BX1860 Sputtering with Mower Running

JGreenberg

Equipment
BX1860
Aug 28, 2013
Red Deer
First post. I have found similar threads, but nothing with a concrete answer.

Every once in awhile while using the mower (48") the tractor will start to sputter and drop approx 500RPM. I thought it was a heat problem, but guage was really never in the red.

Today it was doing it the worst to date. Once I stopped the PTO, the machine ran fine and was running full RPM consistently.

Seems like a fuel problem, but I am far from an expert. Any suggestions? Some thrown out on earlier posts were fuel conditioner, or replacing a fuel filter.

Thanks.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Yup, change the fuel filter.

JGreenberg

Equipment
BX1860
Aug 28, 2013
Red Deer
Thanks, that's what I figured.

Looking at the operator's manual, is this an easy fix?

Any suggestions on how to get the fuel to stay in the lines or any tools required would be appreciated.

freewheel3

Equipment
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Yes, easy fix. Minimal fuel will be lost. I'm not familiar with your particular model but it probably has a valve that you can shut off to stop the fuel flow from the tank. Generally no special tools are required, possibly a filter wrench if its a spin on filter. Some models don't require any tools at all. If possible, fill the new filter with clean diesel to keep a minimum amount of air in the system. You will probably have to bleed the air out of the system at the injection pump and the injectors after the new filter is installed. Easy stuff.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Your BX has two inline fuel filters, one beneath operators platform between the fuel tank and fuel pump. The other is on left hand side of the engine. There is no fuel shutoff valve, you have to pinch off the fuel line to shut off flow. Replace both filters, turn key to "RUN", let fuel pump run for 15 - 20 seconds, start engine.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Could well be the filter. On mine it also might have been plugged fuel tank cap or even bad fuel pump. I've gone thu all of these. First try a loose cap and the tank however before you add fuel. It will run with a full tank even with the fuel pump power disconnected for a half a tank.

Be prepared for a job with an impact wrench. Factory nut torques are very tight. I had to take of both rear wheels to get at the nuts for the skid plate with the impact wrench. Regular tools would not do it. Order a shut off valve from the Internet suppliers for 8 mm tubing. That can be installed between first filter and the tank. A 1/4" Briggs and Stratton valve may do it if you use a good set of hose clamps.

When remounting the skid plate you also need a tight torque, since that plate seems to do something to the nuts. That orphan nut on the ground comes from there othersise.

JGreenberg

Equipment
BX1860
Aug 28, 2013
Red Deer
Thanks again for the feed back. I am going to start with the filters.

How to you get these clamps in the picture off and then back on?

Attachments

Steamguy

Equipment
BX2370
How to you get these clamps in the picture off and then back on?

Get a pair of slip-joint pliers with good square jaws, and pinch the tabs toward each other. They sort of interlock and allow the clamp to release. While holding the tabs together, slide the clamp well up the hose, then release.

After replacing the filter, replace the clamps with a screw type if you have the space to do so. Otherwise you can just slide the originals back into place if you want. The originals are cheap, they hold well without too much clamping pressure (which you CAN exert with screw clamps) and they last for a very long time.

Hope that helps.

JGreenberg

Equipment
BX1860
Aug 28, 2013
Red Deer
So I changed both fuel filters and finally stopped raining to take it for a spin. Same problems. Would get up to approx 3400 RPM and then dropped in a hurry, took a bit to get going again then would run around 3200 RPM and the cycle continued.

All other filters have been changed within the last 10 hours of use.

I know some said something may have gotten in the tank, but could it be bad fuel as well?

freewheel3

Equipment
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
It still sounds like a fuel starvation thing to me. Possibly there is an intermittent blockage in the tank or suction line or air in the system. Make sure the fuel system is well bled and that all connections are tight. If it was bad fuel it would probably just run like crap steadily, not intermittently, unless maybe its picking up slugs of water. Pull the new filters and drain them into a glass jar and see if there is any water in the bottom of it.