Buying a tractor FEL and BH 30 hp range

walle

Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2017
islip ny
what is the deference between the L3301 and the B3350su besides comfort, I have 20 acres with a lot rock stone and 4 acres of grass .I plan on digging a 200 ft trench for water drainage ,cable run from cabin to the barn. Any ideas on what would be a better machine for this property ?

KubotaVet

Equipment
1942 9N, B2650/Cab
Jan 16, 2017
Northern Minnesota
The difference is the L3301 will run and the B3350 will spent most of its time at the dealer. The B3350 has all kinds of DPF emission issues and from what I've read the L series don't. If you want a B series tractor the B2650 doesn't have any tier 4 emissions junk on it at all, so I bought the B2650 when I was shopping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
The difference is the L3301 will run and the B3350 will spent most of its time at the dealer. The B3350 has all kinds of DPF emission issues and from what I've read the L series don't. If you want a B series tractor the B2650 doesn't have any tier 4 emissions junk on it at all, so I bought the B2650 when I was shopping.

The L2501 has no DPF either.

KubotaVet

Equipment
1942 9N, B2650/Cab
Jan 16, 2017
Northern Minnesota
I was in the market for the same size tractor a few months ago. My old tractor was a 30 hp B7800. I was instantly drawn to the B3350 til I learned the EPA decided to ruin diesel compact tractors the same way they ruined diesel trucks (DPF systems). So I ran to the B2650. I would never spend that kind of money on a piece of equipment that had that system if I could help it!

I suggest asking yourself if you really need a 30hp+ tractor or will the B2650 or L2501 work? The problem with anything bigger it will have some sort of tier 4 engine emissions crap on it. Those systems aren't proven to work 20+ years. Also engineers might come up with a new bullet proof system or the EPA will give up on the idea altogether. Which will give the current tractors with this system a stigma and will most likely lower its used value. I bought my 03 B7800 with FEL for $15,000, I sold it for $12,000. If I wanted to wait to find the right buyer I could have gotten $12,500 - $13,000. So in fourteen years I only took a $3,000 loss on the tractor. Anything with these new systems haven't proven to hold their value like that yet.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well I have a more hopeful point of view, but no crystal ball. I would avoid the B3350, it really does have some problems, its dpf system is way more complex than that on the other tractors. But I have both a B2650 and an L3560 which kind of bracket the hp you are wanting, and can recommend both. The L dpf systems are a different design, and are put on nice engines, also newer design. I would suggest you go around and drive the B2650, L2501, L3301, and L3560. Each has some strong points. The 3560 has a beefier frame, maybe better for backhoe work.

walle

Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2017
islip ny
Thank you for the information it was very informative , I think I made my up my mind . I'm going to purchase a ( Massey Ferguson )LOL I have a massey 1526 its made from aluminum cans . I'm looking closer at the L series because of the cast iron rear housing for back . I have made a mistake an bought an over sized lawn tractor
thank you

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
B3350 owner here, so far my b3350 if perfect, all I read is negative things about the b3350, maybe they are justified, not sure, they have produce ten of thousands of these tractors and still in production, if they are that sorry of a tractor I blame Kubota, why are they still selling and making the B3350 if they are no good, IMO a b2650 will not do what my B3350 will do, today my tractor is great, tomorrow I my be eaten Crow, but if it is as bad as everyone is saying then the Kubota company is a sorry no good company, am I the only happy B3350 owner ??

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Myb3350, there are a bunch of happy b3350 owners out there, and it is a mystery to me why some have troubles and others don't. Kubota has paused shipping them (rumored anyway) once or twice while they worked on the problems. They have taken back units that couldn't be made to work right for that particular owner. So I wouldn't say that the corporation is "No good". I have the impression that the successful users live in warmer climates, have uses for them with high rpm's like pto work, and have a high attention to detail so they don't miss the blinking lights and follow the directions correctly. In addition there are a bunch of unknowns like some small variation in the source of parts and in the accessories chosen and used by the owners. I think it may be possible to overload the electrical system so that the tractor can't pull enough current for part of the regen cycle. This is all speculation on my part so take it for what its worth. But you live where it is warm and I surely hope yours goes on working well. Walle lives where it is cold, so I would be less optimistic. I hope Kubota is able to sort out the problems because they are nice little tractors.

KubotaVet

Equipment
1942 9N, B2650/Cab
Jan 16, 2017
Northern Minnesota
I think Sheepfarmer hit the nail on the head. From what I've read the B3350's haven't been getting hot enough to complete a re-gen properly (for some people). If you live in a warm climate maybe that won't be a issue, but if you don't, beware. I live in a area where I've seen it get as cold as -40f (temp not windchill factor), and 0 to -20f is very common. I couldn't trust that a B3350 would work as it should when I needed it, therefore I bought a B2650.

Also I use diesel trucks everyday that have some sort of re-gen system on them and none of them work properly. Every few months one of them will have issues and need to go into the shop for re-gen related repairs. It's amazing how not much is mentioned (media) about this problem with all new diesel trucks. There's even a new industry that's popped up to do EGR/DPF computer deletes to bypass these systems altogether, so the trucks will actually operate reliably. I work for local government so unfortunately we can't do a system delete, we just have to keep dealing with unreliably trucks.

I didn't want any part of that for my personal equipment!

EDIT: I should point out that one reason we have more of our share of problems is our trucks are mainly aerial lift's that don't leave town and idle all day while working. The re-gen systems are made for work when you're going down the highway, not idling (again I think heat is the reason). So now we have to take these new trucks on the highway every week to try and force a re-gen. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, a few months ago one of our trucks just died on the interstate trying to re-gen. The whole thing has been a nightmare!

Last edited:

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
OR you could buy a used rig, add a backhoe and be done. They are out there.

https://madison.craigslist.org/grd/6012550967.html

Seems the new diesels (tractors and trucks) are for the majority (people who drive/use them hard as intended).
For the folks who use them for unconventional tasks or folks who just want to use them sparingly or idle them a lot are going to have problems with the new equipment as they don't fit in the majority. The older equipment has no problems with any user.
So much for progress...:(