BX Tractor Advise

MFL

Equipment
RTVX-1100C,Ingersoll 3012
Mar 11, 2017
Essexville,MI
Hello everyone, 1st time poster. Need some advise on a BX purchase. Looking at a BX1870 to have at my cabin up north. Main use will be cutting lawn, helping with firewood, possible snow removal, yard work. Have pricing from my dealer for $13,330 which includes FEL, 54"MMM, turf tires and grill guard. This also includes 0% financing for 5 years.
Also have my eye on a used unit from Craigslist that is a 2015 with 54 hours that has the same options of my new unit plus LED lights on the ROP, glow plug heater plug, ag tires and rear 3pt bagger attachment for 10k. Looks like the unit is mint.

My plan is to put a front plow on my RTV to plow snow next year so the tractor would just be used for areas that I can't get to with the RTV. The lawn area is only an acre but is very hilly.
What do you think?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK ,,,ALL BX tractors come with a GLOW PLUG HEATER. Your dealer will most times swap out tires and wheels for you with out a problem.
Secondly were it me, and I have and use the snot out of my BX, just get the front blade for it, your RTV I doubt will ever be able to do what the BX will do.
Also see if they will fill your tires, that makes a big difference on hilly stuff.
You have to remember these little tractors, are not lawn mowers cause they aint trust me.
While most will never see anything more than mowing lawns, they will work and work hard and surprise you at every turn.

Now as to the new VS the used, think about this, new you have a warranty, and ins on it should things get ugly, and your out of pocket is an awful lot less, if something goes titsup.

Used, unless your a pretty good wrench or you know the tractor first hand, its the luck of the draw, you might get a good one, maybe not, theres a reason it on CL, think about that.

Last edited:

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
For used, some things to check. At 54hrs, it should have been serviced for the 50hr interval. Ask for receipts for either the parts (like filters), or a service order from a local dealer. If none, then you have to do the servicing, deduct that from the asking price.
Second,- find out why they are selling. I bought my BX25 used, and he was the original new owner (checked where they bought it), and he was moving from an acreage lot to move closer to his daughter in another town. His house was up for sale, so I could verify he was indeed moving.
Finally, if you have a mechanic friend, bring them along to look it over.

Like anything else used, always look for any "red flags". Some may be impossible to spot, but if you feel uncomfortable with the machine, don't buy it. Also, the $10k may be a bit negotiable (and no taxes in some jurisdictions if private sale)...

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Being that i'm on the cheap side for some things, I usually buy used but i'm also careful. With only 54 hrs. it hasn't had much use if you plan on buying it ask if you can have a mechanic friend look at it. Remember your also getting attachments so look over everything carefully top and bottom. I bought one where everything looked ok topside but the driveshaft needed new boots(crappy job), there were only 2 blades left on the hst fan and the mower was totally out of adjustment but it had 1100 hrs. on it so I was expecting some problems. Is there any chance that there might be any remaining warranty on the 2015 ? I would check out the tax rulings as well and you might save a lot of dollars for a machine with only 54 hrs on it. This only my opinion, good luck with your choice.

MFL

Equipment
Mar 11, 2017
Essexville,MI
the new price of $13300 includes michigan tax where as the used at 10K doesn't. The guy is checking how long the warranty is still good for. I figure I could sell the 3pt bagger and recoup even more. They are pretty expensive attachments.
You are correct in the fact buying new is not much up front where as with used you need the cash so that is also a factor.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
the new price of $13300 includes michigan tax where as the used at 10K doesn't. The guy is checking how long the warranty is still good for. I figure I could sell the 3pt bagger and recoup even more. They are pretty expensive attachments.
You are correct in the fact buying new is not much up front where as with used you need the cash so that is also a factor.
I believe the new warranty is for 2 years, so unless the PO bought the extended warranty which can be transferred its got to be expired or nearly so. If you borrow the $10000 for 60 months you will pay 1100-1200 in interest. Even if you have plenty of money it still makes sense to borrow it when its 0.0%. I don't know what the current incentives are but awhile back they were throwing in a 5 year warranty along with the 0.0%. Just me but I would go new.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I chose used over new previously. This time around Im going new.

10,000 in hundreds, while driving 4 hours was an experience.

Going new I get 0% for 84 months. If you can afford 10,000 for used then you can surely afford the 20% required for the 0% for 84. Buying used at an Orange Dealer still requires the KTAC insurance. Buying used from Craigslist skips tax and the Insurance.

Given the hours and inspecting a few spots I was happy with my purchase. After getting it home and hooking up the 3pt quick hitch I took off MMM and left it next to garage for 14 months. A decision that cost me $200 in rebuilding the outer spindles as water got in and ruined them. Once I actually had grass to mow, swapping between MMM and Brush cutter, I bought a Milwaukee 12v grease gun to hit the dozens of zerks on this machine. I ruined the MMM quick connect PTO hub by not double checking that it was fully engaged on mid PTO. Heat melted the plastic housing and I spent $120 rebuilding it.

Once I hit 300 hrs I swapped all fluids. I mean ALL of them. All new filters. I tossed in a new battery as the original was still in it from 2004. I built a homemade cab and installed the alternator upgrade kit, with new belt. I sourced new front tires but haven't mounted them yet. Filled the rears with Rim Gaurd.

The only issues Ive had with my 13 year old B7610 are self inflicted. It only has 330 hrs at the moment but I need a backhoe so Im trading in on a BX25D or new BX23S.

Do you want a minimal payment with Insurance that covers everything or a machine thats paid for and likely will never need any major repairs?

