BX23S Pallet Fork Options

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
I have a few, like 2 exactly projects that would be easier with a set of pallet forks. I found a set on amazon for ~$300 for SSQT frame and forks which is great other than the weight is 230lbs which seems high to me.

Any one find a better option?

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
The lightest sets made are by Artillian, all made in the USA too. It's a modular system so it can grow as your needs do.

http://www.artillian.com/

Everything Attachments have some decent ones too: https://www.everythingattachments.com/Pallet-Forks-s/108.htm

All the CHEAP amazon ones are made in "you know where that begins with a C" if that maters to you-quality is hit and miss.

You'll likely find that once you have forks, you'll use them more than your bucket.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have a 3pt set that are about 50kg (100lb I guess). They are good for 250kg, which is all a BX lifts anyway. A front set should really weigh about the same, otherwise you're eating into your lift capacity quite a bit. I'd say they should weigh same or less than your bucket.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I'd say they should weigh same or less than your bucket.
I'm not sure I agree with that. A bucket is comparatively short and wide. The structural loads, bending and shearing forces are much lower and distributed over a large area.

Forks are long and skinny. There can be significantly more leverage applied and the forces are concentrated. Because the width is adjustable, that point of concentration could be applied at anywhere across the travel, Consequently, both the forks themselves and the backframe they hang from must be beefy.

One thing that does not impress me about the Artillian design is the optional "backrest". I think it is even more important to have that protection on a tractor than on a tow motor style machine. The tow motor lifts nearly level, whereas most tractor FEL arms lift the load in an arc and must be leveled manually by the operator. I believe that the backrest can be fairly lightweight construction for a compact tractor FEL mounted system, but should be integral with the frame, not optional and removable.

But that's just my 2¢.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
One thing that does not impress me about the Artillian design is the optional "backrest". I think it is even more important to have that protection on a tractor than on a tow motor style machine. The tow motor lifts nearly level, whereas most tractor FEL arms lift the load in an arc and must be leveled manually by the operator. I believe that the backrest can be fairly lightweight construction for a compact tractor FEL mounted system, but should be integral with the frame, not optional and removable.

But that's just my 2¢.
Funny, I am quite the opposite, I never have the backrest on my Artillian forks. I have pallet racking in my building and the backrest would hit the trusses (10' off the floor) loading the top shelf. If I was moving brush all the time I'd probably mount it-but then I do have the grapple for that. I like having the choice myself.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
A Worksaver brand pallet fork was included with my tractor. Seems pretty well made & I have used it a couple times . If I had gone ahead & bought new I wouldn't have purchased but now its a " gotta have " along with my QH 10 quick attach for the 3pt.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have a 3ph set, I use them a lot for moving pallets, because I have a few pallets and I can stack all sorts of stuff on them. I've been building a shed, and I put all my tools and materials on pallets, so I could put them away every night and get them out again every morning. Absolutely excellent.

We have a diesel tank that goes in the back of the truck to get oil for the heating boiler, it's on a pallet. I can put it in with the 3ph forks (on a loading ramp), if I had forks on the front end loader it'd be way more useful.

My new shed will have racks for all my implements. Once I get a new BX with quick attach, then I'll add a quick attach hitch to my forks, and I'll be able to put all the implements away using forks on the FEL.

In general any fetch and carry type tasks can be done easier with forks + pallet than with the bucket, unless you're moving actual bulk material (soil, gravel etc)

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
What am i missing? I have a Grapple for brush, what other uses have you guys come up with.
A few:
Digging small stumps
Moving pallets or dollies with tools/implements on them
Unloading your pickup truck
Stacking things for better storage
Using them as a portable work platform

I just used mine the other day to help assemble our new bandsaw:

Attachments

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I have used my pallet forks to move table saw, band saw, generator, power poles, concrete blocks, my belly mower when not attached to the tractor, picnic table, unload new freezer from truck, many more things.
no there not heavy duty but they work for me!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Unloading your pickup truck

Using them as a portable work platform
These are two things I'm doing more-and-more.

Will toss a pallet in the truck, load it at store, then take it all off at once with forks.....

Portable work station in a pinch when combined with my cordless Milwaukee tools....

I just have the clamp-on type for my pin-on BX bucket, so I pay close attention to weight.

Last edited:

Duganoz

Equipment
BX2370 FEL (sold), BX23S, LP 54" Box Blade, BX2816 Snowblower
Aug 2, 2018
Dexter, MI
Just purchased a BX23s after selling my 2014 BX2370. It was an impressive machine but I needed the backhoe. This new machine has the universal skid steer attachment plate and I was looking for a set of forks. I had the BXpanded over the FEL forks and they worked just perfect for my use. Now I'm committed to the SS due to the Quick attach Skid Steer mount. The BXpanded won't work on this new FEL bucket. I combed the internet and found what I think is the best and least expensive solution.

HLA Attachments. Light weight.

HD0936 Light Duty Pallet Fork c/w Tines 36" 190 lbs
HD0942 Light Duty Pallet Fork c/w Tines 42" 205 lbs
HD0948 Light Duty Pallet Fork c/w Tines 48" 215 lbs

The forks are rated at 1,000 lbs each but the frame is 900lb. I was worried about this lightweight design until I looked at the Kubota SS mount on the tractor. It's very substantial for such and low weight limit on the FEL. As most have said the BX FEL capacity is greatly reduced by the attachments. I looked at the usual designs , AI2 and others but none appear to have one for this SS mount. My dealer has the 42" for $650 locally. The 36" are about $25 less.

I hope this helps someone else out there. I use the forums a lot when researching and always appreciate those who take the time to post their knowledge and experience.

FYI: I had ordered and received Titan 42" forks for $440 but they were just too heavy IMO. 290 lbs. The way I use my tractor I need all I can get.