bx1860 starts, catches, dies after a second

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
Hi,

I have a bx1860. I started it tonight, drove it a few feet and then it died. Just before it died I was lowering the front blade, it blew black smoke, rpms dropped and then it stalled. Now it will crank, catch, blow a little black smoke and die. Its cold out here (about 22 F).

Any ideas or suggestions? The thing it sitting in the middle of the driveway dead.

thanks

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Fred - did it run for a while to warm up? Is it parked out of the wind? Do you use an additive in the winter? Since we haven't had much snow yet this season, is the fuel in it from last summer?

Wondering if it gelled. It's been cold and windy since Sunday night, as you know.

I haven't gelled yet, so haven't figured out how to use Diesel 911 yet. Other option is get it warmed up, covered or indoors.

Do you hear the Stop Solenoid click, to make it shut down?

I'm reaching, just throwing out some ideas.

Last edited:

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
thanks for the suggestions. After about 10 trys to get it started, I went inside had a beer and came back out 1/2 hour later and it started.

I had not let it do a proper warm up before. Perhaps that caused the issue somehow? Can you flood a diesel engine?

I do use power service fuel supplement. Should I use something else?

I dont think I heard the stop solenoid but I have had issues with the PTO level position and not starting...perhaps the issue?

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I went inside had a beer and came back out 1/2 later and it started.
Job well done!! You know much stuff I HAVEN'T broken by doing that??:p:eek:

Could be a warm up issue. There's lots of oil and fluids to warm up on our little BX's. Check your fuel filters, too, when weather permits. I hope you let it get it to good operating temperature when you did get it going.

I use Power Service (white bottle) myself. Many do, but others swear by other products.

If the PTO lever were the issue, it would not have fired at all. Rule that out for this instance.

Last edited:

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
Would ISO heat help with water? Do folks use other products?

Also, does anyone do the warm-up in a shed? What do you do about exhaust fumes?