MFL

Equipment
Mar 11, 2017
Essexville,MI
Leaning towards new. I was considering the 2370 also but the more I research I do I think the 1870 is a better fit for me. I have hills and with the little lower center of gravity due to the smaller tires it should be better. I have mowed with a zero turn which had the wheels in the air and a John deere 345 which was good so I expect the 1870 to be as good as the JD as long as the FEL is removed. I could also make some wheel spacers and fill the tires.
Going to see if I can get some comparison pricing from another dealer or dealers in Michigan. I live in Essexville, work in Midland and my cabin is in Houghton lake so even if the dealer is in Northern Michigan it would work. Anyone have a sales contact at a Michigan dealer to try?

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
$3k pay's for a lot of problems...

I would go used for the above reason combined with the fact that at 50 hours it's just broken in; virtually no wear at all. The biggest concern in buying used is service history. You know it's not missed a service because it's just reaching the first mark so you don't even have to worry about what's typically the biggest risk of buying used.

If you don't need the bagger that will be easy to sell. As someone said, that's a pricey option which after selling should make used an even better deal.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Leaning towards new. I was considering the 2370 also but the more I research I do I think the 1870 is a better fit for me. I have hills and with the little lower center of gravity due to the smaller tires it should be better. I have mowed with a zero turn which had the wheels in the air and a John deere 345 which was good so I expect the 1870 to be as good as the JD as long as the FEL is removed. I could also make some wheel spacers and fill the tires.
Going to see if I can get some comparison pricing from another dealer or dealers in Michigan. I live in Essexville, work in Midland and my cabin is in Houghton lake so even if the dealer is in Northern Michigan it would work. Anyone have a sales contact at a Michigan dealer to try?
My man 1970cs works at a Dealership in Michigan, Williams Farm Machinery. Shoot him a PM

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I have a BX on a city lot. I also have had larger tractors, each used more on country wooded places. I'd never go light for a lot in the woods. Instead of new look at used and larger than the BX, especially if it is not used much, only now and then. The BX has just too many limitations in tough areas.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
I too played the new vs used game for a while. In Spro OK there is a guy with a lot of Kubotas. Pricing was good but also real close to getting new. In the end I got a new BX25d-1 TLB. I have really played hard for the first 30 hours. I have resurfaced a 900 foot drive cleared a pond, dug out fence lines now using a post auger and just bought a used rake too. My pond was clean cut by a company with the big grinders and tree pluckers but I had to go back and make it ready for the water. All the mulch and rocks on the bottom as well as the trash we found later.

Point being I am glad I skipped the mower and decided on a rear cutter. I cannot see me ever going with the MMM on my property as it is too hilly. The culverts are steep and the peaks too sharp. I would scalp the tops and miss too much at the bottom. BUT, I can drive up and down the hills fine with the proper weight balance. I will also fill my rear tires soon as it will help more on the hills. I might get another set of rears as with the BH Weighted tires and hills is tough.

These little guys are so capable and I am surprised with each new toy I hook up. Many told me I needed a 40-60 HP tractor but now I am glad I went small. The BH is even easier to store. I use a couple car tire dollies and they easily hold it up and I can push it all around the barn or garage with ease. I am older with a new hip and ease is important. Small means I can use it and move it too. The tractor does everything I need and more.

MFL

Equipment
Mar 11, 2017
Essexville,MI
My dealer came back and said BX2370 no longer available, it would be the BX2380 if I went that way.
He also threw in a 6' back blade and lowered the price $300 on the BX1870. They only have 2 left and when they are gone it is the 80 series and pricing goes up.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
If you will be storing in a garage there may be another consideration. The BX70s will not go through a standard 7' garage door with the ROPS up. I think I read the BX80s will go through a standard garage door with the ROPS up.

MFL

Equipment
Mar 11, 2017
Essexville,MI
Well the guy with the used tractor will not respond to any text or phone calls so looks like he either sold it or is not someone I want to deal with. That leaves buying new and now trying to decide between the BX1870 & BX2380. There is a $2800 dollar difference between the 2 units and I have found my dealer is giving me competitive pricing after checking around. I have searched read all the other posts regarding the same decision with most people recommending the larger machine for the added PTO HP. I don't think it was always $2800 difference though. I think with the change to the new series it is moving the price up.
The added benefits and value to me personally on the BX2380 is the extra capacity of the FEL, seat, and I think resale.
I also have in the back of my mind this machine is more of a luxury instead of a need and should just get the 1870.
Decisions, decisions.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
BX2380 hands down, it a newer design of BX, 80 series, and has some much needed improvements of the 70 series.

EDIT: Are you sure it's a BX2380 and not a BX2370?

Last edited:

MFL

Equipment
Mar 11, 2017
Essexville,MI
Wofman,
He definitely quoted me the BX2380 and mentioned the new model was a reason for the higher pricing. It looks like he is giving me 18% off the 70 series and 15% off the 80 series. (based on list pricing)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
BX2380 !!!!,,if I had the dosh that would be sitting where the 2360 is, not a question in my mind,, just remember this, you have NEVER heard of any one complaining about having to much horse power,, just sayin
Also its not a question of,,, want vs need ,, this is an investment, and 2.8k over the life of the loan at 0% is really chump change in the big picture.
I love the BX series and never let anyone tell you they are a glorified lawn mower, if they were, you wouldnt see them on so many construction sites,,,

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
One thing I just found out today from my dealer is along with the all the new upgrades to the BX 80 comes along a not so good update. That is, as far as I'm concerned. None of the preceding front mount equipment will fit. (ie: front lift, broom, snowblower, blade). That leaves me out. I don't mind trading tractors every once in awhile, and up until now every attachment I had fit right on the new ones, but I'm sure not going to take a hit on my front mounted equipment as well. If you are just starting out with your first BX it is probably the way to go. Just keep in mind that any used front mounted equipment will not be compatible with it, so you will need to buy new. Bummer.