felt a little tippy when moving some dirt last night so I'll bump it up to see if it feels safer. And then I had a dream that I rolled it into a pond!! It's going to take some getting use to the shorter stance than by B8200, that's for sure. I can already tell I'm going to miss it.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Not the kind of thing a guy wants to experience, even in a dream! We have always had loader tractors from 60-175hp. When we recently got our BX, I was amazed at the instability we encountered with a bucket of gravel up front. Nothing at all against the BX series, simply had zero experience with such a small, narrow loader tractor. Adequate tire pressure, appropriate ballast and prudence on the part of the operator are required for safe operation. Truly an awesome machine for in and around the yard. Really, nearly perfect for what it is designed to do.

On Edit: Although rear tire pressure may seem less important for loader work, keep this in mind: It is the only thing that provides any lateral stability with the exception of wheel spacers. The front end has a limited effect laterally since it is designed to pivot.

Be safe, have fun!

Last edited:

buckeyepost

Equipment
BX2670
Apr 14, 2016
Granville
Thanks for the input. I've actually just started searching for wheel spacers earlier this morning. Curious to see how it works as a mower tomorrow when I drop the FEL.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
buckeye,,, the mowing is a lot better if you replace the factory blades with the gator brand blades. Have one myself and love it.

buckeyepost

Equipment
BX2670
Apr 14, 2016
Granville
Thanks, I'll look into the gator blades.

Higher tire psi made all the difference in the world when using the loader yesterday. I think the main cause of the instability I was feeling was because of the low tire pressure. I can tell I'm really going to love this little tractor. Put a good 17 hrs on it this weekend.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Thanks, I'll look into the gator blades.

Higher tire psi made all the difference in the world when using the loader yesterday. I think the main cause of the instability I was feeling was because of the low tire pressure. I can tell I'm really going to love this little tractor. Put a good 17 hrs on it this weekend.
Good to hear. Give some thought to ballasting if you have not already done so.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
The best rule of thumb to follow is what the mfg lists for the tractor to run
them at including loader work. The most common tire failure occurs on the
loader tractors when the tires are over inflated which stops their ability to
flex resulting in the tire breaking instead of flexing. I've watched tires fold
over sideways and not break loose from the rim or damage the tire when it
at the correct air pressure. I've seen over inflated tires split wide open when
they hit a bump/stump/rock when over inflated.

Think of a tire as a balloon, the higher it's inflated the thinner it gets. If the
balloon is blown up as large as it can get one touch with a pin it explodes.
Doesn't happen as easily if it's not over inflated.
Al

PS: I've lived that tipping over real time and the "pucker factor" once you've
actually went over is far worse than the nightmare while sleeping. Loaded rear tires and box blade or some counter weight always now. I'm still thinking
I'll add wheel spacers too with my sloped yard in a couple placed that make
my butt pucker every time I mow thru them. Not good!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have found that loading the front as well as the rear tires, and adding 230 pounds of rear ballast provides the best stability when using the loader. I am frequently moving loads of rocks that weigh in the 500+ pound range. Before I loaded the front tires, I had one come off the bead while turning with a loaded bucket. I ended up having to replace the tire because the sidewall became damaged from the rim. Now I run the front and rear tires loaded with 75% water and recommended air pressure and have no problems with tires since.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Loading the front tires may help with traction and steering on snow or with a heavy 3 point load. However, loaded front tires and front wheel spacers when using the loader will have little to no effect on stability due to the front axle pivot. When a front wheel comes off the ground you are already in deep doo doo...

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I found it quite strange that no one asked what tire style the op was running!

If I can assume looking at the avatar picture is correct, If my eyes are not deceiving me I see turf tires which have 4 ply rating and are lesser than the R4's This can solve some of the squishy feel when under load.

As stated air pressure is the key along with ballasting. As far as loading the tires on the BX series, our dealership recommends ballast box due to loading the tires only adds 160 lbs. to center line of the rear axle. While adding the same weight to the box further back has a better effect due to being further away from the fulcrum point. Plus the added bonus of dismounting the box to tread lightly when conditions dictate.

Pat

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Probably no one asked, "I found it quite strange that no one asked what tire style the op was running!" because he states turf tires in the original post.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Probably no one asked, "I found it quite strange that no one asked what tire style the op was running!" because he states turf tires in the original post.
I gotta stop reading these post at 3 AM in the morning. Not my time of day.