BX23s to a 2601 = what % upgrade?

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
I consider my BX23s a 80%'er. It does most of what I want it to do 80% of the time but for the other 20% I have to literally beat it to hell and back. I always wanted the B2601 instead and was thinking of getting that. Anyone have any idea if a B2601 will get me to the 90-95% promise land? Is there a mathematical calculation for that, lol?

I think if I had 300-400lb more bucket lift (in the BX size bucket), as I want to lift engines and such and the BX struggles, 5 more HP(?) to actually push into a pile of dirt with the BX bucket (while lifting) along with dragging the box blade and not stalling (which rarely happens, but a few more horses would solve that), along with being able to pull a little more log and such, I would be there. There is also the bigger HST pump and backhoe.

Through general chatting, another person said a poster went from a BX to a 2601 and was less than excited. Not sure what he was looking for but I am not looking for much more. Sadly, the LX series is out of my price range. I hit my ceiling back at the B2601 stage. Sadly none were in stock at the time and I had to go with the BX. If I did step up to the BX, any idea's if the B2601 would take me to the promise land? If not, probably just as good dealing with the BX's inadequacies and saving $6k????

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, the Kubota build site shows a B2601 and an LX SU costing about the same. Something to consider, unless you need the mid-PTO. The LX SU would certainly be a significant upgrade in capacity.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm kinda considering the same upgrade ,but no backhoe. neighbour has one available 24/7 for his B2601
Probably a zero cost to flip Kubotas as well. it would be nice to have a bit more loader capacity as I use the pallet forks about 1/3rd of the time.

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
FWIW, the Kubota build site shows a B2601 and an LX SU costing about the same. Something to consider, unless you need the mid-PTO. The LX SU would certainly be a significant upgrade in capacity.

Backhoe is def a deal breaker, but, let me check out what the LX has to offer, thanks.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I had a bx before I had a b. Then I added an MX. personally I did. Not need the B. Ineeded a BX and an MX. I love my B however the upgrade was not a good value in my opinion. I needed a mid mower mower (to me MMM or space constraint is the limiting factor) and wanted a bigger tractor. I think a B is a BX with a lift kit in simple terms. The BX is very capable and actually I think it has a lower center of gravity. If you want more tractor (and don’t require a mid mount mower) maybe look a size bigger at the L2501. What I needed was an L. Not a B. I don’t think you get much to sell a BX to get a b. If you have a space constraint that is one thing but I think the L2501 is maybe the best value for dollar. Be cautious of the straight up published lift capacity. Those ratings assume flat level ground. If you ground is not flat and level you may not be able to use the advertised lift safely. That is where a bigger heavier gal comes in handy. Big girls need to be loved too. Don’t be embarrassed. 😉

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I consider my BX23s a 80%'er. It does most of what I want it to do 80% of the time but for the other 20% I have to literally beat it to hell and back. I always wanted the B2601 instead and was thinking of getting that. Anyone have any idea if a B2601 will get me to the 90-95% promise land? Is there a mathematical calculation for that, lol?
They have it figured out 😉

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I had a bx before I had a b. Then I added an MX. personally I did. Not need the B. Ineeded a BX and an MX. I love my B however the upgrade was not a good value in my opinion. I needed a mid mower mower (to me MMM or space constraint is the limiting factor) and wanted a bigger tractor. I think a B is a BX with a lift kit in simple terms. The BX is very capable and actually I think it has a lower center of gravity. If you want more tractor (and don’t require a mid mount mower) maybe look a size bigger at the L2501. What I needed was an L. Not a B. I don’t think you get much to sell a BX to get a b. If you have a space constraint that is one thing but I think the L2501 is maybe the best value for dollar. Be cautious of the straight up published lift capacity. Those ratings assume flat level ground. If you ground is not flat and level you may not be able to use the advertised lift safely. That is where a bigger heavier gal comes in handy. Big girls need to be loved too. Don’t be embarrassed. 😉
This is pretty similar advise my dealer gave me when I was looking at upgrading from the B2601 to the L2501. While I do think there are several advantages upgrading from a BX to a B (weight & lift capacity), my dealer flat-out wouldn’t sell me an LX when I originally inquired about replacing the B2601. He said the smallest tractor he’d sell me was the L2501….which was what I should have purchased the first time….it’s just my original thinking didn’t include a dedicated mower and tractor…I just wanted one machine. Having two dedicated machines has worked out better in most respects.

Mike

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I love my B however the upgrade was not a good value in my opinion.
I agree.

My BX2360 was a leftover model. '70 series were out. Friend was a salesman. Told him what I wanted, and literally never laid eyes on it until it was delivered. Got a great deal. Had been on both BX and B tractors while shopping.

Paid my 0%/60 month Kubota loan in 25 months, easily.

I should have bought a B then.....coulda/woulda/shoulda...🤓

I love my BX. Gotten a lot of work out of it. Betting it's saved me $7-10,000 in work I would have had to hire out without it.

But have shopped B's couple times over 9 years. I also have a front-mount snowblower, which adds considerable $$ to the transition, although my BX2750D will go on a B with proper front hitch.

Last priced a trade-in deal was about 5 years ago.

Keeping just my blower, and getting a new B2601 with MMM/FEL and front hitch left about $17,000 in difference. I couldn't justify it for the slight increase in capability.

That said, early-2020, I could get a "bare" B2601 w/ FEL for ~$20k, or B2601 TLB for ~$27k. Keep the BX for mowing/blowing. The TLB option actually had some attraction. Could add 3PH blower or mower if/when needed.

Can't have too many tractors, and my old '53 MM isn't mowing, blowing, or pushing snow at this place..... ;)

Skeets did a similar thing while back, and he has a BX2360 like me. Think it made sense for him, and might for me too. Just not right away....

My crew.....

442E0471-40A5-4F9B-B2C7-359A31FC7183.jpeg

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My guess is that if you get the larger tractor, your perceived need will also increase...so you will be left with the same question...

80 percent of perceived needs is not that bad. Might be better to put the extra cash towards your retirement fund.

Of course, if you have excess cash, you might want to go bigger than you are thinking right now...with tractors, bigger is mostly better...

I was in the recent past thinking of increasing the size of my larger tractor, but fortunately came to my senses...considering my needs and the incremental improvement.

Edit: Being retired now I appreciate what I did to contribute to my retirement savings. If you are younger you may not realize this, but when you get to retirement age you do. No clue where you are in life...just a suggestion hopefully you may consider...