bx oil issue

HiFiDave

Equipment
bx2360
Jan 31, 2019
Monee,Illinois
Hi Tinker and everyone else,

Tthis morning went out and checked oil. No smell of diesel fuel.

Tractor is level..dipstick is 1/4" below full mark.

Heading out to buy some 5w-40 T6 oil.

Will update asap.

Good advise about "overthinking" Tinker.......I am guilty of that many times.

Thanks again to all. I am glad I am not out here alone.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't have those extreme temps to deal with but I use 5w30 synthetic year round. It has a pour point of -53F.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The spin on oil filter accepts oil from the engine via the outer holes which are just inside the circular gasket. If the oil was so cold in the filter (probably colder than the engine) it may be that the oil pump pushed that congealed oil with sufficient pressure to cause a filter gasket leak (although that is a very rare occurrence. This usually causes the canister to burst, but a quality filter will leak before it bursts.)
You might remove the filter and examine the gasket to see if it's split or unseated.
A sump heater will help avoid that problem...and I'm hoping that is what happened to you....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The spin on oil filter accepts oil from the engine via the outer holes which are just inside the circular gasket. If the oil was so cold in the filter (probably colder than the engine) it may be that the oil pump pushed that congealed oil with sufficient pressure to cause a filter gasket leak (although that is a very rare occurrence. This usually causes the canister to burst, but a quality filter will leak before it bursts.)
You might remove the filter and examine the gasket to see if it's split or unseated.
A sump heater will help avoid that problem...and I'm hoping that is what happened to you....
Everything gets stiff in this weather except me......:eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I don't have those extreme temps to deal with but I use 5w30 synthetic year round. It has a pour point of -53F.
For those of us that don't put enough hours on our tractors to make it necessary to change the oil more often than once a year, why NOT do as Bulldog does and just run year round with 5w30 or 5w40 if they live in a cold climate? Both of the owner's manuals for my relatively new tractors specify 10w30 for all temps, and 15w40 only down to 14F, so why would they not recommend a 5w for tractors in the cold???? Is there a down side to the 5 w/ oils that I haven't picked up on that pertains to the newer tier 4 engines?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
For those of us that don't put enough hours on our tractors to make it necessary to change the oil more often than once a year, why NOT do as Bulldog does and just run year round with 5w30 or 5w40 if they live in a cold climate? Both of the owner's manuals for my relatively new tractors specify 10w30 for all temps, and 15w40 only down to 14F, so why would they not recommend a 5w for tractors in the cold???? Is there a down side to the 5 w/ oils that I haven't picked up on that pertains to the newer tier 4 engines?

Sheep,

the weight of the oil has little to do with the DPF systems(tier 4) - however the chemical makeup OF the oil is the part that makes bad things happen.;)

In a very "simple" nutshell - diesel has sulfur in it, when burned incompletely produces "soot" - which will clog up a particulate filter quickly.

Lubricating oil has sulfur in it too - (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, Sulphur) - a small amount of engine oil gets burned too as the diesel burns, a wee bit - so the engine oil burning can clog the screens too.

Diesels and diesel oil both have to have the SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, Sulphur) reduced to the point of almost none to keep the screen clean for a long time!

We have the diesel fuel somewhat under control - most if not all of us use ULSD ultra low sulfur diesel - which is 15 ppm.

Engine oils that are used in diesels with TIER 4 diesels MUST have the SAPS cut way back too. CJ4 oils are specific oils geared towards diesels with DPF systems.

Not to add more to the story, but here is Kubota's take on engine oil to use:

For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 nonroad
exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all
applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils
with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or
drain interval. CJ-4 oils are especially effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters
and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning,
particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low- and high-temperature stability, soot handling properties,
oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4
with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories.
When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.

HTH

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hokie -

Thanks for the education on the chemical characteristics, but what about 5w versus 10w as sheep questions?

Personally I see no issue, but honestly that's just good 'ol redneck guessin'.

The multi-viscosity 5w/10w difference only comes into play in the cold. Come July and an 80 degree cold start, does the 5w product act any differently than the 10w?

I'll have to see if I can find a viscosity vs. temperature graph....

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I was wondering about the other changes in engine design that have occurred along with adding the dpf filters...one of mine is common rail direct inject, the other not, and no regen.
B2650. No clue about the oil flow in the engines. You can contaminate the oil with diesel if you interrupt a regen in those models, so maybe it would thin it out too much. Could be Kubota just recommends what they think is the simplest.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hokie -

Thanks for the education on the chemical characteristics, but what about 5w versus 10w as sheep questions?

Personally I see no issue, but honestly that's just good 'ol redneck guessin'.

