BX23S. No start fixed not a safety switch

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
This is a follow up from my problem yesterday. I went to the dealer this morning when they opened. Talked to parts to order the PTO safety switch. Walked into service to see about getting it picked up. They told me to verify the safety switches and wiring first before they come and got it (so they wouldn't have to charge me for the pickup). I had already tested all the switches and checked all the wiring to them. The service manger sent a truck to pick it up. The driver verified all the switches were good. He tried to start it. When it didn't start he opened the hood as far as we could get it open. I have an after market brush guard on the front, when the bucket is curled all the way back you can't get the hood completely open.

He looked at the stop solenoid, then went and took at look at the starter. The white wire going to the solenoid was pushed back not making contact. He pushed it back on and it fired right up.

So tomorrow when the PTO switch come in, and I pick it up I will see what this lesson cost me.

thanks for the ideas yesterday.
IMG_5503.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
On the BX the PTO lever is a common problem, bump it getting on or off, and she no go, 2 days later and many many naughty words, I bumped it all the way up,, and vrooooom,,,, *(&&*%%&^%@^(!

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
On the BX the PTO lever is a common problem, bump it getting on or off, and she no go, 2 days later and many many naughty words, I bumped it all the way up,, and vrooooom,,,, *(&&*%%&^%@^(!
That was the first thing I checked. I then went after the treadle pedal switch to see if it was causing the issue. I even checked the seat switch ( which I knew couldn't cause the problem because I can start it stand on the side of it). When none of them seemed bad, I took the PTO safety switch connector off, the body of the switch broke off. I jumped the switch and it still didn't start.

Service guy found the issue this morning.

carlbach

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 25, 2022
Pittsburgh
That was the first thing I checked. I then went after the treadle pedal switch to see if it was causing the issue. I even checked the seat switch ( which I knew couldn't cause the problem because I can start it stand on the side of it). When none of them seemed bad, I took the PTO safety switch connector off, the body of the switch broke off. I jumped the switch and it still didn't start.

Service guy found the issue this morning.
Hi-Any chance of finding out what happened?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
from the first post....2nd paragraph

The white wire going to the solenoid was pushed back not making contact. He pushed it back on and it fired right up.

Mine did the same 'no start'. I rejigged the wires, released tension on the white wire, added a tyrap, been fine for the past 5 years.

carlbach

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 25, 2022
Pittsburgh
Hi-Any chance of finding out what happened?
from the first post....2nd paragraph

The white wire going to the solenoid was pushed back not making contact. He pushed it back on and it fired right up.

Mine did the same 'no start'. I rejigged the wires, released tension on the white wire, added a tyrap, been fine for the past 5 years.
Got to say I am losing my religion over my no-start issues on my BX23S. Thank you for pointing out the obvious answer to my question about the post. I thought there had to be more to the story than a white wire disconnected. I have changed out 3 of 4 safety switches already, 1-pto, and 2-seat switches. Now trying to locate the HST neutral switch for replacement. Pulled the right rear tire and could not access the switch, so back to the drawing board. Thanks again for your response.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thanks for the update and the pic.

I'm sure it will help someone out down the road.

carlbach

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 25, 2022
Pittsburgh
I have to say I am losing my religion over my no-start issues on my BX23S. Thank you for pointing out the obvious answer to my question about the post. I thought there had to be more to the story than a white wire disconnected. I have changed out 3 of 4 safety switches already, 1-pto, and 2-seat switches. Now trying to locate the HST neutral switch for replacement. Pulled the right rear tire and could not access the switch, so back to the drawing board. Thanks again for your response.
Update: no loose wires at the starter, and no loose wires anywhere that I can see, also hst pedal is greased and moving freely. I did manage to access my HST neutral switch visually but the bracket and switch are not accessible without some serious dismantling of hydraulic lines and/or removal of the seat and metal cowl under the seat.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
From the wiring diagram...

main switch(start terminal) --->PTO shift lever-(on/off ?)--->HST pedal switch-(neutral)-->Starter relay(on starter)

I'd think removing the 'floor pan' ( 4 bolts )would gain access to the switch

carlbach

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 25, 2022
Pittsburgh
From the wiring diagram...

main switch(start terminal) --->PTO shift lever-(on/off ?)--->HST pedal switch-(neutral)-->Starter relay(on starter)

I'd think removing the 'floor pan' ( 4 bolts )would gain access to the switch
Thanks, One of the pans is coming off tomorrow.

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.
when my b2620 won't start I put my toe under the front treadle pedal and lift up and then try, starts every time.

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.
it was fine until it got cold; Most likely it needs a good degreasing first.