Bx2360 ballest box needed ASAP

DJBillT

Equipment
BX2360 FEL 52" Mower 60" Snowblower
May 17, 2015
New York
We just got the LA243 loader. After one day of use we quickly (and almost the hard way) found out that we need a ballast box to use when using the LA243. I spent a few hours searching the web and found next to nothing. Cost is no object, however ease of use is. We want to be able to use the existing rear 3 point hitch. Whatever we buy has to be light when empty so that we can store it. I am surprised I can't find something you fill with water that has baffles in it so that when you move around it remains stable. Any help will be appreciated. I would like to stay with OEM Kubota however aftermarket / other brands will be considered. Thank you.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
We just got the LA243 loader. After one day of use we quickly (and almost the hard way) found out that we need a ballast box to use when using the LA243. I spent a few hours searching the web and found next to nothing. Cost is no object, however ease of use is. We want to be able to use the existing rear 3 point hitch. Whatever we buy has to be light when empty so that we can store it. I am surprised I can't find something you fill with water that has baffles in it so that when you move around it remains stable. Any help will be appreciated. I would like to stay with OEM Kubota however aftermarket / other brands will be considered. Thank you.
Hi, I bought one from the local dealer for $200 for my BX2660, it took me about an hour to make it compatable to my quick hitch. I filled it with stones and store it on top of a couple 6X6's, it only takes seconds to hook up to. For the price I paid I couldn't be happier.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
You should also consider loaded rear tires. I know a lot of the owners who mow worry about the loaded tires on the lawn, I don't use my BX2370 to mow, but it is on the lawn a lot. Our soil is almost all sand with an inch or two of top soil so it takes very little to disturb the turf. My Honda 4 wheeler is much worse on the lawn then my BX with loaded turf tires. Plus there is no box of rocks looking for a placed to be stored and no extra box hanging on the back end while maneuvering the fel in tight quarters.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Loaded tires help, but weight on the 3 pt. reduces the load on the front axle while keeping the rear tires on the ground.

DJBillT

Equipment
BX2360 FEL 52" Mower 60" Snowblower
May 17, 2015
New York
Hi, I bought one from the local dealer for $200 for my BX2660, it took me about an hour to make it compatable to my quick hitch. I filled it with stones and store it on top of a couple 6X6's, it only takes seconds to hook up to. For the price I paid I couldn't be happier.
Thanks, what was the model # of the one you bought from the local dealer? I asked my dealer, they had no listing. Thanks !

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Loaded tires help, but weight on the 3 pt. reduces the load on the front axle while keeping the rear tires on the ground.
Loaded rear tires also keeps the rear tires on the ground and has the greatest effect on stability by being as low as possible.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The model # for a Kubota Ballast box BX and B series tractors should be: B8160

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I love this part :

"Cost is no object,"

wish I could use that line somewhere!:)

I would build one - a ballast box - total cost would be about 50 bucks.
Top link hole - two links for the bottom and a plywood frame to pour about 8 bags of quikrete into! Pull off the plywood and one 425 lbs box. Weld rebar from top link to lower links and encase all of it in concrete.

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
If you're looking for a water tank type weight for the rear, simply take a used household 20gal. well pump pressure tank, or old-school water tank used to hold water, usually approx. 18" diameter X 3 ft to 4 ft tall, weld couple 7/8" bolts to the opposite sides up from bottom approx. 12"(be sure to cross-drill the bolts 1/4" for pins) for the lift arms, add a bracket up 18" higher in middle for top link, make sure you have a bottom drain plug, and a top threaded plug to fill with water.
This should give you close to 240lbs (based on tank weight of 40 lbs, and 20 gallons water at 10 lbs/gallon.
This is just thinking on-the-fly, could be refined with ideal size tank, even building a square one to hold more water, perhaps 20"X 20"X 30" tall. do the math on this for cubic inches or feet will give you volume capacity. When I referred to the 10 lb./gal., I was thinking Inp. (CDN) gallons, I believe US gal. is close to 8.5 lbs.
-Greg

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
I picked up a widow maker for mine (3-point drawbar) and 4 big round weights of an old JD swather sitting in a fence row. They will slide right off or on and are very heavy. Solved my tipping darn near ever time I used my bucket to move much.

Last edited:

bcuster

Equipment
B2650 w/ cab, FEL, BH, 63" snowblower w/ extensions, grapple, forks, box blade
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
Is your 60" snow blower a front or rear mount unit? If it's rear mounted, there's your "free" counter weight. If it's front mounted, buy a box blade. It works great to pull snow from obstacles you don't want to get near with your snow blower. They are great counter weights and easy to attach/deattach as needed.