BX25D Settling Issues?

nightdevil

Dec 21, 2013
Maryland, US
Hi All... again
I'm looking at the minor differences between the 1025r and BX25D... of course like everyone else that has done a comparison in the past.

Anyway. I've been reading that the FEL or BH can settle overnight and not maintain their original positions. This includes the stabilizers. Granted that the BH could/should be pinned and the FEL is on the ground. However I was thinking of the safety issue this could pose... I haven't seen much discussion on this on the OTT forum unless it was due to faulty seals. However, I thought I'd ask to see if I've over looked this or if this a common issue for the BX25D.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Every hydraulic cylinder has the potential to leak down.
The only way to guarantee that a cylinder will stay up is to mechanically lock it (a pin, a drop-down arm, whatever).

It can be a safety issue - so don't leave the buckets, booms, forks, stabilizers, etc., in the raised position.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi All... again
I'm looking at the minor differences between the 1025r and BX25D... of course like everyone else that has done a comparison in the past.

Anyway. I've been reading that the FEL or BH can settle overnight and not maintain their original positions. This includes the stabilizers. Granted that the BH could/should be pinned and the FEL is on the ground. However I was thinking of the safety issue this could pose... I haven't seen much discussion on this on the OTT forum unless it was due to faulty seals. However, I thought I'd ask to see if I've over looked this or if this a common issue for the BX25D.
Dont care what brand you mention - all of them share a small common flaw - and that is gravity !!!! ALL hydraulic (pneumatic too) will leak down over time!
AS the machine gets older - the leak will increase, seal, O - rings and what not wear to the point where a little oil slides by and thus gravity takes over!

My machines stabilizers (two years old 150 hours) will leak down about 1/2" a night, one time it was reallll cold and the dang on things were on the floor!
My hoe bucket always tries to droop too.

First thing on my check list is to raise bucket off floor - reset stabilizers and curl the hoe bucket.

Never leave you FEL bucket up in the air, cause it too will leak down........;):)

nightdevil

Dec 21, 2013
Maryland, US
Thanks I agree 1/2in over night or even a few is acceptable. But on a new machine I would think inches in 15 minutes not acceptable. I will have to go to validate again on some more searches...

Oh one more question. If the tractor is running this is not a problem correct? My image is that this may happen to a stabilizer while using the bh

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I drive by the other orange tractor dealer and they have dropping bh and such.
That is the reason you put a jack stand under your car when using a lift vus they drift!

Ray

pacer

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 3, 2015
Greenwood La USA
I think its just a fact of life ----

FWIW, on my BX25 with 180hrs the BH boom will creep down over 2 days, but nothing else droops - course longest I've left it sit is about 3 days, with longer sit periods I would imagine I would see other leakage.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks I agree 1/2in over night or even a few is acceptable. But on a new machine I would think inches in 15 minutes not acceptable. I will have to go to validate again on some more searches...

Oh one more question. If the tractor is running this is not a problem correct? My image is that this may happen to a stabilizer while using the bh

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Inches in 15 minutes in my opinion is bad........ will this happen after the tractor is just cut off after being warm? I would think seals and or O rings are bad already....mmm......

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
When brand spanking new, my stabilzers stayed put and I as a matter of safety, I always put the FEL down and the BH bucket on the ground.

After I had 50 or so run time hours, I noticed the stabilizers having moved a couple of inches in a few days of non-use when left in the upright position. Broken in and loosened up.

When I first got my BX, I could not get the 3pt arms to drop of the mower arms to drop. I had to run the engine, move the lever AND apply pressure to the 3pt arms to make them move and then pry the mower lift arms. After cycling them all a few times, they too, loosened up and will drop with the engine off and the lever pushed down (bleeding off pressure)

I took the BH off in late October and placed a tie down strap on the stabilizers to keep them up and then tarped the unit. I had the bucket down. Once down, and with the engine off, I moved all the levers to let any further settling occur and remove any residual pressure. Come end of December, I noticed the BH bucket had moved, I guess it was not completely 'relaxed'. Hopefully, the movement will not cause any hydraulic line re-connection issues come spring. If there is any, I know how to bleed off the pressure. Then next year, I'll be more thoughtful about the BH bucket position and put a strap on it too.

Learning all the time.:)

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have a BX25D with about 85 hours, I only have noticed the left stabilizer and the BH bucket settling down. I would estimate the stabilizer dropping no more than 2" over the course of a week, and the bucket about 3". I picked up the TLB in September and the BH has been off since December, a light strap and the stabilizer stays put. I did get a BXpanded dolly which is worth the $$ for easier on/off & the bucket is fixed.

I rented the BX from Home Depot prior to purchase, the same day the JD sales brought a 1025 over. Having a couple hours on both made the decision easy, that and a contractor friend was there to also try them out. We both chose the Kubota, the hydraulic controls are much smoother & you have 2 functions active on the loader. The regenerative loader controls allow a big machine feel and efficiency.

Can't go wrong either way, but Kubota was my choice & happy with it.

Good luck in your purchase.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I would be skeptical of internet reports. I would guess that the problem isn't as bad as people say.
Look at a tractor dealership- you don't see all of the backhoe and stabilizers on the ground. At least when new, they hold fine. I know that my local dealership does not fire every tractor up and raise the stabilizers and backhoe each day.

naturalgas

Equipment
BX 25
Feb 15, 2016
metrowest, Ma.
My bx25 always leaks down after a few days idle. It's a 2009 that I bought used 3 yrs ago with 200 hrs on it. It now has a little over 300. I store it in my two car garage and I have a 11 ft ceiling so I drive in ,raise bucket up for more room ,and I place a 2x4 under bucket and it holds it up till I use it again. I keep bungees around stabilizers most of the time cause the BH is seldom used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I have a BX24. I use a rubber bungee on my stabilizers. With any implement/attachment you should always lower them to the ground or pin them as a safety practice. Kids or yourself may bump controls and have an unexpected drop and could harm a bystander or damage something. As far as leak down anything with a hydraulic cylinder will leak down over time this goes for any brand any model.

Me personally one of the deciding factors for buying a Kubota was when I worked in a lead/silver mine. We had a UTV that we ABUSED the heck out of and it always asked for more. We also had a mine car mounted mini excavator that never seamed to fail us. Last but surly not least we had a a small tractor (not sure of the model) that was basically abandoned for 2+ years...We jumped it and it fired up with NO leaks and i'm going to assume full power. Oh and the $4,000 in difference for the package that that green paint cost helped a lot with the Finance Officer as well :D

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
so I drive in ,raise bucket up for more room ,and I place a 2x4 under bucket and it holds it up till I use it again. I keep bungees around stabilizers most of the time cause the BH is seldom used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think that is a bad idea. You have a potential for a bad injury if that 2x4 is knocked out accidentally.
I think a safer solution would be fit a 3x3 length of angle iron in between the lift cylinder base and the end of piston arm where it attaches to bucket. This what we did for safety in the shop I worked at to support dump truck body when we needed to work on the truck with dump body raised.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
even some home made wooden U channel strapped on the cylinder or even a piece of slit 1 1/2" pvc pipe would be better than the 2 x 4 support on the bottom - this topic has come up before and is a good method of "just in case" something bad might happen.

simple picture attached

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not long ago I was talking to a guy who was selling a mowing machine. It had lots of nice features, including a Kubota diesel engine. One big problem it had. It was parked under his tractor loader. The loader came down and the weight smashed the steering wheel and bent the steering shaft.

Be careful.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
And then there was the stupid dork of a roofer that knew his loader leaked and parked so the bucket full of roofing materials was resting on top of one of my gate posts and drove it into the ground a few inches further, thus unleveling the fence and the gate. :mad: sorry drifting off topic, my opinion of roofers is pretty low. This one was the last straw. Dishonest to boot.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Don't they make some kind of locking mechanism that straps around the hydraulic cylinder shaft? Even with something like that it seems like it's a good way to lose some fingers while removing!

My father's 2910 is stuffed into a garage with too much stuff. We have to park the FEL over the MMM during the winter, but the bucket sits on two HD steel horses. The horses are also braced with angle iron to create basically a table without the top, held in with pins. I wouldn't doubt it could hold over a ton of weight resting on it, and with weight always resting on them it's about impossible to kick it out. Works great and is easy to take apart.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I've got a 2014 BX25...we've put a hard 550 hours on it building roads, septic drain fields, digging trenches for power and water.

At 520 hrs the FEL tilt cylinder (center) blew up internally...I found chunks of it inside the screen and bigger chunks blocked the outlet hose.

Wasn't covered under warranty...$180 to replace...took the dealer three weeks to get one here (after I called Kubota corporate and complained.)

Prior to the cylinder failure - not much sag...nothing like the 15 minutes you describe. But...prior to the failure the front bucket would fall to the lowest retracted position in 30-45 seconds.

You might want to check and make sure you haven't blown a seal or have a leak someplace.

-Mac

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
My 3pt hitch with only a quick-hitch on it will drop all the way in a week. FEL is always stored on ground and after I shut off machine, I hit loader valve into float position to dump any stored energy. Just my way of knowing my 3yr old and 7yr old who play all over it cant hit the valve and something bad happen. I wouldnt have a BH even attached if I wasnt using it. Whole lot of mass to constantly pay attention too.