BX23s Axle seal leak

flogler

Equipment
2017 BX23s
Dec 18, 2019
Debary, FL. USA
I was working tractor both backhoe and loader and then started smelling oil. At first I couldn't see anything leaking(thought it was fuel) then as I'm looking around the fuel tank, I see more oil on the ground. Right rear wheel was coated and so was tire. This is a 2017 model(the newer bodystyle so to speak), Its still under the 6 year warranty and I'm hoping that the seal is covered. I know Ill have to pay for transport(20 minutes away). I was thinking of pulling the wheel off and just seeing if by chance the seal came out because of these vines that I have been clearing. What do you think? How big of a job is this to change seal? If I take it in, should I remove both loader and backhoe just to make it easier to manuvere? It would lighten the load if nothing else but then they wouldn't be able to use outrigger to raise rear end.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
set the parking brake and do not release it until you are DONE.

Remove the wheel. Remove the remainder of the seal. Remove snap ring. Remove axle. Remove the bearing from the axle then remove the old seal. Clean it all up good. Install new seal over the axle. Reinstall the bearing. Put the axle back in, install the snap ring. Then push the seal back in. Refill transmission.

Double check the vent tube, they get plugged and pressure inside the transmission will force the seal(s) out of the axle housing.

flogler

Equipment
2017 BX23s
Dec 18, 2019
Debary, FL. USA
set the parking brake and do not release it until you are DONE.

Remove the wheel. Remove the remainder of the seal. Remove snap ring. Remove axle. Remove the bearing from the axle then remove the old seal. Clean it all up good. Install new seal over the axle. Reinstall the bearing. Put the axle back in, install the snap ring. Then push the seal back in. Refill transmission.

Double check the vent tube, they get plugged and pressure inside the transmission will force the seal(s) out of the axle housing.
Do i have to pull axle housing or can i do it by just pulling shaft(saw some youtube videos on other models and it was more involved)

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Do i have to pull axle housing or can i do it by just pulling shaft(saw some youtube videos on other models and it was more involved)
As he said, "remove axle", not the axle housing. It is a very simple operation on a BX series.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
leave the housing on

it is simple, as long as you set the parking brake

the brake is a wet multi disc type, supported by the axle. if you don't set the park brake before you pull the axle out, the discs fall out of place and makes it no fun to put it back together. setting the parking brake holds the discs where they need to be held then you just yank the axle out.

Reactions: 1 user