Buying soon

Planepal

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 26, 2023
Clarkdale AZ
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Kubota. I have two places in Northern AZ, 2 acres and 1.5 acres. I’m looking at a BX23S at a dealer in Prescot, AZ. It comes with the backhoe, front loader, small box blade, manual grabber claw for the backhoe and a TU 60 trailer which has two axles, brakes and is 16 feet long with a GVWR of 6000 lbs. The total price with all the taxes and fees is $31,500. The price for the tractor is about $2,000 below MSRP and the trailer is $5,000. I’m maxed out on my towing vehicle which is a 2021 Jeep Gladiator with a tow rating of 5000 lbs. I would like to go with the next bigger model but I think this unit will do all I need to do. Digging up cactus and small stumps, digging holes for a line of 20 schrubs and grading a quarter mile dirt driveway Occasionally. I was hoping for some feedback from a few people with the same unit. I rented an older Kubota B2150 and I really enjoyed it. It seemed to have enough power. I grew up on a farm 40 years ago and I miss running farm equipment. I used to joke that I was still a heavy equipment operator as I was an airline pilot for over 20 years LOL. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Planepal/Paul

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You're in the right size category for your tasks and property size. A B2601 would be nice, but if you're weight limited for towing (and frequently towing between properties) then that may be all you can do.

An option would be B2601 without a backhoe. Probably about the same or a bit less weight, probably about the same or a bit less money. Give up the backhoe, but a bit more power and capability for the non-backhoe tasks.

Which leads to the inevitable discussion about whether you really need a backhoe. The only backhoe task you describe is digging stumps, and a stump grinder may be better, depending on the property.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Which leads to the inevitable discussion about whether you really need a backhoe.
1699735899761.png

Sounds like a nice machine.

I absolutely love my backhoe.

I probably am approaching "even time" when it come to "BH vs. Tractor'n " seat time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The BX is a real workhorse.
Unfortunately I don't consider a jeep pickup a tow vehicle unless your hauling a lawn tractor.
I do watch Motor Trend. Of all the trucks tested jeep was dead last in every category.
If you upgrade your tow vehicle then any model is on the table.
Just a thought.

Planepal

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 26, 2023
Clarkdale AZ
Unfortunately I don't consider a jeep pickup a tow vehicle unless your hauling a lawn tractor.
I do watch Motor Trend. Of all the trucks tested jeep was dead last in every category.
Just a thought.
I know. I had a Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel but sold it two years ago. I think I can tow it with the Jeep okay as long as I’m not in a hurry. My friend has a Ram 2500 that can help me out occasionally. I shouldn’t have to tow it but once or twice a year.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Kubota. I have two places in Northern AZ, 2 acres and 1.5 acres. I’m looking at a BX23S at a dealer in Prescot, AZ. It comes with the backhoe, front loader, small box blade, manual grabber claw for the backhoe and a TU 60 trailer which has two axles, brakes and is 16 feet long with a GVWR of 6000 lbs. The total price with all the taxes and fees is $31,500. The price for the tractor is about $2,000 below MSRP and the trailer is $5,000. I’m maxed out on my towing vehicle which is a 2021 Jeep Gladiator with a tow rating of 5000 lbs. I would like to go with the next bigger model but I think this unit will do all I need to do. Digging up cactus and small stumps, digging holes for a line of 20 schrubs and grading a quarter mile dirt driveway Occasionally. I was hoping for some feedback from a few people with the same unit. I rented an older Kubota B2150 and I really enjoyed it. It seemed to have enough power. I grew up on a farm 40 years ago and I miss running farm equipment. I used to joke that I was still a heavy equipment operator as I was an airline pilot for over 20 years LOL. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Planepal/Paul
Good day. I have several properties, 4hrs away and in process of buying a third (in contract as we text)…anyway I haul between properties regularly. For me close to 25% of the miles on my truck are towing a trailer based on when I remember to push the tow / haul button.

Anyway I don’t have much thought on your machine without more info…I guess I would probably lean towards a B sized TLB with the FOPS straight from Kubota, but I like a BX too…to me that sort of depends on your expectations for what front loader will lift or what you want to dig..maybe think about that.

Now regarding a trailer, depending on how far and how often you tow/haul I’d question what trailer you are getting for 5k. Maybe it’s fine for your needs. My thought is a 16’ trailer with all you ordered is probably pretty full and very limited in terms of getting you home from the dealer with much room to spare. Personally if planning to go very far or very often I’d think about more trailer and most likely some different features that you might value with regular use. What’s the overall length of machine you are buying with loader/bucket and BH? Then Will you even want to bring any other implements with you? How about a large tool box (gang box) Which implements? Ever plan to have a brush hog? Do you have a foot or two extra either direction so you can get proper tongue weight? Depending on highway use and speed limit, what speed ratings are the tires? How about the ramps? The fold down MaXX ramps with heavy springs are money well spent as you age. Then if planning to use regular I would not buy a trailer that did not have extra tool box’s for chains and binders, etc. I’d do a deck over for ease of everything including loading from the side if you ever plan to haul stuff on pallets or depending on how you plan to load your implements. To me a deck over makes things ver easy to load…tilt deck would also be a consideration. If planning to use a lot I’d want to make loading unloading as easily as possible.

So for me for a trailer, I’d be think about frequency of use and how to make easy as well as what is correct length for what I plan to haul.

I am not sure what the trailer in your package is or isnt, but usually when I have seen those packages, the trailer is sort of low end side of features and capability and stuffed over the rating, cheap tires (if going far at highway speeds it’s a consideration) to get you home in one trip. Again I am not sure what your trailer package is, but I’d be thinking about tires for the weight and speed ratings, frequency of use and how you want to load (deck over) and total trailer capacity (length and weight) and buy just one time. I am not sure that helps or not? 🥃

Reactions: 1 user

Planepal

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 26, 2023
Clarkdale AZ
I know. I had a Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel but sold it two years ago. I think I can tow it with the Jeep okay as long as I’m not in a hurry. My friend has a Ram 2500 that can help me out occasionally. I shouldn’t have to tow it but once or twice a year.
Yeah it’s a 3/4 scale pickup.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sounds like a “decent” deal. If you have to have a BH and a Jeep to pull, it’s probably the right package. The $5k for a 6k GVWR tailer seems a little high. At a minimum,that trailer should be 7k GVWR with two axels, most smaller dual axel trailers have 3500 lb axels. I wouldn’t sweat the 16’ deck length. That’s what I have and I can haul my L, with FEL/bucket (hanging over the 5’ tongue a bit and a brush hog hanging off the back a bit.

If you ditch the Jeep, a B2601 with a BH might be better for you, probably a little more $.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've owned my BX23S for 5 years, have 1130+ hrs on it and as long as you're not in a hurry, it'll do all that you ask, and more.It digs trenches, mixes compost,move rocks and boulders,push brush back into the woods, dig small ponds, muck out stalls, does that and more for my neighbours. At 70, I'm not in a hurry and enjoy helping the neighbours get their project going. I did buy pallet forks for it, and they work great. About 50/50 ..them or the bucket.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
How far are you towing, or what is the distance between your properties? Any long steep grades? I own a Jeep Glad Mojave with the 3.6 Pentastar. I wouldn't hesitate towing the tractor and trailer that you mentioned if it was only twice a year, and less than say 100 miles. Without any steep grades. But in truth I've never towed with my Glad. I have a Ford Super Duty for towing.

I think your biggest downfall will be your Glad's hitch weight with that tractor. A headlights facing the sky type dealio.

It sounds like a cool package deal. I would usually recommend bigger than a BX. But for your property size and work intentions, it sounds like more tractor than you'll ever need.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Makes sense.
I have a trailer ect and my tractor never leaves my property.
Same. I bought brand new this last August. I hauled some rock in, twice. I got it if I need it👍

A Load Leveling system can be found pretty cheap. I pull with a 2004 v6 Toyota TRD Quad cab, no problem. On hills, I'll get there eventually!!

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Just a thought.
Good info.

If Motor Trend included the following categories, the Jeep would be first. Or actually, The Only One:

>Convertible, WITH removable doors AND a foldable windshield.
>Solid front axle for unmatched durability and off-road articulation
>Hose out interior
>Uniqueness

And heck, it's a Jeep. It'ii be worth more, for longer.

I've seen the reliability ratings have been low on the Jeep Gladiator. Biased a bit. But what they don't say is that those poor reliability rates are ALMOST ALL with the stick shift models. And the diesel models. The gasoline 3.6 V6 with automatic transmission is up there with the Toyota Taco in reliability.

I'm a Jeep guy so, so take all that a grain of salt, and a shot of whiskey from my Jeep glass.

Since 1941. There's Only One.

Cheers

Last edited:

Planepal

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 26, 2023
Clarkdale AZ
Good info.

If Motor Trend included the following categories, the Jeep would be first. Or actually, The Only One:

>Convertible, WITH removable doors AND a foldable windshield.
>Solid front axle for unmatched durability and off-road articulation
>Hose out interior
>Uniqueness

And heck, it's a Jeep. It'ii be worth more, for longer.

I've seen the reliability ratings have been low on the Jeep Gladiator. Biased a bit. But what they don't say is that those poor reliability rates are ALMOST ALL with the stick shift models. And the diesel models. The gasoline 3.6 V6 with automatic transmission is up there with the Toyota Taco in reliability.

