BX25 800 hrs - valve lash adjustment

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
So my BX25D-1 is about ready to roll over to 800 hours. Manual says to perform a valve lash service.

Not very happy with my local dealer. This time of year the tractor could be down for two weeks waiting on them...

How important is this...and I assume this involves a feeler gauge...time to look at the service manual.

-Mac

And P.S. I called the dealer. He said it would be around $200 for the service and that if it was running right he probably wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

snowman1

Equipment
BX25-Post hole digger-back blade
May 27, 2013
windfield pa
So my BX25D-1 is about ready to roll over to 800 hours. Manual says to perform a valve lash service.

Not very happy with my local dealer. This time of year the tractor could be down for two weeks waiting on them...

How important is this...and I assume this involves a feeler gauge...time to look at the service manual.

-Mac

And P.S. I called the dealer. He said it would be around $200 for the service and that if it was running right he probably wouldn't do it.
My dealer told me ,If it works OK don't bother

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Gasket, feeler gauge wrench and screw driver. Roll each cylinder over to top dead center on compression stroke. Usually if it's running and starting good, don't mess with it!

Pat

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I am surprised the dealers would offer such advice. I realize that these are not race engines with critical valve timing or anything, but sufficient valve lash ensures the valves fully close when the engine heats up.

Aside from any potential power loss, insufficient valve lash leads to burnt valves. I, personally, would rather do a bit of preventative maintenance every few hundred hours than a valve job down the road.

But that's just my 2¢.