BX25d1 and auger

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Can the BX25D handle an auger with a 6 inch bit? The dealer was very hesitant to sell one. I have seen the PD10 fits and I know a 12 inch bit would be a lot to ask, but I am getting older and would like to be able to dig 18-24 inch post holes for small fencing. A 6 inch bit would be enough for me.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Thank you. I have seen many of these videos. As I read other forums I am getting 50-50 on the reviews. Some say the BX25 can handle a 12 inch auger others limit it to 6/9 inchers. I am in SW Missouri with rocky soil 12-18 inches deep. Sometimes it is only 1-4 inch rock but other areas I have pulled out footballs. I use a rock bar when my neighbor is digging holes with his 60HP tractor. I am sure I will dismount often and do the same with the BX.

I am more curious as to whether the tractor wears well digging these holes or is it going to be like shaking a baby, eventually causing great harm. I have the time to go slower and will take my time but digging 20-30 holes by hand would take me weeks. I am hoping to do this in a day instead. Then we have several old oil pipe corners we want to move to better locations and redrill those holes too. So to start this year I have maybe 50 holes. In comparison I also have over 1/2 mile of trenching to do and 1.5 acres of tree shrub clearing. I would hate to lose the tractor drilling holes and not be able to get the rest done.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I regularly run s 9" auger on my BX. We live in N Idaho, and there are areas of softball to pumpkin sized rocks, the self cleaning auger is a wonderful thing! This fall I put up s 300' fenceline, and Dug about 50 holes for 4x6's in about an hour. Totally awesome piece of equipment. The only bad thing was placing all the poles just about killed me, but if I were digging the post holes by hand, I would still be out there digging!

With the 9" auger you can set up to 6x6" posts or 8" round poles

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Another update. After digging several dozen holes everywhere here on my little farm the BX25 can and will dig with a 12" auger. Some areas with heavy rock I used the 9 inch first but for the most part it was a 12 inch all the way.

We now use the 9 inch for planting trees and back fill with heavy packed peat moss. THis is helping the roots cut thru the hard pan. Bushes a 6 inch auger and we can plug in 30-50 a day. Soon this little farm will be a gardeners paradise. We keep finding ways to use the tractor but the most used implement other than the backhoe is the auger. Bought used for $150, wore out the teeth on three augers, bent one auger on a rock and have 6 sets of teeth in the tool box. Rocks in Missouri grow like the grass does.

Cody27

Equipment
Kubota bx23s
May 2, 2019
Beaverton, Ontario, Canada
Good day. Anybody running the pd10 on a bx23s or bx25d getting holes down 48"? I bought a brand new pd10 setup with my new bx23s, with 9" bit. Unfortunately (I'm guessing due to the lift on the 3ph) it only came with a 30" auger. I'm thinking about making an 18" extension, worst case ayger down 30, add extension. Make a jig to hold the bit and remove extension when removing from hole. Anybody having this issue?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good day. Anybody running the pd10 on a bx23s or bx25d getting holes down 48"? I bought a brand new pd10 setup with my new bx23s, with 9" bit. Unfortunately (I'm guessing due to the lift on the 3ph) it only came with a 30" auger. I'm thinking about making an 18" extension, worst case ayger down 30, add extension. Make a jig to hold the bit and remove extension when removing from hole. Anybody having this issue?
I think you will find out rather quickly that trying to add and remove an extension while the bit is in the hole, will make your 48" hole turn back into a soft bottomed 30" hole in nothing flat. ;)

Cody27

Equipment
Kubota bx23s
May 2, 2019
I think you will find out rather quickly that trying to add and remove an extension while the bit is in the hole, will make your 48" hole turn back into a soft bottomed 30" hole in nothing flat. ;)
Why do you say that? You dont think I will be able to clean it off enough partially in the hole? Here in Ontario our footings go 48" to get below the frost level... what is the best way for me to auger 48" deep holes from my bx?

There is a local guy that runs a similar pha on his Deere 1025r with 48" auger... must be a way i can modify the 3ph arms or auger arm to get the extra lift?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why do you say that? You dont think I will be able to clean it off enough partially in the hole? Here in Ontario our footings go 48" to get below the frost level... what is the best way for me to auger 48" deep holes from my bx?

There is a local guy that runs a similar pha on his Deere 1025r with 48" auger... must be a way i can modify the 3ph arms or auger arm to get the extra lift?
I say that because it's a rather cumbersome job to add a extension, (Land pride doesn't even recommend or make an extension for the PD10) and then have to remove it to get that bit back out of the hole.

You don't need to or want to alter anything, If you wanted to dig 48" you should have gotten a a PD15.

I betting you're only doing a few holes for foundations with it right?
You would be far better off renting a Skid Steer with the right size bit to do the job. ;)

Cody27

Equipment
Kubota bx23s
May 2, 2019
I say that because it's a rather cumbersome job to add a extension, (Land pride doesn't even recommend or make an extension for the PD10) and then have to remove it to get that bit back out of the hole.

You don't need to or want to alter anything, If you wanted to dig 48" you should have gotten a a PD15.

I betting you're only doing a few holes for foundations with it right?
You would be far better off renting a Skid Steer with the right size bit to do the job. ;)
Will be using it for deck footing, and fence posts. Code here requires minimum 48". Homestly, when I ordered the tractor I didnt research the auger.. I told the dealer I wanted a post hole auger and he said no problem $1700 plus tax. I assumed (stupid me) it would be 48" as every auger I've owned, used or rented has had 48" bits. 30" hole is useless here as there is still frost. Had I done some proper research, I would have figured this all out before hand... ah well. When the time comes I will figure out a way, always do lol.