I'm a Jeep guy so, so take all that a grain of salt, and a shot of whiskey from my Jeep glass.

Since 1941. There's Only One.

Cheers
I love my Gladiator. I also have a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon with the trusty 4.0 straight 6. The V6 has waaaay more power but the 4.0 jas great low end tor for the trails. I bought that Baxter Performance oil filter upgrade to eliminate the dry st
How far are you towing, or what is the distance between your properties? Any long steep grades? I own a Jeep Glad Mojave with the 3.6 Pentastar. I wouldn't hesitate towing the tractor and trailer that you mentioned if it was only twice a year, and less than say 100 miles. Without any steep grades. But in truth I've never towed with my Glad. I have a Ford Super Duty for towing.

I think your biggest downfall will be your Glad's hitch weight with that tractor. A headlights facing the sky type dealio.

It sounds like a cool package deal. I would usually recommend bigger than a BX. But for your property size and work intentions, it sounds like more tractor than you'll ever need.
It’s only about 60 miles to my mountain property but there are some really steep hills. I have one friend with a heavy duty 18 foot trailer and my best friend has a Ram 2500 and he offered to tow it there which should only be once or twice a year. I wish the 2601 had a package deal with a backhoe like the BX23S but it’s a $10,000 option. I think the BX23S will work fine for me. Since I’m not buying a trailer now, I may get a post hole digger Instead.

Planepal

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 26, 2023
Clarkdale AZ
I love my Gladiator. I also have a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon with the trusty 4.0 straight 6. The V6 has waaaay more power but the 4.0 has great low end torque for the trails. I bought that Baxter Performance oil filter assembly upgrade to eliminate the dry start issue On the 3.6 Pentastar.

It’s only about 60 miles to my mountain property but there are some really steep hills. I have one friend with a heavy duty 18 foot trailer and my best friend has a Ram 2500 and he offered to tow it there which should only be once or twice a year. I wish the 2601 had a package deal with a backhoe like the BX23S but it’s a $10,000 option. I think the BX23S will work fine for me. Since I’m not buying a trailer now, I may get a post hole digger Instead.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I love my Gladiator. I also have a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon with the trusty 4.0 straight 6. The V6 has waaaay more power but the 4.0 jas great low end tor for the trails. I bought that Baxter Performance oil filter upgrade to eliminate the dry st

The B26 is the B model with integrated backhoe, sort of similar to the BX23s. But way more robust, and actually quite a different machine than the base B2601. It doesn't really matter how they package it, the question is what it costs for a B2601 with backhoe v's BX23s. I'd expect it to be quite a bit more money - like $5-10k more. But a lot more capable too.

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
The BX should be enough for your needs. Having a backhoe is really handy!!
I agree with others that $5K seems a little high for a 6K trailer. I just picked up an 18' RICE trailer this weekend. It's a 7x18 10K Car Hauler and it was $5350. The 18' 7K version is $4490... 7K Car Hauler, the 16' is $4450.

They are nice trailers.

IMG_0188.jpg

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Planepal, you should be fine with the BX23 for your property and what you want to do. The only reason that you would need something bigger is if you are in a huge rush to get the work done and have a tight deadline. Take your time and enjoy the fun of operating your tractor, and it will give you the results you need. You will find on here, that there is some that will insist that you need to buy whatever model they bought, which you don’t need for your situation. I would also recommend that you separate the trailer purchase from the tractor purchase. Look around at other trailer dealers, look for a clean, good condition used one. You should be able to buy one for less money than 5k.

Planepal

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 26, 2023
Clarkdale AZ
Planepal, you should be fine with the BX23 for your property and what you want to do. The only reason that you would need something bigger is if you are in a huge rush to get the work done and have a tight deadline. Take your time and enjoy the fun of operating your tractor, and it will give you the results you need. You will find on here, that there is some that will insist that you need to buy whatever model they bought, which you don’t need for your situation. I would also recommend that you separate the trailer purchase from the tractor purchase. Look around at other trailer dealers, look for a clean, good condition used one. You should be able to buy one for less money than 5k.
Thanks BAP. Good info.

Planepal

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 26, 2023
Clarkdale AZ
I've owned my BX23S for 5 years, have 1130+ hrs on it and as long as you're not in a hurry, it'll do all that you ask, and more.It digs trenches, mixes compost,move rocks and boulders,push brush back into the woods, dig small ponds, muck out stalls, does that and more for my neighbours. At 70, I'm not in a hurry and enjoy helping the neighbours get their project going. I did buy pallet forks for it, and they work great. About 50/50 ..them or the bucket.
Thanks. Great info. One of my mottos is “the Ox slow but the earth is patient “.