BX2380 rear ballast weight

Realtor

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 19, 2024
Pensacola Fl
I'm getting ready to make a home made (concrete) ballast weight for my BX2380 sub compact. I got in a situation with the FEL and the tractor felt super duper unstable. I want to balance the weight out with a rear ballast from the quick hitch when I use the FEL.

Question is: My calculations show I'll be adding right at 340-350 Lbs to the at the quick hitch. Will this be enough? How much weight are you putting on your quick hitch/3 point for use as ballast weight?

Last edited:

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Enough depends on what and how you're carrying in front.
I know with the backhoe on my BX (same as yours) I can't lift anything heavy enough to make the rear light.
Backhoe is somewhere above 600lbs? Plus a lot of the weight is carrier further out from the rear wheels (the further out it is the more impact it will have)

Reactions: 1 user

Realtor

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 19, 2024
Pensacola Fl
Enough depends on what and how you're carrying in front.
I know with the backhoe on my BX (same as yours) I can't lift anything heavy enough to make the rear light.
Backhoe is somewhere above 600lbs? Plus a lot of the weight is carrier further out from the rear wheels (the further out it is the more impact it will have)
I don't have the backhoe, I'm hoping this will balance it out better

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
You're never going to figure it out exactly because each FEL load is going to be different. Put 350-400 lbs back there. You'll be happy 99.9% of the time.

Reactions: 2 users

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I don't have the backhoe, I'm hoping this will balance it out better
The backhoe will balance it better than any 3 point ballast. I just outlined why.
3 Point ballast should work unless you're doing something crazy.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Question is: My calculations show I'll be adding right at 340-350 Lbs to the at the quick hitch. Will this be enough? How much weight are you putting on your quick hitch/3 point for use as ballast weight?
Can you cast some threaded inserts in your concrete? That would give you a way to hang more weight on if you need to.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If not committed to concrete ballast box, consider a 3PH 'carryall' and a 'skid of weight'. Actually 2 'skids of weight'. EASY to get 'weighted skid' on/ff tractor. You can 'dial in' a heavy and a light skid,choose the one you need for the job at hand.
When you need some ballast for light loads,say compost or mulch fork the 'light' skid. For hauling buckets of stone, grab the 'heavy' skid.
A lot of guys have a 'skid of tools',say for land clearing. Makes it quick and simple to grab everything in one shot like gas,oil, saws, pruners, ropes,bandaids,.......

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree with Jay - a variable usage tool on the back is a great idea. I did that for a long time.

To make the concrete ballast "box" will require many of the same materials to make a carry-all.

Then gather up some 5 gallon bucks and pour the concrete in them- each bucket if full will hold approx 100 pounds - so four buckets will be ok most of the time and if you need more add another bucket!

The only problem with these buckets will be the handle will break over the long usage.

Start with this :

1711541523596.png

end up with this :

1711541561430.png

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
BTW, my old style Kubota weight box is labelled "300 pounds for BX; 400 pounds for B Series."

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Before getting to happy with the throttle, I’d encourage to consider all the different tasks where need ballast and then search some of the older threads on weight hangers, ballast boxes, and carry alls…there are pros/cons to each. You might find all kinds of great ideas (tool carriers, trailer hitch, multi use implements) that might be helpful before you start pouring the mix😉.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
BTW, my old style Kubota weight box is labelled "300 pounds for BX; 400 pounds for B Series."
I have over 600 pounds in the weight box for my BX23S, along with filled tires. Keeps my tires firmly planted on the ground.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I bought a pre-made one from Titan for my B2301.
I believe it was around $125. I filled it with concrete 1/2 blocks (caps blocks).
They are about 30# each and I believe I fit 12 into the box.
I went that route for a few reasons. First of all it has tubes in the corner for tools, shove and rake handles and it also has a 2" receiver. It seemed more logical to go that route.
Most of the concrete ones I have seen have been damaged and chipped away, a few broken where the lower 3 point steel protrudes.
Which FEL do you have? Kubota has suggested counterweight weight depending on the FEL capacity.
And it varies from 350# for a LA304 to 800# for a LA504.
So there's a lot of room in there for experimenting.
Balance is important...but the main purpose of a counterweight is to lighten the load on the front axle when carrying a load. Filled tires don't accomplish that but will help with stability.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Before getting to happy with the throttle, I’d encourage to consider all the different tasks where need ballast and then search some of the older threads on weight hangers, ballast boxes, and carry alls…there are pros/cons to each. You might find all kinds of great ideas (tool carriers, trailer hitch, multi use implements) that might be helpful before you start pouring the mix😉.
I agree.

Lots of cool things that can be done to a ballast box, so a little planning could go a long way.

I ended up using/having some scrap steel parts that I used as filler (i.e. my trucks old flywheel, and brake rotors...) then filled it with concrete.

However, before I started the concrete, I cut a hole at the bottom and welded a 2" receiver at the top and bottom.

Now I have a concrete work surface and a way to sharpen my chainsaw with the vice that I mounted to the top receiver. (hahaha......so I don't have to walk the whopping 40 feet back to the garage. :unsure: )

Then I welded some scrap pieces of square channel for rakes and stuff.

The funniest part is that I almost never use it since the BH77 is on most of the time. Fun project though.

20230221_092201[1].jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I just use cement blocks. Can remove or add as needed. Have about 350 lbs in my ballast box for my 1880. Learned ballast real quick after lifting a full bucket with no ballast. My butt puckers up so bad I heard a pop getting off the seat. Lesson learned!

• Haha

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I think it's important to remember when you're ballasting the placement of the weight is just (if not more) as important as how much weight.
The further to the rear you can get your weight the more impact it will have balancing out your front.
Keeping it low also helps.

Lots of cool things that can be done to a ballast box, so a little planning could go a long way.

Now I have a concrete work surface and a way to sharpen my chainsaw with the vice that I mounted to the top receiver. (hahaha......so I don't have to walk the whopping 40 feet back to the garage. :unsure: )
That's a really good point. Cargo options are really limited, especially on smaller tractors. Even just going around my small yard I hate having to walk back to the garage to get something and I can't always fill the bucket with what I need.

I love the vise idea! That's perfect for touchup in the woods.

I ended up getting a bench grinder for my chain; when I'm milling I have so much sharpening it's absurd. Most of my bars take 100+ link chains, and each has multiple chains.
And trying to sharpen chain on a 52 inch bar with a 25 lb head is a huge headache.....

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I could never consider filling a weight box full of concrete, especially when one considers the cost of the new Kubota weight box WB10 at $735 or so. I would fill it with scrap steel that can be removed when not needed. If I were inclined to fill it with concrete, I would grease the sides and bottom and put a hook in the middle of the block of concrete so it can be removed from the weight box if I so desired. Concrete is corrosive when it comes in contact with steel, and I can see the weight box rusting out in 10 years. If I wanted a vise mounted on top, I would make a 1/2" steel plate that I could bolt down to the concrete and then bolt the vise to that steel plate.

Realtor

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 19, 2024
Pensacola Fl
I ended up going with the "Country Boy" idea of filling a plastic tub with concrete. It ain't pretty, but its heavy.... Thankful for YouTube and the internet. I put the extra pipe out the back, I figure I could slide a steel weight over it I have to. ended up with 250Lb of concrete and some old rusty rebar and wire I had around here. It should help...

Attachments