BX25D Starter problems...

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Neighbor texted me and said my 2015 BX25D wouldn't start (1348 hrs)...even with my emergency bypass switch directly engaging the starter.

Went next door. Checked battery voltage. 12.8. Fuel relay clicks...glow plug...fuel pump...can hear all of them.

Popped off the front cowl. Didn't have a hammer so I used the butt end of a mattock to smack the starter twice.

Turned the key and she lit right up. Tried three or four more starts and zero issues.

Wondering if I need to add a starter to my list of stocked parts...I have a good collection of pins, nuts, bolts, filters, tie rods, rims and tires going.

-Mac

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Are you sure in that mix ....you didnt hit or move the PTO lever?

I had an old FORD that needed the hammer too!

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Not saying your starter can't be at fault, but I expect the HST neutral switch not being quite centered would more likely be the problem, a slight vibration from the whack and someone getting in and out of the tractor can be enough to allow it to connect. If it doesn't start again, check the PTO and HST switches first.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
When you get to a point when you can get it off-line you might check the brushes and moving parts. If that's more than you want to do, it might be time to research a good shop for starters and the like.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Maclean - - you’ve certainly done a lot of work and repairs in your days with that tractor.
I’m just thinking more along the line of safety switch also.

Not to say it can’t be starter, but those switches can be finicky.

You know that BX machine better than most guys....I’d go with your gut.

Crappy advice, but I know it’s not your first rodeo!!![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
One other thing to check for, when it doesn't start, when you turn the key to start, if the safety switches are all in the correct mode (meaning closed) power will flow through to the starter solenoid terminal. If the starter is OK, it will obviously crank (if battery is good and terminals/connections/grounds are good). If it doesn't crank, you should hear the hold in coil of the starter solenoid click, if you don't hear this click, I doubt you have power to the starter. If you hear this click, then the pull-in coil of the starter is not functioning, and the pull-in coil is grounded through the armature brushes to ground. So if you have worn or sticky brushes and you hear the click, then tap the starter at it starts, you have brush problems. If you don't hear the click, you likely aren't getting power to the starter, and the start safeties are most likely the culprit.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
It's not the safety switches...not only have I removed all of them and the opm...but I have a bypass switch under the hood wired straight to the starter. When that didn't work I knew it was the starter.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I do know on the BX the PTO lever switch when out of adjustment WILL NOT LET YOU START,, 2 hours under the beast to figure that one out,, the switch will not make up if it is loose :rolleyes:and will not start,, might be a good place to look