The multi-viscosity 5w/10w difference only comes into play in the cold. Come July and an 80 degree cold start, does the 5w product act any differently than the 10w?

I'll have to see if I can find a viscosity vs. temperature graph....
You are correct......on the cold

the 5 is a less viscous oil - thus the colder the better it will flow - my point was the viscosity of oil really has no correlation to the tier 4 engines and what not. The "stuff" in the oil or rather the stuff NOT in the oil was the point I was making.

If we were talking about cars/trucks - the lower viscosity would benefit gas mileage - but I dont think any of us care for the diesel mileage or diesel per hour burned.

However - those that are starting a diesel tractor in temperatures so cold that spit freezes before it hit the ground......that 5 will help the engine turn over mo' better and thus save a little battery and cuss words !:D;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
why NOT do as Bulldog does and just run year round with 5w30 or 5w40 if they live in a cold climate? Both of the owner's manuals for my relatively new tractors specify 10w30 for all temps, and 15w40 only down to 14F, so why would they not recommend a 5w for tractors in the cold???? Is there a down side to the 5 w/ oils that I haven't picked up on that pertains to the newer tier 4 engines?
my point was the viscosity of oil really has no correlation to the tier 4 engines and what not. The "stuff" in the oil or rather the stuff NOT in the oil was the point I was making.
Sheep - I completely agree with Hokie's analysis about the oils and their relation, or more correctly lack thereof, to newer fuel or emission systems.

Could be Kubota just recommends what they think is the simplest.
Maybe Kubota does just try to keep it simple. That is a valid theory to make life easy on the end-user.

The idea with multi-vis engine oils are they're not supposed to get thick when cold, but act thicker/"clingy" when hot, so they still effectively lubricate...(This is my redneck understanding. :p)

So, on February 2, 2019 when it's -6F outside, my tractor will spin easier when starting, since I use 5w-40 synthetic. But the manual says 10w-30...

Conversely, in July more the important viscosity attribute is the "hot" viscosity..again, I use 5w-40. The manual says 10w-30.

Given the Kubota synthetic SUDT2 hydraulic fluid, I believe Kubota is well-versed with synthetic technologies. However, given their tractors are sold world-wide, maybe their motor oil recommendations have not kept pace? Maybe synthetic motor oils are not available everywhere, so they stick with grades that can be found throughout the market area?!? Not sure, just speculation..

All that said, I don't believe 5w-40 is injurious compared to the recommended 10w-30, especially in an area with WIDE temperature extremes like you or I see at home.

Several years ago, I blew snow at -8F in February and mowed at 92F in July. 100 degree difference within 6 months....My daughter in California sees temperature extremes of 40-80...heck, straight 30 might work there....

FOOTNOTE: Someone on OTT mentioned Rotella has a 0w-40 Arctic. I would NOT recommend 0w. My truck uses 0w-20, and the noises/clatter upon start-up are scary....too thin in my opinion, but it's what's specified....

Last edited:

HiFiDave

Equipment
bx2360
Jan 31, 2019
Monee,Illinois
All is well.

I drained the 15w-40 T5 no antifreeze at initial drain.
The oil did not smell of diesel.
Replaced oil filter (OEM)
Refilled crankcase with T6. 5w-40 Rotella.

She fired right up no problems. I let it run about 15min and shut it off. Checked oil level after 15 min. with tractor level.

Once again thank you one and all. Maybe I can help someone in the near future.

Enjoy the Superbowl game!!!!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Great news, glad to hear all is well.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Enjoy the Superbowl game!!!!
That interception sealed the results of that game! I was prepared to actually feel sorry for Tom... but enjoyed the long struggle. Both teams are clearly champions. Good, sportsmanship behavior on both and good refereeing also.

Back to oil: While it may make rednekk-sense to choose an oil viscosity other than those recommended by the mfr'r…. it can also come back to bite you in unexpected ways. I can remember when GM/Buick V6 engines specified 10W30 oil but my buddy had a bunch of 10W40 he wanted to use up. No problem until the engine warmed up and the "40" apparently starved the distributor-bearing oil-gallery and sheared the camshaft. The GM dealer knew immediately when the wrecker brought it into the shop. It was expressly forbidden to use anything other than 10W30 in service letters, etc.

As for Kubota taking the easy-road expecting world-wide oil supplies to be simplified ….the company is more sophisticated than that supposed.
Kubota diligently offers a simple re-print of manuals based upon destination of their equipment. Few manuals distributed worldwide are printed in dual-language versions and it's a simple matter to not offer oils not germane to the destination-market. (Canadian manuals excepted which are oft printed in English/French.)