BX25D Hydraulic Fluid Foaming

pfeathers

Equipment
bx25d & box scraper
Dec 28, 2013
Anacortes, WA, USA
My BX25d with about 33 hours on the meter was making a funny noise when I lifted my 3 point hitch all the way or curled or dumped the bucket all the way. I had been running the tractor for several hours doing some driveway leveling. I checked the hydraulic fluid and saw lots of foam. I let it cool down, checked it again after the foam was gone and the level seem fine. Ran the tractor around the shop and looked again and he foaming was starting to show again. Anything I should look for? Is this normal?

pfeathers

Equipment
bx25d & box scraper
Dec 28, 2013
Anacortes, WA, USA
I called the dealer this morning. They said that it was not a normal thing, that I should bring it in as it is still under warranty. Also, not a good thing to run the tractor while it is foaming, could damage pump etc. I will post something when I get it back from the dealer. Might be a while, they are jammed because of corn season so I am at the end of the line.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Mine gets a bunch of tiny bubbles in the fluid when working the hydraulics, but I haven't noticed what I would call foaming with a froth of bubbles on top of the fluid. It doesn't seem to have any negative effect on anything.
I also have a sound when I raise the 3 point to the top and hold it. When it hits the top it whines a bit. Also happens when I reach the limit of the backhoe and loader movement under pressure. I think I read somewhere that it is a fluid bypass or something kicking in and is normal. Someone that knows more about this can explain better than I can. Mine has been like this since brand new 2 1/2 years ago. I'm due for a fluid change in about 50 more hours, so I'll see if new SUDT2 makes a difference. I don't know for sure what fluid came with the tractor from the dealer.

pfeathers

Equipment
bx25d & box scraper
Dec 28, 2013
Anacortes, WA, USA
I got the bx25d tractor back today from the dealer. I told them that when I ran the tractor at idle, you could see bubbles if you remove the transmission dipstick. When you run it at 2500 rpm, lots of bubbles and if you continue at that rpm or higher foam builds up. They confirmed that this was in fact what was happening. They check lines etc and tightened things up but it did not fix the problem. They called Kubota and talked to the main guys. Kubota said to change the transmission fluid and filter and put in SUDT. They did and that fixed the problem. I brought the tractor home and ran it for an hour or so at different speeds and no foaming no bubbles. I will keep checking as I use the machine.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thanks for the follow-up. I'm betting that redfernclan had it right with the cavitation. Maybe the filter screen was partially clogged with metal shavings left over from the manufacturing process. If that's the case, the screen was doing its job. You shouldn't have that problem again.