Bx fyi

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
Well I had to remove my instrument cluster from my 2014 BX 25 again. I removed it before because of the glass coming off and found the corroded contacts (see my other posts). Anyway because I used old silicone, it didn't hold, so I had to redo it. No more corrosion noted as I put lots of dielectric grease. But while the silicone was setting in the instrument panel (I had it indoors) we had another dumping of snow. So I went to see if it would run without instruments. And what do you know, it worked. I knew I had a full tank and I kept the RPMs down and I knew where the glow plug power setting was on the keyswitch so it started and ran like normal. I was thinking later and realized that the digital hour meter and it's memory is in the instrument cluster, so this time, for about 20 minutes of running, I was off the clock.

Now. I wouldn't want to do this on purpose cause the hour meter let's me know when I should to service, but this of you who rent or can rent a BX this may help keep the hours down. Just reach up underneath and pull the harness off.

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Don't use regular silicone to reseal it, it won't hold a seal in the temp changes as it will become to hard.
Use either lexel (clear aquarium sealer) it's silicone but better, or better yet urethane (black windshield adhesive).

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Regular clear silicone is not anywhere near my shop. Its virtually useless at any automotive level. My gun has ultra black silicone, tough and adhesive when applied properly.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Regular clear silicone is not anywhere near my shop. Its virtually useless at any automotive level. My gun has ultra black silicone, tough and adhesive when applied properly.
Yea I use Ultra Black and Ultra blue all the time, the blue is really good at aluminum to steel connections! :D

And being a contractor, I won't use silicone an any building project, it'a always something much better.

Danmd

Equipment
B2601 + 15 implements
Feb 6, 2017
Huntley,Illinois,usa
Sikaflex 255fc will hold the dash glass best. It's expensive everywhere you look on the internet, but it can be bought for about $12 a 10.5 ounce tube, free shipping from Prevost parts.com 1-800-621-5519. FC stands for fast cure.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
There is one thing silicone is good for tho. This is exhaust joint sealer, particularly big trucks with flex tube. Where the band clamp goes over the to pipes fill with hi temp silicone and assemble. After allowing it to set it will keep it sealed. Silicone does not burn so the pipes have to rust out or the flex quits flexing and breaks so you can start over.

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
I first use some old silicone and it had separated. I knew it wasn't going to last. Went with the ultra black for the proper repair. Just found it interesting that it would run without the dash connected.

user4211

Mar 23, 2016
Crawfordsville,In
Now. I wouldn't want to do this on purpose cause the hour meter let's me know when I should to service, but this of you who rent or can rent a BX this may help keep the hours down. Just reach up underneath and pull the harness off.

We know when customers pull our hour meter wires. There are really cool tricks of the trade we use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk