BX tiller on the cheap!

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Ever since I got my BX, I have wanted a tiller, but the cost has been an impediment. Used four footers are EXTEMELY rare in my area, and even a new King Cutter is more than I wanted to invest, and what I REALLY wanted was a reverse tine unit, which meant springing for the $1800+ Land Pride.

Back in late August, I was at the huge Portland (IN) tractor show and swap meet. While walking the rows, I stumbled upon a decent looking four foot tiller in John Deere yellow. Once I inspected it, I realized it was for a JD 400 series garden tractor from the early 80's, and had a tractor specific three point mount, and a fine spline PTO. After looking at all the parts, I realized it was designed to run off the belly mower PTO and had a spate adapter gear box and drive shaft. It would take some work, but I was intrigued, ESPECIALLY when I realized it was reverse tine. The price was $600.00, but the owner offered it for $400.00 if I didn't want the belly mower drive adapter unit . I worked him down to $350.00 and hauled it home.

Mounting it to the Kubota was the simple part. All I had to do is ream out two of the existing lower mounting holes and install three point pins.

After doing some internet research, I discovered the fact that this tiller is meant to be driven off a 2000 RPM PTO. BIG problem. That meant the tiller would barely turn hooked to a standard 540 PTO. While checking gear box on the tiller, I discovered that it slowed down the output shaft on the tiller by 25%. I popped off the side cove on the tiller and found a 30 tooth sprocket connected to a 10 tooth sprocket by a #60 roller chain. a little quick math told me that if I could replace the 30 tooth sprocket with a 20 tooth sprocket, I could get the tiller within 5 RPM of it's design tine speed.

I removed the 30 tooth sprocket, and it had a specific splined hub that would be difficult if not impossible to match, but it was merely welded into a standard off the shelf sprocket. I carefully cut the welds and separated the two parts. A trip to Tractor Supply got me the needed 20 tooth sprocket and a new box of roller chain. I welded the old hub and the new sprocket and reassembled it with the new chain. I had a real problem getting the chain length right. Leave a link out, and you could not assemble it, add a link and it was a sloppy mess. I added a half link which helped, but it was STILL sloppier than seemed right, so I add a smaller idler sprocket. I didn't like the 20 bolts and nuts that held on the side cover, so I welded in bolts to make studs, cutting the cover removal time about 75%. The old gasket was shot, and JD parts for this unit seem to be scarce if not non-existent, so I made a new one out of gasket material. I want to paint the tiller to match the tractor, so since I had the chain drive side apart and clean, I went ahead and painted that part. I greased it all up and installed the cover.

The PTO shaft was several inches too short, and the spline size was wrong, so I went to my local driveline shop and bought a three foot section of the oddball rectangular PTO shaft with a yoke already welded on, a quick connect yoke to fit the standard 1 3/8"-6 spline tractor output shaft and a new u-joint. I assembled the shaft and cut down the shaft to get me the proper slip length.

Ten minutes before having to leave home for a cook out that turned out to be a surprise 50th birthday party for me (a week early) I fired the unit up. Everything went fine, so the next day I started tilling dirt. In just a short time, I have already tilled close to an acre of dirt, both fill dirt and virgin hard packed clay. I'm not going to tell you it works as will as an $1800.00 Land Pride, but it does work plenty good enough for me. It's a little light, so it wants to bounce in really hard dirt, but digs in and goes, and is very easy for the tractor to handle. Over the winter, it will get painted, and I need to make a cart to move it around, but for a total investment of $545.00, I'm VERY happy with it.

Attachments

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
The forward tine rotation tillers try to push the tractor and the reverse tine ones try to pull the tractor.

Reverse tine in my opinion do a better job digging into the soil.

I have forward rotating tine walk behind tiller I use some and when it hits a hard spot it runs from you:)

The reverse just digs in deeper.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice conversion! I keep looking for a similar deal, but no luck so far.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Great ingenuity Bob. Well done.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
this tiller is meant to be driven off a 2000 RPM PTO. BIG problem. That meant the tiller would barely turn hooked to a standard 540 PTO. While checking gear box on the tiller, I discovered that it slowed down the output shaft on the tiller by 25%. I popped off the side cove on the tiller and found a 30 tooth sprocket connected to a 10 tooth sprocket by a #60 roller chain. a little quick math told me that if I could replace the 30 tooth sprocket with a 20 tooth sprocket, I could get the tiller within 5 RPM of it's design tine speed.

I removed the 30 tooth sprocket, and it had a specific splined hub that would be difficult if not impossible to match, but it was merely welded into a standard off the shelf sprocket. I carefully cut the welds and separated the two parts. A trip to Tractor Supply got me the needed 20 tooth sprocket and a new box of roller chain. I welded the old hub and the new sprocket and reassembled it with the new chain.
Nice job Bob, I love to see ingenuity at work to adapt things to suit. Only thing, I'm generally good with maths, but maybe I'm reading this wrong, or you have omitted some detail, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

2000/540 = 3.7
So when you adjust the speed, you need to increase by a factor of 3.7 times to correct for the different input speed.

Therefore the correct teeth change would be
10:30 (teeth ratio) 10/30 x 3.7 = 1.23 which equals your chain drive requirement to correct to original speed.
1.23 = a ratio of 16:13 teeth (16 top, 13 bottom)

You have changed from 10:30 to 10:20 which is an increase of 1.5, still a long way from 3.7
(10/20)/(10/30) = 1.5

3.7/1.5 = 2.46
You need to speed it up 2.46 times to get to it's original design speed.

10:20 * 2.46 = 1.23

So unless I'm seeing it all incorrectly (quite possible) you need to change your sprocket ratio to 1.23:1 or approx 16 teeth top, 13 teeth bottom.
If my maths is correct, and your provided figures are correct, I believe this would bring it up to its designed speed and increase it's output dramatically.

EDIT: I have re-read you post numerous times, maybe now I understand? Are you saying the adapter box "that you didn't get" slowed the 2000 rpm shaft down to 25% to 500 rpm? So in fact this was designed to run at 500 rpm, not 2000 rpm? And now you have changed from 500 at 10:30 = 166.6 and you now run it at 540 at 10:20 = 250 rpm?
Or is it just the gearbox on the tiller dropping the input shaft down by 25%, which actually doesn't need to be factored in to any equation as it's a standard?
YMMV

Last edited:

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Sorry about that. You are correct, I left a step out. The gearbox that I didn't use brought the PTO input speed down to 800 RPM, so I only had to make up the difference between 800 and 540. If I can find the sheet I did all the math on, I will post the numbers. Bottom line is that with the factory Deere setup, the RPMs at the tines was something like 197 RPM. My setup got it to like 195.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Ahhh! Big difference. So it's designed to run at 800, not 2000, all good, 800/540 = 1.48 speed increase required
(10:20)/(10:30) = 1.5
PERFECT!

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I believe 840 RPM was the actual number after looking at some notes I made. Nonetheless, going from 10-30 tooth sprocket (.333) drive ratio to a 10-20 (.50) drive ratio put me right where I wanted to be. As to why the tiller right angle gearbox has .666 ratio, I guess we would have to ask the JD engineer. :confused:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Interesting tensioner. I wonder how it does under load with sudden load changes.
Tensioners I built or use have a idler either fixed and regularly adjusted or a pivot and spring/hydraulic to maintain tension, all on the unloaded side.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Bringing up an old post - I have the option to buy a JD 48” wide mechanical tiller from a jd 318 garden tractor and then learned these are 2000 rpm units. Then I found this post, my late model b7100hst has a 2 speed rear PTO, 540 and 850, so could I run this using the 850 setting? If Diesel Bob is around Can you tell me if the gear box converting the 2000 to 800 was part of the tiller or not?
Anyone else looked into this?