BX2370 Hydro Question?

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I've had old bolens/huskey garden tractors and the engine would stall before the hydro would "slip" (tires not turning). Today on the BX2370 I got the sub soiler hung up on a large root and had great traction. Pushing the pedal all the way didn't turn the wheels. RPM's were 3000. Is this normal operation? Maybe I'm just use to the way under powered poor traction little garden toys in the past? Oh, the RPM's did drop some but not that much, nor did black smoke come out the exhaust like some diesels under a heavy load.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
What range? I can trench with my rears if I stuff my bucket into something solid. If Im in Hi, the engine will bog but rears still spin and buck.

Also pushing the pedal all the way down is more for speed than power, its counterintuitive....

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
It shouldnt be compared to a gas pedal.as you press harder,volume goes up pressure goes down. So the harder you want to push/pull the less pedal you use. If wheels wont break loose and root wont pop then you hit an immoveable object. A lower range if you had may help.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
It shouldnt be compared to a gas pedal.as you press harder,volume goes up pressure goes down. So the harder you want to push/pull the less pedal you use. If wheels wont break loose and root wont pop then you hit an immoveable object. A lower range if you had may help.
I knew I was forgetting some important info., it was in low range. Also I had lifted the 3 point so the rear was really getting some good traction. I did notice something similar before, going up my driveway, if in low gear I quickly depressed the pedal it didn't bog the engine, nor jerk the tractor forward, it was just slow to get moving. Keep in mind what I said I was use to before, may not be apples to apples.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I would say there is something wrong with your system. A hydrostatic transmission is pretty much positive displacement. Pistons in the pump and pistons in the drive unit. The wheels should be slipping to prevent damage to the system even in four wheel drive. There may be relief valve between the pump and drive units to provide some protection, but my wheels have always slipped or the engine has started to bog down.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Thanks everyone. Let me add this question. If in high range would you have a slip or the engine bogs down? How much would the engine bog down, enough to stall it?

Like I said I'm comparing it to old much smaller 14HP garden tractors. On those without the mower deck you could go from reverse to forward pulling a wheelie. Or up a steep grade pushing the pedal all the way fast could stall the engine. The hydro's were that "tight". Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to pull wheelies with the BX!

I think I'll have to test drive another one at the dealer and see how it acts, it won't take long to know if it's how they are or if mine has a problem

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Pretty sure theres a relief that will make an audible noise if you "max out" your transmission. I would check fluid level, hydro pedal linkage first. There are some YouTube vids of the linkage being loose, and causing slow speed. Not necessarily your problem, but worth a look.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How many hours on the little beast, have you done the 50 hour fluid changes and filters.
I know my BX will dig holes in LR and in HR if Im in to something that wont move.
Like said fluid level check, filters if not serviced.
And it might sound like out of left field,,,
TIRE PRESSURE ,,
Yes its true, the wheels will spin in the tires, and you might think WTF is going on here I cant get any traction.
Trust me you would not be the first to have that problem

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
How many hours on the little beast, have you done the 50 hour fluid changes and filters.
I know my BX will dig holes in LR and in HR if Im in to something that wont move.
Like said fluid level check, filters if not serviced.
And it might sound like out of left field,,,
TIRE PRESSURE ,,
Yes its true, the wheels will spin in the tires, and you might think WTF is going on here I cant get any traction.
Trust me you would not be the first to have that problem
Whoa. There is no way in hell that it would spin the tires in HR with any sort of traction. I accidentally left it in high a couple times and very quickly realized it.
Still breaking it in, only 15 hours.
No the wheels aren't spinning in the tires (seen that on drag race cars).
Keep in mind I said the subsoiler was hung up on a root and I lifted the 3 point all it would go, so that put more pressure on the rear wheels. But still, spinning in HR? No, in fact I'd guess it was a 12° pitch hill and it wouldn't even go up that in HR. LR no problem at all.
I'll ask this, if in HR on blacktop uphill and you push the pedal fairly fast, will it slowly gain speed or bog the motor? Or a little of both?

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Pretty sure theres a relief that will make an audible noise if you "max out" your transmission. I would check fluid level, hydro pedal linkage first. There are some YouTube vids of the linkage being loose, and causing slow speed. Not necessarily your problem, but worth a look.
Thanks, I have checked the fluid and the linkage sure feels good but I'll give it a try. I'm thinking it's just the way it is, and that is a lot different from the little hydro's I've driven. They would stall the engine in the same scenario.

I was writing this as the reply after yours came in, so I don't know. The audible noise, would that be the same as when the attachments are at thier limits or do they have a separate relief valve? It sure didn't sound like that one. I don't recall hearing one at all but it could have.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I talked to my dealer service guy and he said it is normal. Says the older models didn't have a pressure relief valve for the hydro drive, but the new(er?) ones do. Told him if I have it in high range and step on the pedal fast, you start off a little slow and build speed. He said that is perfectly normal for the newer ones. Same with the sub soiler being stuck on a root, that pulls a great amount of force down on the rear wheels so they get better traction, and the relief valve opens so it doesn't hurt the transaxle.

Hmm. I hope they didn't cheapen up the newer tractors so that they need the relief valve. Has anyone broke an older one? :(

user4211

Mar 23, 2016
Crawfordsville,In
I've stalled my drive wheels on my BX more times than I can count. They are a glorified lawn mower. And an unimpressive one IMO.

2006 rtv900 6250hrs, 2015 bx2370-1 110hrs

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
With hydraulics and no metal to metal all the way from the pistons,ya gotta expect there are limits to torque and the engine still runs.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
With hydraulics and no metal to metal all the way from the pistons,ya gotta expect there are limits to torque and the engine still runs.
The limit is set by a relief valve, otherwise there would be no slip. Pistons pushing hydraulic fluid pushing another set of pistons. In-compressible fluid makes it positive displacement. Hydrostatic is not like an automatic transmission with a torque converter to allow slippage so a gas engine can build torque.

Sqidget

Equipment
BX24
Feb 5, 2011
Richmond, RI
I know I'm a little late here but one thing that has popped up from time to time is the rims spinning in the tires. I know it sounds impossible, put a paint or marker line on the tires and rims, then use the machine. check for alignment after use. There have been multiple threads across other forums and brands of this happening.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
The question was answered by my dealers service dept. The new(er) ones have a pressure relief valve in the hydro to limit torque and lugging down the engine.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
There is a lot less slip then you may think. In my old hydro garden tractors I could pull wheelies. Or it could lug down the engine easily enough to stall it. Like I said, the newer ones have a pressure relief valve. They wouldn't have any need for that if the hydro had limits like you say.