BX2360 slow cranking

NeilP

Sep 9, 2015
Spearfish SD, USA
I have a BX2360 with 330 hours on the clock. Last fall the battery went bad, so I purchased a new one with the same CCA as the OEM battery that was in it.
The new battery solved the problem......fast forward 9 months later, and the little BX cranks over very slowly. It barely turns over fast enough to fire after heating the glow plugs.

I pulled the battery out and tested it with my load tester & it checked out fine. Took it into town & had it tested at two other locations hoping one of then would tell me it was going bad, but no such luck.

I checked the voltage coming from the alternator, and it shows 14.5v when the engine is running.

I guess the next step is to replace the starter? Any other suggestions?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If you have a good set of jumper cables, jump pos to starter and neg to ground. Just an easy test to remove any doubt. Myself, i would likely pull starter and clean armature and lubricate the bushings. Some cant be disassembled.

Previously,before new battery,the weak battery could have damaged the starter.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Check all the battery cable connections. Especially remove and check the terminals that connect to the battery. If you did't clean the inside of the terminals when you installed the new battery it could well be the problem. They make a special brush to clean the battery post and the cable connections to the battery, but you can also just use sandpaper.

NeilP

Sep 9, 2015
Spearfish SD, USA
If you have a good set of jumper cables, jump pos to starter and neg to ground. Just an easy test to remove any doubt. Myself, i would likely pull starter and clean armature and lubricate the bushings. Some cant be disassembled.

Previously,before new battery,the weak battery could have damaged the starter.
I do have a good set of jumpers that I made out of welding cable. I will give your idea a try too.

Much appreciated!

NeilP

Sep 9, 2015
Spearfish SD, USA
Check all the battery cable connections. Especially remove and check the terminals that connect to the battery. If you did't clean the inside of the terminals when you installed the new battery it could well be the problem. They make a special brush to clean the battery post and the cable connections to the battery, but you can also just use sandpaper.
I know the terminals on the battery & battery cable ends are clean. Cleaned them again this afternoon when I put the battery back in. I have not looked at the cable ends at the starter yet.