bushogging with MX5100

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
I just p/u the MX5100 from the dealer, he was showing me how I need to hook up the RCF2772 Landpride rotary cutter. He told me to leave 4"-8" of swing on cutter, and that if I left it ridgid I could break something if I was to hit anything. Correct me if Im wrong but isn't that what the slip clutch is for?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Bush hoggin is the weirdest thing to contend with sometimes. For me I set the top link tight like I would any other implement. If I need to pick it up off the ground fast I can. I've heard talk from other people I know who just hook up the 2 lower links and leave the top link off all together. I supposed that causes the hog to float. I've always ran mine tight and stiff so if I need to pick it up off the ground over an obstacle I can or if I need to back into thick brush I can lift it high and drop it down into a pile of growth.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Seems to me like you said the slip clutch, sheer pin and stump jumper would protect it from destroying the hog if ya hit anything.

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
Do you think your dealer meant 6 to 8 inches of swing side to side? I would think you'd be hitting your tires if it was that loose. At the very least having 700 to 800 pounds swinging around 6 to 8 inches back there would damage something on your tractor all on its own. I have a 5 foot light duty bush hog and I keep it fairly tight side to side and am careful when I make turns so I don't hit anything with the bush hog.

Battered Sav

Equipment
L2000DT (L225DT) Tiller, Slasher, Finishing mower, Ripper, grader/ripper, PHD.
Oct 1, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Do you think your dealer meant 6 to 8 inches of swing side to side? I would think you'd be hitting your tires if it was that loose. At the very least having 700 to 800 pounds swinging around 6 to 8 inches back there would damage something on your tractor all on its own. I have a 5 foot light duty bush hog and I keep it fairly tight side to side and am careful when I make turns so I don't hit anything with the bush hog.
+1
I'm also thinking he meant lateral play and probably measured at the point furthest from the tractor.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Yes, he said it needed to swing side to side so if you run over something you wont break any linkage. My thought was thats why they put a slip clutch, and stump jumper on these machines. Yeah your right there is no way Im going to let that much weight swing around, also it is a CAT 1 or 2 clevis so its a good 6" slide when that thing is swinging.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I think you are going to have some play built into the system, I set my lower lift arms to the widest setting to the outside of the clevis points and if you put side to side force on the tail wheel, it has some movement. 4"-8" at the tail wheel is not going to be much closer to the tractor.

You do need some give in the system for when you hit something which you will eventually.

Your operator's manual will show proper setup and the pivot hitch is supposed to be at about 45 degrees to allow it to follow the contour of the land.

I have a hydraulic top link and adjust it tight to back over ditches etc., otherwise I let it float.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I set mine with the least amount of side movement as I can. Nothing I hate more than to make a turn and have a implement slam to one side or the other. Looks like to me having a heavy implement slamming around from side to side would be worse on the linkage than anything you might hit.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I have ran them both ways, no slack and some slack, some slack (side to side movement) results in less damage. Excessive slack is also not desired due to the momentum built up, but some has worked best for me. None of the tractors I now operate can be configured to eliminate all slack unlike some of my other units with turnbuckles and rigid stabilizer bars.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I have telescoping stabilizers and set then with very little swing. A little is OK.

I've had stabilizers bend in the past from too much play and a hard slam to one side.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
I think you are going to have some play built into the system, I set my lower lift arms to the widest setting to the outside of the clevis points and if you put side to side force on the tail wheel, it has some movement. 4"-8" at the tail wheel is not going to be much closer to the tractor.

You do need some give in the system for when you hit something which you will eventually.

Your operator's manual will show proper setup and the pivot hitch is supposed to be at about 45 degrees to allow it to follow the contour of the land.

I have a hydraulic top link and adjust it tight to back over ditches etc., otherwise I let it float.
Thats kind of what Im coming up with, I went to TSC and found some CAT 3 bushing that are roughly 3", when I put my arms to the outer part of the clevis and have the bushing on the inside when the mower slides its only about 3" either way, thanks for all the replies guys, 5 min. of posting sure saves alot of headache