BX23S dies when going downhill - problem and solution

drb1215

Equipment
BX23S
Aug 3, 2017
Keswick, VA
HI,

I have brand spanking new Kubota BX23S that starting having a strange problem (it has less than 20 hours on it). Whenever i would go down a steep hill, the engine would sputter and die. Yesterday I was cutting a trail in the woods and was on the downhill run, it would die every time I put my foot on the HST!

First thing I thought was that I was running low on fuel, and since the tank was less than 1/2 way, maybe it was not picking up fuel. Not the case.

Looking at the forums I was seeing suggestions about clogged fuel filters, dirt in the tank, the float not set right in the carb, etc. All things that should not have applied to my new tractor.

The problem turned out to be me!! My butt in particular. Whenever I was in a dicey area, or should I say felt dicey due to the off camber nature of the hill, I would shift in my seat...causing the cutoff switch located under the seat to trip. So, by simply tilting the seat back a bit when working downhill, it forced me to sit deeper into the seat, ending the problem :)

Thanks for listening, or reading I should say!
-Dan

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Reminds me of when my boy was young and just starting out driving the tractor, it would run real rough. RPM's up and down and chugging... coming real close to killing the engine. I would ride it and it was fine. I watched him for a while and saw him bouncing around in the tractor seat. He was so light (he was a skinny little dude) he would bounce around and the seat safety switch would go on and off as he bounced. He just did not have enough weight to keep the switch engaged (a problem I certainly did not have). So I found a weight to hang off the back of the seat that would keep the safety switch engaged while he was seated, but would not be enough to to engage the switch if he stood up. Problem solved until he got older and heavier.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
HI,

I have brand spanking new Kubota BX23S that starting having a strange problem (it has less than 20 hours on it). Whenever i would go down a steep hill, the engine would sputter and die. Yesterday I was cutting a trail in the woods and was on the downhill run, it would die every time I put my foot on the HST!

First thing I thought was that I was running low on fuel, and since the tank was less than 1/2 way, maybe it was not picking up fuel. Not the case.

Looking at the forums I was seeing suggestions about clogged fuel filters, dirt in the tank, the float not set right in the carb, etc. All things that should not have applied to my new tractor.

The problem turned out to be me!! My butt in particular. Whenever I was in a dicey area, or should I say felt dicey due to the off camber nature of the hill, I would shift in my seat...causing the cutoff switch located under the seat to trip. So, by simply tilting the seat back a bit when working downhill, it forced me to sit deeper into the seat, ending the problem :)

Thanks for listening, or reading I should say!
-Dan
Thats the ticket! My "new" BX25D ....going down a rather good hill, scoots your butt forward, engine dies.......

And dont think you can stand up to see better either...while moving forward a bit when using your FEL!!:p:)

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Mine does that on very steep hills. I put my foot on the loader mast to hold myself back and keep seat switch happy...

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
an easy way to keep this from happening..... (know this because it was happening to me every time i went down the steeper hills too!)

is to just fasten your seat belt!

it puts just enough pressure to hold you & the seat back onto that switch! & on the downhill angle the little thing inside it has already pivoted out so you dont get the slack..

SoulTrader

Equipment
BX23s
Oct 22, 2017
Sooke, BC.
Hi,

I've just had exactly this happen to me twice on my driveway which has quite a steep incline. New BX23s Approx 14hrs on the clock. Tractor went up the hill twice with no problem. The first time I came down in high ratio and it stalled on the way down. The next time I popped it into low before coming down and it did the same.
I must confess I wasn't wearing the seatbelt on both occasions.
The seat engine cutout sensor kicking in makes a lot of sense. I'll check that out the next time around and will be wearing my seatbelt from this point onwards!!