BX 2200 Can't engage rear wheels with lever

JoeKR

Equipment
mowing hauling loading, snowblowing
Sep 9, 2016
Victor NY
Hello
I've had my 2003 BX 2200 for 2 years. No major problems till this summer.
When I was going up a small hill I noticed the rear wheels were no longer driving or pulling and all the work was being done by the front wheels.
Unable to shift into 2 wheel drive.

The only thing that I know of that could be related is that this summer I was mowing down the S shaped driveway and instead of pulling the mower deck lift handle, I accidently pulled the transmission lever into neutral from the turtles pace while still moving and rolled down the rest of the driveway.
I was able to drive back up and thought nothing more about it till the above happened.

Help and suggestions needed.

Thanks

Joe

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
Are you saying that if you move the drive lever from 4 wheel to 2 wheel you don't move at all, or you can't move the lever to engage 2 wheel only?

I know on my BX, sometimes the lever to go from 2 to 4 wheel drive and back again wont move until I move the tractor just a few inches. Must be something with gears lining up.

Since I'm new to these tractors, I'm interested in hearing the solution as well.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
While going up a hill it will look like the front wheels are doing all the work because they are turning faster than the rear and actually digging the dirt. On flat ground, go fwd about 3 feet, stop , pull up on the 2-4 wheel lever with light pressure while backing up. The lever should come back into 2wd position after several feet.

JoeKR

Equipment
Sep 9, 2016
Victor NY
Getting back to my tractor problem--
I just tried the suggestions again thinking I was mistaken in my previous efforts.
I can not shift the tractor back into 2 wheel drive no matter how much I rock the tractor--It will go into 4 wheel drive with only the front wheels grabbing -- the back wheels turn but have no power

JoeKR

Equipment
Sep 9, 2016
Victor NY
Thanks for you response.
Getting back to my tractor problem--
I am not able shift the lever into 2 wheel (or rear wheel drive) only. The tractor will move with the front wheels driving only in the 4 wheel drive position
Rocking the tractor will not engage the 2 wheel drive position although it used to.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I could copy two figures from my Workshop manual. It would appear tome that you have a major problem in the gear box. If you could get figures show on pages 2-M11 and 2M12 you would see the gearing has provision to get power to the front axle from the same shaft that transmits power to the differential (rear axle) via a bevel gear. If nothing happens with power getting to the rear axle, I suspect the bevel gear is stripped or has lost its connection to the shaft. If that happens, yes the front axle gets power but none to the rear end. Power comes in from upper left in
fig 2. That is without front engaged.
Fig 3 shows front drive engaged.

I'll send shots of these sections next.

Last edited: