bx 3pt hitch

cmoan

Equipment
BX25
Feb 28, 2011
Coventry,RI
Does anyone know how much the 3pt hitch will lift? I want to move an 8x12 shed using a 3pt hitch boom. Shed is wood, I want to screw eyes into floor inside, stick boom in door and lift just enough to move. Think it will work?

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
And a better desciption of the shed, but I can tell you right now if you tried to lift my 10 x 12 shed with a BX, you would need about 1200lbs on the front to keep it from doing a wheelie.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Jack the shed up with a floor jack stick four pieces on 4 inch pvc pipe under the shed and roll it anywhere you want to go. As the shed rolls off one pipe grab one from the back and move it to the front. Your tractor WILL NOT pick up a shed by the 3pt hitch!

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
The BX25 hat a capacity of 670lbs (300kg), It's weight is ~1540lbs (700kg).

Regarding the shed is made out of wood and has only 8x12 sqrft, I would guess you are lucky and it will work, that it will become movable. And as you said, you don't think about to lift the whole shed! Give it a try. Maybe it will move, maybe not, but maybe it will brake together because of all that shaking around...

Good Luck

carl

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
BAD BAD BAD BAD IDEA!!! Do no try and lift your shed with the 3pt hitch of your tractor. The 8x12 shed built from wood with walls siding a door a roof and shingles will weigh in around 1500 to 2000 pounds. You're not going to move that kind of weight with the three point hitch. You wont find eye bolts to screw into the floor sturdy enough to lift and hold the shed anyway!

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...There is no way you'll be able to lift it.
It's not about lifting, it's about moving. And if the shed is just a simple box without windows and a simple roof it could work, depending on the stress the structure can take. It is not a big box with 8x12 sqrft, when the wood is not to thick and the walls are made with OSB, it should even be able to lift it at one side by hand. But we all don't know, what kind of shed it is, so let cmoan report his decision/result... ;)

carl

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well I am not about to sit here and tell a man its perfectly safe to lift and move his shed with a tractor when I know damn good and well it wont happen and doing so can break the tractor in half and or seriously injure or kill a person. I own a tractor and have built shed's for a living and its just not going to happen moving a shed like that. The only safe way is like I mentioned before, jack the shed up take four or fives pieces of 4 inch PVC pipe and roll the shed around where you need it to go.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
OK Eric, let's sit down, drink a beer and see what will cmoan do. Maybe the shed will brake apart, maybe his traktor won't move at all, maybe he fire's up the shed to heat us at night. :) Let's see...

carl

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I move a 7 by 8 temp shed with my forks on the 3 pt. It has no floor and is a simple 2x4 construction draped with plastic. I use it in the winter to keep my firewood dry. I can really feel the weight of it and my tractor is almost twice the size (weight) and has almost twice the lifting capacity of a BX25. I agree it's not a safe idea and someone could get hurt. It's all about having all the weight so far behind the 3ph!

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Dont Do It!!! Never use a tool for something it is not designed. your tractor is a tool but, NOT for that!

Jack it up, use the pipe idea and it'll move.

You have a responsibility to your family and other tractor owners to prove were not a bunch of nuts with tractors that will take chances with your/their lives.

my two cents, kytim

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Wow, and I thought always, that the germans have the most need to be over-insured. :rolleyes:
As long somebody is carefully operating his equipment he is not nut's.
If I would imagine a box 2,4m x 3,0m and 2,0m high, made out of OSB and some extra 10x10 cm rods at the corners, maybe the hole box would weight 500kg. I guess less. And comparing it to some fresh sawed tree's in the forest with the same weight, I have moved sometimes with a small traktor, I don't see the problem. When the box is stable enough and is not moved/pulled with high speed, maybe 1 km/h, so what?

It's much more risky to drive a car than most other things in life...

Most of the time when something is danger, the person is not thinking! :(

Until now, me and my friends have done a lot of job's, and the reason that we are still alive and kicking is not, that we are born on sunday's...

But everybody lives in his own world, so make your own decision. :cool:

Have fun

carl

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well lets see theres 4 people saying its a bad idea to move a shed with a tractor on here and only one fellow saying "oh yeah sure its fine give it a shot and see what happens" Seeing how we havent heard a peep out of the individual who posted the question lets hope they have not already since tried and are now in the hospital!

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
As long we all have no really clue about the job that was written about in the first place, we all have only our individual picture in our head. You 4 guy's see yourself dying and I am not so negativ, have fun in the sun and see myself pulling and pushing the shed around the place.
I allway's thought that americans see the possibilities and the germans see the risk. But hey, times changing. :p

Let wait for cmoan

carl

ps. I am climbing on steal structures up and down. Handle heavy Radar-antennas and gearboxes in 100m hight. The wind is allway's challanging. I have seen guy's loosing their fingers, some where hanging in their safty equipment, needed to be rescued, because they were not thinking our didn't took their time. And others don't got the job because they were to affraid, to risky to work with them.
What I want to say is, maybe we all have a different backround and react regarding our own history different. ;)

cmoan

Equipment
BX25
Feb 28, 2011
Coventry,RI
I think the pipe idea may be best and most conservative. I may try to lift it just to see if it will do it but estimates on shed are even close and lifting cap. discussed earlier is close. There is no chance it will lift it.
This was my first post and I appreciate all the input. Thank You All. BE SAFE !

TGReaper

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 28, 2010
Canada
If the previous posters 670 lb. rating is correct it would not be possible .This rating would be at the hitch approximatly 2 ft from the pivots, if your boom is out 8 ft from the pivots you would be lucky to be able to apply 175 lbs.,of lift at the boom end.
I would expect rollers or skids would be a much more practical and safer idea.
Dan

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I forgot to ask 2 important questions:

How far are you moving the shed?
How flat is the ground?

bx1500

Equipment
BX1500, TILLER AND FEL
Jan 28, 2010
WISCONSIN
I moved a 4' by 8' wooden shed with with my bx1500. I put the loader
bucket thru the door opening lifted it up and moved it. The loader is
only rated at 400lbs. I think you should be able to lift one end with a
boom and drag it. As long as it won't fall apart on you.