Buying New | KX-040 vs. KX-033 | Compact Excavator

Which Kubota Mini-Ex would you suggest for my needs?

• KX-040

• KX-033

Results are only viewable after voting.

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
Hello everyone,

As the thread title says - I'm bringing home one of these two machines brand new this spring. Does anyone have any experience with either machine? Both machines? The 6-way blade on the 040 is attractive but the 033 has a non-DOC/DPF Tier 4 engine which I like. Avoiding the DP filter and associated emissions equipment would be an advantage, no? Or should I just get the most machine I can afford and hope the emissions stuff isn't too much of a headache once the warranty is long gone? I have about 200' of french drain to put in, two armor stone sets of stairs (back and front of house), small retaining walls, general landscaping/gardening ... paths throughout maintained grassy areas as well as about 5,000 feet of roadway through the untouched back-40 of my 50 acre property. I don't plan on having this all done fast ... just pick away at it.

I'm a few years out from this, but, I would love to eventually pick up a used tow rig and trailer and do small jobs to supplement my income. Would my desire to do this sway your machine recommendations?

Thanks everyone!!

James

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have a KX040, I purchased last year, enclosed cab, 4 way blade, hydraulic thumb, quick attach mount. I love this machine, I do a certain amount of drain type work but a lot more woodland work, digging out roots and similar. I would not worry about the DPF stuff, I have several tractors with DPF and have had no issues.

I find the 040 is compact enough to get to whereever I need to work but is man enough to do anything I need to do. I purchased the biggest model I could tow with my 3500 GMC diesel and gooseneck equipment tilt trailer. The 040 is only a little larger (15-20% ?) and heavier than the 033.

I was not too worried about the 6 way blade as my excavator is not my main machine to grade with, the 4 way is needed to fill trenches etc.

Kubota KX 040 Aug 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
I have a KX040, I purchased last year, enclosed cab, 4 way blade, hydraulic thumb, quick attach mount. I love this machine, I do a certain amount of drain type work but a lot more woodland work, digging out roots and similar. I would not worry about the DPF stuff, I have several tractors with DPF and have had no issues.

I find the 040 is compact enough to get to whereever I need to work but is man enough to do anything I need to do. I purchased the biggest model I could tow with my 3500 GMC diesel and gooseneck equipment tilt trailer. The 040 is only a little larger (15-20% ?) and heavier than the 033.

I was not too worried about the 6 way blade as my excavator is not the machine to grade with, the 4 way is needed to fill trenches etc.
A great testimonial - and a beautiful machine! Thank you! I'm glad to hear that your KX-040 performs well in the woods as this is likely where my mini-ex will live for the first summer. I've got a pretty nice piece of untouched land - and I can't do a darn thing with it until I get a road put in. What's the fuel consumption like with your 040?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
The 040 seems to do well on fuel, I don’t have any stats but I work it for many half days before putting fuel in it. I see you are Ontario based, the cab is real nice for working on cold / humid days. Make sure you buy with the thumb and quick attach. I mainly run mine with a rake as per photo, or a ripper. I have 2 buckets the 24” bucket makes big holes very quickly! I’ve not mounted the 12” bucket yet.

I have over 300 acres to play on, there is always work to be done. If I can be of more help let me know.

Last edited:

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
The 040 seems to do well on fuel, I don’t have any stats but I work it for many half days before putting fuel in it. I see you are Ontario based, the cab is real nice for working on cold / humid days. Make sure you buy with the thumb and quick attach. I mainly run mine with a rake as per photo, or a ripper. I have 2 buckets the 24” bucket makes big holes very quickly!

I have over 300 acres to play on, there is always work to be done. If I can be of more help let me know.
I already made the mistake of buying a tractor with no cab (BX25D - great little tractor but clearing snow sucks) - the mini-ex will absolutely be a cab model. Whatever I buy - I'll be getting the quick coupler, 24" bucket, thumb, radio, hydraulic coupler kit, 36" hydraulic tilt-ditch bucket with cut edge and a 12" bucket so I can leave the backhoe on the BX alone and never look back haha. 300 acres - so nice!! Whatever I decide, I'll post back here as I go through the process. Cheers, James.

Last edited: