BX23 backhoe on B7100?

csim

Equipment
BX23
Dec 31, 2015
arlington, ma
Hi Everyone,

My 2004 BX23MLB HST pump recently went and too many hours on the tractor to justify fixing it. My father lives about two hours away, but has a B7100 (year unknown, but I don't think it's HST drive if that helps). I'm hoping you folks can let me know if the backhoe that came with my BX can be mounted on his older B7100 relatively straightforwardly without custom fabrication?

Thanks very much for your help.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi Everyone,

My 2004 BX23MLB HST pump recently went and too many hours on the tractor to justify fixing it. My father lives about two hours away, but has a B7100 (year unknown, but I don't think it's HST drive if that helps). I'm hoping you folks can let me know if the backhoe that came with my BX can be mounted on his older B7100 relatively straightforwardly without custom fabrication?

Thanks very much for your help.

I am gonna say no.....30 some years between models, not sure all the fabrication in the world could make them mate up. The amount of time and money needed to make all the corrections to the 7100 would be tough.....and I think the BX's hoe might be too much for the 7100 to begin with - don't mean to bust your bubble:)

the fixing the BX might not be as bad as you think.....how many hour are on the tired girl?:)

csim

Equipment
BX23
Dec 31, 2015
arlington, ma
I am gonna say no.....30 some years between models, not sure all the fabrication in the world could make them mate up. The amount of time and money needed to make all the corrections to the 7100 would be tough.....and I think the BX's hoe might be too much for the 7100 to begin with - don't mean to bust your bubble:)

the fixing the BX might not be as bad as you think.....how many hour are on the tired girl?:)
Thanks for letting me know, I figured it was a long shot. The BX has 2300 hours on it. Everything is in good working order besides the HST pump, but there is extreme age/wear/rust due to the fact that it was used on a horse farm (constant wet manure) for over a decade. For example, all of the hydraulic lines are rusted into the HST assembly. I tried to replace the pump myself ($1,700 part). I got the pump free of components and free of the transaxle, slid it forward and ran into a clearance problem in the frame. I need less than an inch more to get it out, but to get that inch requires disassembly of the frame. I learned the proper approach is to remove the whole transaxle which is a major undertaking especially with the tons of rusted/corroded parts. Local repair place estimates about 20 hours to replace it at a total cost of about $4,000, but it could easily exceed that if they run into complications. It's too big of a job for me especially with winter here and no garage. I put about 200 hours on it myself and it's been an amazing tool for my landscaping project. I'm sad to see it go, but my plan was to sell it cheap to someone who is in a better position to take on the project.

I was going to keep the backhoe and try to use it on another tractor. Is there any cross reference available to tell me what models my backhoe attachment is compatible with? I looked a lot at the backhoe and couldn't find a model number on it. I don't know if maybe the previous owner painted over it?

Thanks very much for all of your help/insight on this, I welcome all feedback. Happy New Year!

Last edited:

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
The bx23 was only sold as a TLB(tractor-loader-backhoe). The backhoe was not an option. It is an integral part of the bx23. Just like the bx22, 24 and 25, they are only sold as a complete TLB. The backhoes on these units were not designed to fit any other kubota. Other models of kubota's would not have the sub-frame associated with the TLB to be able to accept the backhoes.

Last edited:

csim

Equipment
BX23
Dec 31, 2015
arlington, ma
The bx23 was only sold as a TLB(tractor-loader-backhoe). The backhoe was not an option. It is an integral part of the bx23. Just like the bx22, 24 and 25, they are only sold as a complete TLB. The backhoes on these units were not designed to fit any other kubota. Other models of kubota's would not have the sub-frame associated with the TLB to be able to accept the backhoes.
Ok, thank you very much for clarifying. One more question on this topic. It sounds like my 2004 BX23 backhoe will fit onto other BX series tractors of the same vintage. That is, it will fit onto a BX24 & BX25 as well from the same timeframe. Any idea over what years my 2004 backhoe will fit? The reason I ask is because I'm seeing used BXxx tractors for sale on craigslist without a backhoe and may purchase one of those to then attach my backhoe to. Thank you.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Should fit BX22/BX23/BX24/BX25 and nothing else (not the BX2200, etc), since the other BX series do not have the subframes to mount the hoe to. That said I haven't tried to put a BX25 hoe on a BX22, or vise versa, so I can't confirm that they'll fit. They look almost identical, however, aside from the valve cover. I too see them on CL from time to time, with no backhoe...but I always question where the backhoe went? Or maybe it was removed the day they got it home, and they forgot about it?

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
When the BX24 came out, they had changed the mounting latches for the backhoe. I believe they even changed the model number from the BT600 to the BT601. Some one with a 24 or 25 can hopefully verify this. Of course a model number change sometimes doesn't mean a lot. It may have been because of the curved dipper stick and not much more.
The 22 came out in 2002, the 23 in 2004 and the 24 in 2006, and of course the 25 is the current model, so there is really no tractors from the same vintage. The backhoe from a 22 may fit a 23 and a backhoe from a 24 may fit a 25, and they may all be interchangable, but I would be very careful buying one without first looking it over very carefully and measuring the mounting points. I too have seen ads where the backhoe is not included with the tractor and wondered where the heck did it go. Since it doesn't fit any other tractor without a lot of fabrication. Unless it got damaged beyond repair and the owner just scrapped it or sold it for parts. Good luck.

Last edited:

csim

Equipment
BX23
Dec 31, 2015
arlington, ma
I had no idea when I first posted this how complex the backhoe attach revisioning would be. This has been very helpful, I appreciate the insight. It sounds like I have a BT600 although I haven't located a model/serial plate on the backhoe...I guess it's just tied to the model/serial of the tractor. Does anyone know definitively if the BT600 attach for a BX23 will fit on the BX24? I heard from Kubota that it won't fit on the BX25.

Thank you all.

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I was hoping a BX24 owner would chime in here but so far no luck. But if it won't fit a 25 I doubt if it will fit a 24.
If I remember right, when the 24 came out the backhoe attachment mounting had changed. The bottom two mounting points I believe were similar. The frame of the backhoe just sits in a couple of fingers that stick out from the tractors under carriage. But, it's the top two mounting points that had changed. On the 22 and 23 there is an automatic latch assembly that hooks onto the top two mounting points. After they automatically latched onto the tractor all you needed to do is stick a hair pin through the actuator so it couldn't back out.
On the 24 and 25 I believe there are removable pins instead of the automatic latch assemblies. Now it may be possible to just put the upper pins in a 24 or 25 and the automatic latching assemblies will latch onto them, but there is no way of knowing that without trying it, or at lease seeing what the upper latch looks like on a 24 or 25. I'm not even sure the width of the mounting points would be the same. If there are any 24 or 25 owners out there hopefully they will read this and chime in and at least confirm what I have stated.