Buying a new tractor

hunter48820

Jul 12, 2011
Dewitt, MI
Hi All,
I'm in the market for a new tractor within the next few months. I've not dealt with tractor/implement dealers before and am wondering just how the dealing works.

I see on the Kubota website, they give a list price but it also states that it doesn't include: "taxes, shipping & handling, surcharges, assembly charges, destination, freight and/or delivery charges."

So first of all, I'm wondering what the actual cost will be as compared to the "Total configured price of model." I understand that the dealer has no control of taxes, which in Michigan is 6%. But how much (if any) do all these extras add to the list price that Kubota quotes on their website for the tractor and accessories?

Then, do tractor/implement dealers deal on these units or is it pretty much the list price that I will pay. I just have no idea how much buying a tractor is like buying a car or truck and would like to be a little more knowledgeable with the subject.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this! :)

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
First: Allow me to be the first to say welcome to OTT.

Second: If you are looking at a Kubota. You are already wise, but then I could be biased.

Third: When I bought mine it was actually cheaper than the one I built on the Kubota website. Now with that extra money I reinvested it in more implements ;)

I have had my little tractor for 3 years and I still consider myself a green-horn. I may have had just blind luck, but I don't think so. I would call other Kubota dealers get the best deal and SERVICE you can.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Fourth: The support your get here for nearly all your questions! Sure made a difference for me when I began with the orange blood transfusion. regardless how trivial YOU may think it is someone should be able to help you out.

I believe this is a unique community. In my case, where else is there a group of folks ready to help you repair etc my 35yo B7100 just so I could go get it in the dirt to play again. most people from the farmall groups i was part of before would croak if you don't restore and put it away.

Oh...Welcome, you'll like it around here!

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Welcome to OTT. The people on this site are very helpful and knowledgeable. You can learn a lot here. With this tough economy it should be a good time to get a deal. A friend of mine got a new 2008 L3240 this year. The tractor had been on the lot since 2008. Needless to say he got a deal. On the other hand you may want to consider used. There are some excellent deals on used Kubotas with low hours. You can Google "Search Tempest" which is a means for searching Craigslist. Tempest allows you to put in your zip code, price range, radius of search and other parameters and make a search without having to click on each city. It is fast and is a good way to get an idea of what kinds of deals are out there. Even if you decide against buying a used tractor, looking at the prices used Kubotas are bringing can be helpful. There can be pitfalls with used equipment but you can learn to avoid them. Good luck.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
I think that you should be considering several different brands. You need to be comfortable in the dealer that you have in the fact that the service department, sales, parts and the general dealership is well set up.

The other thing is that you like the tractor and you are comfortable on the tractor, the ergonomics have to fit you and the ease of use also is a high consideration as if you like most of us, you will be on it alot so that you can maintain your property.

When I was shopping for my new tractor I could not get the dealer to come down on the price of the tractor and the green and yellow dealer was very willing to deal. I ended up with the green and yellow. I have always like Kubota's and they are excellent tractors but you have to shop and compare.

The thing I find is the dealers are a bit different but they are similar to car dealers of 30-40 years ago. Most dealers do not use high pressure and they do not have the salesman doing the silly game of running to the sales manager every five minutes for this or that making you stew. For the most part you should be able to get the price down between 5-10% lower then the list price.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When I bought my L 3000 the pricing was very close no matter which brand or dealer I went to for the most part. In the end I went with the one that sold Bushhog implements. On my M 9000 it was very different. A green one was 15K higher, red and blue were about 12K higher. Even on the orange the price was better at certain dealers. I was lucky enough to have a small family owned dealer in my area that treats their customers like gold. Staying with Orange was a no brainer.