BX 23S Speed Change Rod

LukyNumbrKevin

Equipment
2018 BX23s (TLB w/ a mower deck)
May 17, 2018
CT, USA
Hello All, first off thank you in advance for taking time to read this post.

So I was mowing the lawn this morning when all of the sudden the throttle peddle got very mushy and reverse went out completely. When I went to investigate I found that the 5/16" nut and lock washer was missing to hold the speed change rod (F02300 SPEED CHANGE ROD) tight to the tranny ARM, HST Trunnion (K2581-42410).

So I know what the issue is, my problem is that the space between the frame and the oil filter is so tight, it looks like I might need to remove that oil filter to access this bolt. Is this true, does anyone have any ideas how to tackle this, because it is an incredibly difficult area to fit my hand into.

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
This makes me wonder how far one should go to tighten up nuts and bolts on these after they're new and you've put a few dozen hours on them. How do you know what to check?

As far as how to get your washer and nut back on, the previous post sounds right. You'll have to get creative with a wire or whatever to get it up there and hold it in place while you tighten the bolt.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
First, it is an 8mm nut, not 5/16". I always use a nylock nut as a replacement.
Removing the hydraulic filter does help as does removing the "Undercover" if you have one. While laying under the tractor, you can reach one hand over the frame in front of the tire and access the tie rod end while placing the nut with two fingers or needle nose pliers from underneath. It may take a couple tries to get the right combination as you probably will drop the nut once or twice. I have replaced this nut on probably 20 some units, takes a little patience.

LukyNumbrKevin

Equipment
2018 BX23s (TLB w/ a mower deck)
May 17, 2018
CT, USA
Thanks for the assistance guys, unfortunatly I am not trained in welding yet so I had to figure out another route. White-tiger, the nut was actually a 5/16", I looked it up on the Kubota Online Parts Diagrams before heading to the hardware store as my local Dealer was closed for the day.

I went to the hardware store found some needle nose vise grips along with a 1/2" wrench that has the ratchet built right into the circle head so it was super low profile. I held the bolt with the vise grips and slowly ratcheted the nut tight with the 1" space I had left to work in.

2 hours later and she's all fixed up good as new. THANKS for the assistance guys.

HAPPY TRACTORING!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"... the nut was actually a 5/16", I looked it up on the Kubota Online Parts Diagrams before heading to the hardware store..."

That's an interesting point. I don't ever remember seeing an SAE nut on a Kubota tractor, always metric!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Whitetiger is right. Althought it is, in fact, a 5/16-24 nut. I've done a ton of these as well and recently the parts department ran out of the nut it calls for, so I had to run across the street to the hardware store to get a 5/16-24 nut-and it fits perfectly.

Yes...if you can, pick up a lock nut for it. Stays on better.

And...if you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to the dealer. Most dealers who have done these love them; as the job pays really good, and it should be a warrantable repair.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
"... the nut was actually a 5/16", I looked it up on the Kubota Online Parts Diagrams before heading to the hardware store..."

That's an interesting point. I don't ever remember seeing an SAE nut on a Kubota tractor, always metric!
I guess I have never looked it up in parts, on a BX it is listed as 5/16".
On other Kubota equipment, the nuts on the tierods are 8mm. Also 8mm and 5/16" diameter and thread pitch are so close that the 8mm lock nut will screw on a 5/16" bolt.
Typically, the only SAE hardware on Kubota equipment are the wheel bolts or lug nuts.

Last edited by a moderator: