bush hog newbie questions

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
I picked up a 4 foot Walco bush hog on the weekend and was going to change the gearbox lube and grease it and sharpen it before I put it to work. Here are the novice questions: what is the easiest way to sharpen it, while it is on the tractor or otherwise, and is it likely to have a drain plug on the gearbox and would it likely take 80 or 90 wt lube? Thanks.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say take the blades off and put an edge on them with a bench grinder. That how I do mine and that works best for me. The drain plug should be on the side of the gear box somewhere and 80 or 90 weight oil will be fine.

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
Thanks for the tips Eric, do you turn your hog upside down to remove the blades or do you do it on the 3ph and just lift it up as high as it will go? I did find the gearbox drain plug, I can't imagine what Iwas looking for yesterday? I have one other quick question: the shear bolt is hidden behind the rear drive line guard, can one of you gentlemen tell me how to remove the rear half of the drive line guard or at least the big collar over the universal? I have never removed a drive line guard before and am very reluctant to put a bar on it. Thanks again.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well I have an older Woods M4 bush hog and it has a access cover that is removed and that lets me get to the blades on the hog without having to jack it up, work off the tractor or anything dangerious. And as far as the PTO shield it depends on weather yours is made of plastic or metal. My Landpride finishing mower has a plastic PTO shield and I can slip the ends back off the U joint and lube up or repair.