BX Mid mower deck belt tension

Toml

Sep 27, 2015
Westport, Ma. USA
The manual for my BX-2370 mid mower deck recommends loosening the drive belt during winter storage. Anyone out there have any recommendation as to how to do this? I can probably remove the belt at the idler pulley but not sure if there's a better way. The spring tension is awful strong on the idler when the belt is in place.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I couldn't find anything in my (2105 BX 60") deck manual about releasing tension on the belt for storage. I've never done that on any of my decks.

But if you want to, the easiest way would be to unhook the spring on the idler pulley.

Toml

Sep 27, 2015
Westport, Ma. USA
Thanks Mike, thought of that but I don't have the right tool to unhook the spring which is under pretty high tension. My manual didn't have any hints either even though it recommended loosening it for storage. I latched a pair of vise grips on one end but could not budge it. No big deal but the belt looks pretty expensive if I have to replace it.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Pry or jack the idler till you can remove the belt. Just leave the spring connected, and you'll have less to worry about, in the spring, so to speak...:D:D

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
My book for my bx 2200 says to slacken the belt for storage I never do and have no issues. I changed my belt last spring (been on since 2001) I thought I was never going to get that belt back on that spring is stout took a clamp and an 6 ft cheater bar to get it back on. My opinion I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I agree I have never done it on any of my mower decks, and over the last 15 years I think I have only replaced one belt,maybe I was just lucky I dont know

Toml

Sep 27, 2015
Westport, Ma. USA
Thanks all, the belt is pretty hefty for the double grooved pulleys. Maybe it will hold up if I leave it alone. It also looks like I would have to remove the PTO gearbox if I had to replace the belt. The manual doesn't give any clues to that either. I suppose I might look for a service manual if there is one for the 2370 and accessories.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Never done it and never will too danged much trouble.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Never done it and never will too danged much trouble.
If you have the same deck as me (I have Bx2370 with 60" drive-over), you would not need to remove the gearbox to change belt. You just remove a bracket.

Attachments

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
If you have the same deck as me (I have Bx2370 with 60" drive-over), you would not need to remove the gearbox to change belt. You just remove a bracket.
I think you meant that for Tom, very helpful though.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
The manual for my BX-2370 mid mower deck recommends loosening the drive belt during winter storage. Anyone out there have any recommendation as to how to do this? I can probably remove the belt at the idler pulley but not sure if there's a better way. The spring tension is awful strong on the idler when the belt is in place.
Tom,

I have the 54" MMM on my BX2350. I have Never released the belt tension in the 7 years I have had it. No problems, still original belt. I wouldn't worry about leaving it along for storage.

Dave

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I release mine every fall. I use a block of wood and a crowbar to jack the idler pulley enough to get the belt off the left blade drive pulley. . Sometimes it's easy, other times it's a pain, but I still do it.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
My BX mower manual also says nothing about this. My mower is 5 years old and I never fooled with belt tension. Of the two other mowers I have had with blue tractors, no loosing in winter was ever done and no problems. No such advice ever came with lawn mowers with belts.

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I use a ratchet strap as a small come-a-long. Hook one end to the idle pulley, and the other end to something solid on the deck. Then tighten it until you can get the belt off. JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU RELEASE THE RATCHET STRAP. Keep all your fingers out of the way of the idler when it snaps back. Repeat the process to put the belt back on. But I am with the majority here. I have never released the tension for storage. Just when I had to replace a pulley that had come loose and wore out the bolt holes.