BX front tire pressure

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I have the front tires on my BX2230 set to the standard 22 PSI, but notice the front tires are pretty squirrelly with a fully loaded bucket. Is there any harm in increasing the front tire pressure a few pounds to make the tractor more stable while using the bucket?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I honestly never looked in my operator's or workshop manual, but I run the fronts on my BX2360 at 40 or so..

Maybe it's not good, but it works for me..

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I know that proper tire pressure is pretty important for mowing heights (a pound or two low on my Grasshopper makes a HUGE difference) but other than maybe increased tire wear, I can't see how it would hurt, but thought I should run it by the experts.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bob - don't take me as an expert. It works for me. I think the tire says 65 PSI max??

BX tractors have issues with losing pressure on the front tires. My left front did. Probably bad bead seal.

After a while, I "slimed" it. No issues since, but I do run them at a high PSI because of the work I do with the loader.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
The turf tires are unstable do to the sidewall ply! Which what assume we are talking about? The R4's are way better for traction and loader work but little aggressive on the turf.

Run them high pressure if it helps the feel. Just remember to lower them in loose conditions for better traction.

Pat

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I have the front tires on my BX2230 set to the standard 22 PSI, but notice the front tires are pretty squirrelly with a fully loaded bucket. Is there any harm in increasing the front tire pressure a few pounds to make the tractor more stable while using the bucket?
My dealer recommended 30 psi on my BX fronts for loader work.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Are you using any kind of rear ballast on your 3pt while doing bucket work to offset the bucket weight? This will help take some of the weight off the front axle.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I do a lot of heavy rock moving with my BX1860 and I found that loading the front tires with water and adding 30 pounds of air pressure helps a lot with stability. My back tires are also loaded with water but I have just 18 pounds of air in them. The water was just to experiment with how the tires acted. I plan to drain the water and replace it with windshield washer fluid (the -20 degree protected stuff) before cold weather sets in. I already bought the necessary amount of fluid, I just need the time to do the job.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I do a lot of heavy rock moving with my BX1860 and I found that loading the front tires with water and adding 30 pounds of air pressure helps a lot with stability. My back tires are also loaded with water but I have just 18 pounds of air in them. The water was just to experiment with how the tires acted. I plan to drain the water and replace it with windshield washer fluid (the -20 degree protected stuff) before cold weather sets in. I already bought the necessary amount of fluid, I just need the time to do the job.
questions:
Does that little bit of water weight even help?
How do you get the washer fluid in them?
How much fluid for all 4 tires? I have a bx25

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
questions:
Does that little bit of water weight even help?
How do you get the washer fluid in them?
How much fluid for all 4 tires? I have a bx25
Q: Does that little bit of water weight even help?

A: Yes, the water weight in the rear is about 125 pounds total for the rear. That is figuring about 15 gallons total water at 8.34 pounds per gallon. The water in the front is negligible, I don't remember how much is in the front ones. If I remember correctly it is less than 2 gallons per tire in the front. The benefit I get from loading the front tires is less tire compression when carrying heavy loads in the FEL.

Q: How do you get the washer fluid in them?

A: I plan to use a garden hose with a filler attachment that I bought from TSC for this purpose.

Q: How much fluid for all 4 tires? I have a bx25[/QUOTE]

A: I bought 24 gallons for this job. It should not take that much for my tractor. I don't know what size tires your tractor has but I suspect that yours are the same size as what my neighbor has on his BX2350. I figured that it would take about 30 gallons to fill my neighbor's tractor so that is what I would guess for yours, if you have the same size tires as the BX 2350.