BX1860 Overheating Issue???

MacGyver

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" MMM, 60" Plow
Nov 6, 2010
Ohio
So I bought my BX1860 in November and used it all winter to push snow and fell in love with it. We had a very wet spring here and couldn't really start mowing till the end of May. Late spring and early summer when the temps. were in the high 70's low 80's I noticed my temp gauge getting close to the red when I was mowing (2 acres). After a couple of times, I called my dealer and he said it was not right and to bring it in. They found a bad thermostat, replaced it, but still noticed it was running warmer than usual. They brought it back and it was still getting up to and touching the red. The dealer picked it up again and checked everything this time (t-stat, flushed and inspected radiator, checked water pump impeller) and couldn't find a thing but said it is still running hot (got the engine temp up to high 240's). The service guy said that he expects temps. below 200 and maybe slightly above 200 on very hot days. They said they checked with Kubota and the 1860's are supposed to run a little hot but he still thought 240's were a bit high.

I got the tractor back and mowed the same lawn I did the day before with the loaner they gave me. After 14min I had the temp gauge needle touching the red (engine temp 225 measured with laser IR thermometer). I went to my neighbors yard and mowed and inch off his lawn and had the needle in the red in 5min (engine temp 247). I also noticed a extreme drop in horsepower and hydraulic noise and grittyness.

I called the dealer which has been very cooperative so far and they are sending the Kubota manufacture's rep in a few weeks to see it firsthand.

Is anyone else having this issue with your BX1860's? It is kind off ironic, but my dealer had another BX1860 in the shop the same time as mine for the same issue. BTW, the debris screen has no grass clippings on it; it's as clean as a whistle. Did I buy a lemon or is this common for BX1860's?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't have a BX but when my L 3000 was new I had it getting warmer that I wanted to see. It would get close to the red and I always stopped and gave it a break before it overheated. I changed the engine oil and trans fluid over to Amsoil and never have had any problems with it getting to hot again. My trans/hyd temp lowered up to 70 degrees depending on what I was doing. I never checked the temp of the engine other than watching the guage.

Maybe the Kubota rep will be able to help you out and fix your problem.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Will it cool down to normal if you idle it and if so how long does it take? I would wonder if the cooling system is undersized either the radiator is too small or the fan does not move enough air. Does the fan fit close to the outside of the shroud? How many blade fan is?
Could the radiator be too small because of the bass akwards placement of the engine.
Just a few things to check/consider.

MacGyver

Equipment
Nov 6, 2010
Ohio
Thanks for your input. The radiator and components are the same as the BX2360. My dealer service guy already checked that and were thinking of switching to the BX2360 cooling system if it was larger, but it's the same. If it can handle the 23hp it should be able to handle the 18hp. They kubota said the 18hp is working hard on this tractor and will run hotter, but I think 247 is too hot. I can't even touch my metal hood when it's in the red.

MacGyver

Equipment
Nov 6, 2010
Ohio
I don't have a BX but when my L 3000 was new I had it getting warmer that I wanted to see. It would get close to the red and I always stopped and gave it a break before it overheated. I changed the engine oil and trans fluid over to Amsoil and never have had any problems with it getting to hot again. My trans/hyd temp lowered up to 70 degrees depending on what I was doing. I never checked the temp of the engine other than watching the guage.

Maybe the Kubota rep will be able to help you out and fix your problem.
I know kubota and the dealer recommends the kubota oil and super UDT fluid. Will the amsoil affect any warranties? I'm not familiar with this product. Is it more expensive? Thanks for your help!

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Thanks for your input. The radiator and components are the same as the BX2360. My dealer service guy already checked that and were thinking of switching to the BX2360 cooling system if it was larger, but it's the same. If it can handle the 23hp it should be able to handle the 18hp. They kubota said the 18hp is working hard on this tractor and will run hotter, but I think 247 is too hot. I can't even touch my metal hood when it's in the red.
Assuming the dealer is correct:confused: then there is something wrong with your unit that it should run that hot. Switching oil might help some but there is still something not right. Is the inside of the radiator clean. If you have reduced flow through the radiator then your cooling is greatly reduced. Is your bottom rad hose collapsing?:eek:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
... Will the amsoil affect any warranties? ...
If I would have bought that tractor and it is not working correctly and Kubota will not be able to fix that problem, I would think about the warrantie and give that broken thing back to the dealer, bevor the warrantie is over. Otherwise it will trouble you for the rest of your live...

carl

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I mentioned oil assuming that nothing was wrong with your tractor. Synthetic oil will drop the temp but it's not a mirracle in a bottle. If you really do have problems with it I would have to agree with the others and make Kubota fix the issue then think about what lubricants to use in it.

To answer your question about the warranty issue. As long as the brand lubricants meet man. specs the warranty can not be void. The only way by law any manufacturer can require a person to use a certain lubricant is if no one make a lubricant that meets their specifications or they supply it to you for free. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
Do you know if the dealer did a pressure test? Or is your coolant foaming and lifting the radiator relief cap after shutdown? Has anyone inspected or sampled the oil, and coolant for contaminants? Does your coolant sound, and behave like your favorette carbonated beverage, and release bubbles when cold, and (Opened) de-pressureized? If so, I may have experenced your problem...

I have had a simialar issue with a stationary Generator and the fault was a leaking head gasket. Somehow the exaust, or combustion gasses were passing into the coolant, specifically under load.

We were able to see this in a stationary generator. I guess the same could be done, but how you would load the engine without the coolant sloshing out may be a problem in your application. I dont soppose you have a PTO generator?

1. with the engine OFF, and cold, remove the radiator cap.
2. start the engine, and place it under load.
3. look at the top of the radiator cap, and see if there is gasses, or bubbles coming out of the coolant.
4. with the gasses coming out, the coolant would not have to condense them, and the temperature may behave normally.

MacGyver

Equipment
Nov 6, 2010
Ohio
Thanks for all of your responses and the most recent one about the leaking head gasket. My tractor is at the dealers now for more testing. I have been contacted by Kubota and they said they want to make me happy by fixing the issue. I haven't received any straight answers yet and they don't want to admit any problems yet, but they do see that something is obviously wrong. I will keep you posted of its progress.

MacGyver

Equipment
Nov 6, 2010
Ohio
So I've really got to hand it to my dealer (Sterling Farm Equipment in Sterling, OH). They checked out everything that Kubota asked them to and it checked out okay, but looked like I was still going to have the overheating issue when mowing. Rather than have me deal with the hassle any longer, they took my tractor back and upgraded me to the BX2360 for the difference. I'm really happy how they took care of me!

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
As "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" would say "More POWER" :D

I love it when dealers take care of us.

Good luck with your new toy.....I mean tractor ;)

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
..... they took my tractor back and upgraded me to the BX2360 for the difference. .... they took care of me!
So now the lemon moves down the food-chain and looks for a home
that doesn't hassle the Dealer . Glad you're sorted out , but the
problem will soon be some other person's tractor . I wonder what
the problem they couldn't rectify cheaply , actually was .............
Could have been an engine casting glitch , reducing coolant flow
rate . They'd want rid of that , and Kubota , like many manufacturers ,
don't always do the right thing , or at least here they don't !

Last edited: