BX23S mower and backhoe

Ramhead

Feb 4, 2018
Fraser Valley
Anyone know if you can use a mid mount deck without removing the backhoe? I am still waiting for mine to arrive and not sure if the backhoe or loader use the hydraulics that would raise and lower the mower.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
You should be fine, on my Bx25D, I could leave the backhoe on and still mow the hard. It was a little bouncy so I woukd took it off.

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
BX23S owner here. You can use the MMM with the BH and FEL attached. The MMM uses the mid PTO, the BH uses the rear hydraulics only. The rear 3 point lift arms are not in the way of or used by the BH.

It is easier on the tractor if you remove them. Removing the BH and FEL is not hard but take it from me, view the Messicks Youtube videos and read the owner's manual sections on this. Your first time or two you will curse profusely trying to reconnect, but after several run throughs you will be a pro.

On the FEL, pay close attention to bucket curl position in removal & hookup. That was the part causing my troubles until I saw the light.

If you decide to store the BH, get some blocking under it to prevent it from settling as the stabilizer arms slowly sag.

The mower height control is very hard to move unless you raise the deck fully up. Setting it to "TOP" position will allow you to keep the deck raised while using the rear 3 point system.

You did order the 3 point hitch, right? My dealer added it in as standard even though I was new to tractors and didn't know it was an add on and needed. I use this more than the BH.

Last edited:

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Also take off the loader and BH on a level hard surface, will make hooking back up easier. If you have a few extra bucks pick up a BXpanded BH dolly, or make one if you can. That makes life so easy to take off & on, moving it too.

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
I cussed and wrestled and worked up a good hatred for removing/installing my BH the first year, dreaded it. Then one day I figured out a touch of left stabilizer lift presto that pin falls right out, then a touch of right stabilizer lift presto that pin falls right out. So stabilizers as the final nudge to take the weight off the pins, after discovering that it was effortless to remove/install and took like 2 minutes. Much happier BH owner then.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Two other trucks to removing the backhoe: (1) disconnect hydraulics last when removing and connect first when reattaching. Its a lot easier to use the hydraulics to get things in place rather than trying to muscle it. (2) take it off in the shade. The sun will cause pressure in the lines making it very difficult to reconnect the couplers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
I cussed and wrestled and worked up a good hatred for removing/installing my BH the first year, dreaded it. Then one day I figured out a touch of left stabilizer lift presto that pin falls right out, then a touch of right stabilizer lift presto that pin falls right out. So stabilizers as the final nudge to take the weight off the pins, after discovering that it was effortless to remove/install and took like 2 minutes. Much happier BH owner then.
The BH on the BX23S has a cam device that captures fixed pins on the back of the tractor. Your stabilizer lift hint works in a similar fashion, allows pulling and turning the cam lock levers with much less effort.

And after moving to WA from the southeast a few years back I agree with you. Death to blackberries! I grew up in Alabama, our kudzu was something to behold during the summer, but at least it didn't have thorns!

Last edited:

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
The BH on the BX23S has a cam device that captures fixed pins on the back of the tractor. Your stabilizer lift hint works in a similar fashion, allows pulling and turning the cam lock levers with much less effort.

And after moving to WA from the southeast a few years back I agree with you. Death to blackberries! I grew up in Alabama, our kudzu was something to behold during the summer, but at least it didn't have thorns!
I put a tooth bar on my B2920 bucket, raised the bucket like a T-Rex and plowed through my 8 foot tall blackberry patch and ripped those things out by the roots ROAR. lol This is an invasive species of blackberry we have in the pacific NW, Himalayan, the cains can grow 40 feet long.