buying decison B vs. LX

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin
new to the forum. On the verge of pulling trigger on my 1st orange machine. replacing mid-50's ford 600 and 800 series tractors to improve reliability. primary use of the tractor is moving snow off long gravel driveway and general maint. of our 5 acre propretry ( spreading gravel, mving dirt, turning compost, tree maint, etc.). Will not be doing any mowing. 3 questions :

1. considering a new purchase of either a LX2610-SU or B2601 . Will I regret the extra weight ( LX is 264 pounds or 17% heavier than B) ; or ground clearance (LX has 2.6 additional inches or 22% over the B)??

2. On either new purchase, I'd get a 54" FEL bucket, ballast box and R4 tires. Do you think I'll be able to move heavy snow with this set-up. might I also need to add beet juice to the tires? add chains?

2. There is a used 1989 L2850 with FEL and a scaper box in the area. owner is a landscper and is asking $13k for the past couple of months and seems rigid on price. Its in OK shape but that seems overpriced. any comments on actual street price of something like that?

Thx for looking.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'd consider the difference in price and availability first.

LX will have a bit better ground clearance, more lift and I'd suggest you go with the 60" bucket for sure. Add an inexpensive rear blade (or 3pth blower) and you'll have a snow moving machine.

Now, it looks like you're in the heavy snow belt...maybe you'd wind up with a front blower? If so, you'd need that mid PTO. If you're ok with a rear mounted 3 pt blower, you'd be fine. If you really need chains, don't forget to option some rear wheel spacers too.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
new to the forum. On the verge of pulling trigger on my 1st orange machine. replacing mid-50's ford 600 and 800 series tractors to improve reliability. primary use of the tractor is moving snow off long gravel driveway and general maint. of our 5 acre propretry ( spreading gravel, mving dirt, turning compost, tree maint, etc.). Will not be doing any mowing. 3 questions :

1. considering a new purchase of either a LX2610-SU or B2601 . Will I regret the extra weight ( LX is 264 pounds or 17% heavier than B) ; or ground clearance (LX has 2.6 additional inches or 22% over the B)??

2. On either new purchase, I'd get a 54" FEL bucket, ballast box and R4 tires. Do you think I'll be able to move heavy snow with this set-up. might I also need to add beet juice to the tires? add chains?

2. There is a used 1989 L2850 with FEL and a scaper box in the area. owner is a landscper and is asking $13k for the past couple of months and seems rigid on price. Its in OK shape but that seems overpriced. any comments on actual street price of something like that?

Thx for looking.
I have a B2910 Kubota. If I were you, and did not need a mid PTO, I would also consider an L2501.

Just my thoughts...I think the L2501 is more tractor and price is somewhat similar, and with tractors, weight is everything if you are not traveling over a pristine lawn.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
"Boy, I wish I bought a smaller tractor" - SAID NOBODY EVER!

Just kidding, but seriously you hear all the time I wish my tractor was a little bigger. VERY rare that you hear smaller.

Go sit on each of them. The lift capacity alone would move me to the LX from the B.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I mow with the L4240HSTC and do not regret having the weight or ground clearance. I do regret going through 4 tractors over nearly 30 years till getting a machine that feels adequate.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Thx for looking.
Serious snow work with front blade or FEL will require chains. Liquid ballast will help a bit, the ballast box will help considerably, but chains will help enormously (except on paved surfaces using a good front blade where they will be counterproductive).

Increased ground clearance and weight are nearly always considered benefits.

Though you currently have no plans to mow, I would not buy a tractor of the size that you are considering without a mid PTO. Things change. Besides, you may find that you would like to operate a front mounted snow blower.

Regardless of which model you buy, be prepared that neither will do as much work as a decent Ford 6**, let alone an 8**, except, perhaps, snow removal projects.

SDT

Last edited:

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Serious snow work with front blade or FEL will require chains. Liquid ballast will help a bit, the ballast box will help considerably, but chains will help enormously (except on paved surfaces using a good front blade where they will be counterproductive.

Increased ground clearance and weight are nearly always considered benefits.

Though you currently have no plans to mow, I would not buy a tractor of the size that you are considering without a mid PTO. Things change. Besides, you may find that you would like to operate a front mounted snow blower.

Regardless of which model you buy, be prepared that neither will do as much work as a decent Ford 6**, let alone an 8**, except, perhaps now removal projects.

SDT
The front mounted blower on the LX3310 is sweet! But if I didn't want the mid-mount PTO for that I would have gone up to the L3901

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Same as with many of these discussions.

1. B is lighter. Do you plan to transport it anywhere? Are you limited in the weight you can transport? Are your lawns of a quality where driving a heavier machine over them would make anyone in your household unhappy (either yourself or significant others). If the answers to all those questions are no, then get the heaviest tractor you can.

2. LX is more capable but more expensive. Do you need that capability? Can you afford it? If you can afford it and have use for it then get it. My rough maths says a BX is for around 1 acre, a B2601 for around 3-4 acres, 5-10 acres would be an LX. Of course, it depends what you're actually doing with it, but an LX is not unreasonable, and you're doing a fair bit of snow and driveway by the sounds.

3. L2501 is a good recommendation if you're not mowing. If not mowing, then a front mount snowblower would be the only reason not to get an L2501. Otherwise, they're a much bigger and more powerful machine than an LX (on paper they look quite similar, in reality they're actually a fair bit more capable).

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Very quickly, the B's are gonna get rare as hen's teeth. Dealers are getting/extending some nice purchase options on the LX, since that's the newest model. Sitting side by side, the LX is a bit larger/beefier. It's got a weight advantage, especially in the SU version with larger tires and ballast in the tires. I wanted the B2680 TLB package, but someone wanted it more than me and bought it before I made up my mind. So, opted for the LX-2610 SU instead. Was actually less expensive that the B. Unfortunately, I don't have the BH77 yet, and won't be getting it before January. Kubota is having delivery issues on the subframes for the LX tractors.

Check out Messick's on Youtube. Lots of good info on there, and good comparisons of the LX and B.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think you're talking about the B2650. The OP is talking about the B2601, that model has not been discontinued.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
As a new B2601 owner, I can understand the back and forth the OP is going through now. I think there is some good advice in this thread already. It comes down to your intended uses and then leaving enough room for things you haven't thought of and buying the most flexible platform that makes sense. Sure the LX is more capable than the B by a margin, but it is also a decent chunk of $ more expensive.

When I made my choice I was looking at BX's and quickly realized the B2601 was the best choice for my needs and allowed plenty of flexibility with implement options and power for what I will use it for, If I had more land and more money to burn I might have gone LX but the weight on the lawn of both my properties and septic fields was a consideration.

Weigh all the pros and cons side by side and really think through the use cases you will have now and what might you encounter in the future.

Good luck !!!

Reactions: 2 users

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin

Thx for looking.
Thanks much for all the reply's, comments and considerations. A couple of responses:

I'm committed to buying in 2020 because of current financing and other incentives so I need to look at current inventory only. In my market area, therer is only 1 available LX2610-SU and 1 available B2601. I got quotes on both outfitted the same and the LX is actually very slightly cheaper. I've decided to go that route.

I wish i could afford something i the L series but they are in short supply and a bit too much $.

At this point I can NOT afford a blower or even a front blade. I've done OK with FEL bucket on mt Fords.

I will definitely count on adding chains.

again-thanks fro the advice.

Can anybody comment on value of that used 1989 L2850 with FEL and a scaper box I asked about? owner is asking $13,500.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
LX SU has some functions removed compared to the non-SU model, but I can't recall what. It might be the mid-PTO - have you checked?

An LX for the price of a B2601 is a good deal.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
LX SU has some functions removed compared to the non-SU model, but I can't recall what. It might be the mid-PTO - have you checked?

An LX for the price of a B2601 is a good deal.
Removal of mid-PTO is the biggie - most other items are “creature comforts”. Messicks has a detailed video of differences.

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
The LX has the mid-PTO, tilt steering and armrests. I sat on both prior to making a decision, LX vs LX-SU, I went the SU route, knew I would be okay without the mid-PTO, no tilt was also a non-issue, you won't kick yourself for MORE tractor! Make sure you get the 60" bucket!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The mid-PTO is the only feature I'd worry about with the SU. You are in snow country - are you sure you'll never want a front snowblower? If not, then the SU is great buying.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I would suggest the LX2610 with 60" QA bucket and for your use on snow R3 tires rather than R4's.
I would second the R3/Turfs for snow........I have been impressed with their performance (without chains so far) with my steep 500' driveway in the snow.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
The LX is closer in specs to the B2650, the B2601 is a little smaller.
Even if the other option was the B2650 , I would go LX unless the price difference is to big to pass up.
The LX has new positioned joystick, less likely to bumb with leg.
and if you ever add the front snow blower, it has a new mid moint quick hitch.
For snow I was told turf tires work best, I use turf tires loaded and the seam to work really good.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK, having just bought a B2601 I will give you my .02 cents. If you are over 5 and 1/2 feet tall old crippled up and over weight, ( I fit into all of those categories :) ) Get your dealer to bring each one out and see how you like the kitchen, I find it a tad to small for me, and the rocker foot pedal I think is a poor idea, again just my .02 cents Other wise the B2601 is a very capable platform. It has already taken the NEW off the grapple, plenty of power and very maneuverable. Now in hind sight, I would have probbly gone with the LX if only for the larger operators compartment, which may not be much larger or not at all. Had I done like I said and had the deal bring one out to try for a day or so. The things I mentioned are not a real deal breaker to be honest. At the very least drive one of each around the dealers parking lot. The added weight of the LX I doubt will make much difference to your lawn/fields