Bx 2370 delivered today and locking diff question

Hefty

Apr 7, 2015
Fleetwood, nc
My bx 2370 was delivered today. So far great! I am a tractor "virgin" and spent about 3 hours dressing up my driveway with my new land pride box blade after 5 inches of rain last Sunday. My wife and neighbor were quite impressed with the results (as was I!).

During my work (pretty hilly driveway) I got in a bind a couple of times and lost traction and tried to engage the locking differential. I'm not positive but it didn't seem like the locking diff engaged. I got out of the bind pretty easily by just raising the box blade.

I've since read that the locking diff should be used only in very dicey situations. I'm ok with that and frankly didn't have to use it but wanted to see what it would do. My confusion is from a couple of posts I've read. One said the wheels needed to be spinning and another said they absolutely should not be spinning when trying to engage the locking diff. Which is correct and how can I tell if the locking diff is working? I really didn't hear anything and couldn't tell any difference, but maybe it was locked and I didn't know it?

Also the guy who delivered the tractor gave me blank stare when I asked him about the break in period. During my usage today I made it a point to alter throttle speed, go in and out of 4wd, but is there anything I should or shouldn't do during the first 50 hours? I know the owners manual says don't operate at full speed, but is that full Rpms or full ground speed?

You guys are great! Any feedback is appreciated.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Welcome Hefty to the orange world.

The locking dif should be engaged when the wheels are not moving.
It will only stay engaged when you are holding it.
And you want to keep it going strait as the rears are locks.

You may want to use 4wd to help.
You do not need to switch it on/off for break-in.

The break-in speed is the engine rpms.
About 75-80%.
I varied the rpms as well.
Hope this answers your questions.

Ray

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
I use mine in 4wd all the time. Tried 2 wd to cut grass and got stuck. Put I. 4 wd and fine to cut grass on lawn. Run at about 2000 rpms for normal usage. Use the differential lock as little as possible. Usually I get stuck plowing or tilling with tractor. Used a couple times clearing snow here in ky.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
If you are at a stop and try engaging the diff lock, most likely nothing will happen as the mesh needs to be in the precise place for it to just fall in.

I put light pressure on the diff lock foot switch and very slowly press on the foward pedal. You will feel the diff lock foot lever fall into place and then you can stand on the foward pedal if you wish because at that point its fully meshed and engaged. As long as you don't hammer the foward/reverse while standing on the diff lock before it engages you won't cause any damage.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
FYI,
The dif lock is only if one wheel is spinning and you need a boost.
If neither wheel is spinning it will not help you go.
Lifting the box was the out

Ray

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
FYI,
The dif lock is only if one wheel is spinning and you need a boost.
If neither wheel is spinning it will not help you go.
Lifting the box was the out

Ray
Ray,

use your 4wd as often as you want !!! Do not be afraid to engage and disengage it often (once stopped - and sometimes you need to straighten the wheels and get a little "gas" to make it go in and out) - make sure the surface you are on allows for slippage - in other words I would not use it on asphalt nor concrete unless it is a unusual situation. The diffy lock will help with the rear ONLY........ you really never have 4 wheel drive - rather 3 wheel drive - and in that case - in a straight line. The front end can never be "locked" - but if you have all three spinning then best change the load the angle or use the bucket to get you unstuck! :D:)

I use 4wd drive a lot - 75% of the time, hills and hills and slick spots........4wd is hard on grass turning sharply.....but allows you to go where you point it!:)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I bought two used tractors in the past, each with the diff lock not working. If you look at a shop manual of the gear system, you will see it is a straight fit, not like a typical tranny gear engagement. The former owners of those tractors made the mistake of trying to engage when a wheel was spinning. When in a tight situation it's tough to avoid doing the wrong thing, especially if you need three feet.