BX questions

Kubota Christian

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD
Jun 7, 2017
OH-IO
1) Is the BX series category One or Zero on the 3PH? Also, the rear tires on B7100 are bigger than the BX series. 2) Do you have to stay in the B series to keep the same tire size? What kills me is that these BXs are decked out with every single thing you could ever need, even have more HP than the old B7100s, but have smaller tires. 3) Are the BX engines more similar to riding mower motors or the 3 cylinder diesels of old? From what I can tell a BX would be perfect later on once the lot has become all grass, but in taming this wild overgrowth stage I think I need bigger tires because of the old tractor ruts and super-small tree trunks all over the place. 4) Is there an ideal time to Buy when you get the best deals? You know how they talk about buying a car when the old model year gets incentives, anything like that when buying a tractor?

Last edited:

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
1) BX 3PH is cat 1.

2) Don't know about the B series tires, but yes, they're very small on the BX. The major advantage (apart from cheaper tires) is a lower center of gravity, but that of course also means less ground clearance. And as you surmise, many users (including myself) use a BX as their primary mower.

3) I don't believe there's anything inferior about the BX diesels compared to older or bigger Kubota motors. The same engines are used in variety of commercial applications.

4) Not sure on this one.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't think Kubota make anything with a category "0" hitch. If it didn't have category 1 hitch is was simply a lawnmower without any hitch. Lugbolt is that incorrect?

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I sold my B7610 ( 33" rears ) for a BX23S ( 26" rears ). No complaints here. I do not use any ground engaging implements. Just MMM and rotary cutter in addition to loader and hoe.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The only complaint I have with my BX is the poor 3 point level control. If you don't have a need for 3 point implements and are happy with the BX size it does fine. Most of us BX users are moving up from a wheelbarrow and a shovel anyway so a BX is great.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
The BX is a sub-compact, so it's a downsized footprint, both weight & dimensions. These little machines can work, just have to be a little more "tactical" about it, vs using brute force.

Rough ground is certainly an important consideration as it relates to tire size. The little BX tires find every ripple!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The BX is a real tractor in a small footprint - it's strong enough to handle anything it has enough power to do. So your main concern is really whether it's big enough for the work you want to do.

If your aim is to tame some wild, and eventually make it lawn, and you're buying one tractor for both, then I'd get a BX and just go slowly until things smooth out. Yeah, it'll pitch around a bit on the ruts, but the amount of pitching is related to how fast you're going.

The alternative is a B2301 or B2601. Larger tyres may meet your needs more. They're a bigger tractor, with a bit heavier duty components, but similar power. My maths says they're about 10% heavier and bigger, but generally lift/drive about 30-50% more.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
I've had my BX for 3 years now... and I love it. I have a relatively small yard, and I maintain a "Green Space" behind my house for the local kids to play in. As said above... they will WORK hard for you. It has saved my back, and my neighbor's backs more times than I can count. I use it mostly for mowing... but with the FEL on, I've excavated small a plot for a playground, Ripped out shrubs, and moved dirt and gravel.

To answer your questions directly...

1) CAT 1. BUT, since it's close to the ground, you still have to think about the equipment. (or mod things to work) I'm guessing this is reflecting on your tire question.

2) The small tires is why we buy them. People looking at the BX need a small footprint, and low clearance. My BX is only 48" wide, and just last Saturday, I helped a neighbor move a load of gravel from the front of his house, to the back yard (for a shed foundation) and I had to drive through his side gate. (A bigger tractor would have needed to remove part of the fence)

3) the engine in the BX is the current 3 cyl diesel that Kubota makes. They are strong, and even my lowly BX1870 can grind 3 foot tall grass with it's MMM without bogging. (I mowed some over growth recently) Yes, a brush hog would have been better... but I don't own one. LOL

4) Unlike cars... I have found that the beginning of the season is the best time to buy. Kubota runs the best deals. When I got mine... they were running 60 mo 0%, a $1500 rebate on the BX, and a $700 credit if you bought 2 implements. Also... the dealer still was willing to "Deal" on the base price. Your local dealer my work on the price... but the Kubota offers aren't there at the end of the season. FYI... I got my BX1870 for $12k with a 48" MMM, and FEL.

Hope that helps.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Also, if you're price sensitive consider the 70 series rather than 80 series. The 70 is basically the same machine, but I believe a fair bit cheaper. The 80 is the newest and bestest, but is in strong demand. I wouldn't expect to see great deals on it until all those who must have it right now have been satisfied.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Also, if you're price sensitive consider the 70 series rather than 80 series. The 70 is basically the same machine, but I believe a fair bit cheaper. The 80 is the newest and bestest, but is in strong demand. I wouldn't expect to see great deals on it until all those who must have it right now have been satisfied.
Exactly the reason I wanted a 60 series vs. the 70 when both were available. Also, the 60 had a MUCH shorter ROPS than the 70.

Guys say the 80 ROPS is shorter than the 70, designed to get into a standard 9x7 overhead door.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I am completely happy with my 1870. That being said, I think Kubota realized the ROP's height was a mistake and corrected it on the XX80's. Still, if there is a deal to be found right now, it will be on a leftover XX70.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
1) at least the newer BX tractors (I know the 70 series) has a full Cat1, I think some of the older ones had a limited Cat1. Every implement I've tried works fine, however my post hole digger does catch on some bumps, as It won't lift up quite high enough to get ground clearance. I just strap it up if I need to move it too far.

2)Yep need to go to the B for larger wheels, but also a larger price tag.

3) Don't know about the engines but the BX is a tractor, not just a mower. Sure it is a little tractor but I have yet to find something it can't do, and usually the limiting factor for work I can get done is loader capacity. I don't have a lot of tractor experence before I got my BX, but have used my uncles John Deer (90s vintage similar to the modern 2 series) and my Bx is much more like it than any lawn mower I've been arround.

4)I've seen deals offered a lot. I got a 72 month 0% finance with 10% down (tractor and implements) I've seen this a lot of times. I also have seen a implement rebate (right now it looks like the BX is not included). When I was looking it seemed similar deals came out almost every other month. It might be worth seeing if you can get a deal on a 70 series, being the 80 series is out. There is not a lot of difference, I almost was upset I missed the 80 but when I looked at the specs the new loader is the only real improvement in my mind.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I've got a BX 2370, excellent condition, 50 hours, under warranty till mid September, FEL and 54" MMM with mulching kit. I'll let it go for 12K. C'mon down and get it!

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
I went from a B8200 to a BX23S. The B8200 could lift a little bit more with the FEL but I do like my BX better...just hope it lasts as long as my 86' B did!

My 23S has a Tiller, Post Hole Digger, Sprayer, and Spreader in addition to the factory FEL and Backhoe. The ground engaging implements work just fine. I don't mow with it, have a zero turn for that so can't comment on how it mows.
Will be getting the Combo Bucket, Ballast Box, and Front Mount Snow Blower for it eventually.

Al T

Equipment
BX2350v,Quick hitch(most tools),chipper,Aerator,FEL,snowblower,bagger,sprayer
Mar 10, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
A few winters back, neighbors long gravel driveway was iced up and a 3 ton furniture delivery truck could not make it back up the hill. I hooked up my BX2350 - equipped with snow blower and chains front and back - dropped into 4wd low range, and slowly pulled him up the 100 yds of ice. Would have made a great pic! As others have said, the BX series are big tractors pretending to be a small ones ...